702 this morning about cycling vs motorists

Garfield2010

No, Im not a policeman, but like any law abiding citizen (or I like to think I am) I do get frustrated when someone is breaking the law. Its natural.

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

No, Im not a policeman, but like any law abiding citizen (or I like to think I am) I do get frustrated when someone is breaking the law. Its natural.

Sure. Frustrated to the point where you break the law yourself? To what end?

What will happen if a traffic official patrols the cradle area on a Saturday morning and actually start handing out fines to all breaking the law?

They'll run out of fine books in about 17 seconds...

Wrong attitude, IMO. The "these are my priorities and yours are wrong" is exactly what we need less of. Imagine every week a bunch of cow herders left their herds on your road and it took you 10 minutes to drive through them each weekend. Cow herder says "hey. chill. so it takes you 10 extra minutes each day? You'll live longer if you relax."

In my case it wasn't "slow down before I pass", it was "follow cyclists up the hill and around it until I, at some point, think it's safe to pass". Oh, then another group. And then another. I was livid by the end of it. If we don't understand the residents' position, they won't understand ours.

In the big picture though, are cyclists really the biggest problem on our roads? Worse tha taxis and the conditions of our roads? Worse than drunk drivers and unlicenced cars? No. We're easy targets for people to moan and point fingers at. Its about priorities. FIrst fix the more important issues at hand and then people can come and complain endlessly.

If the roads are that quiet, I recommend a threesome and 4 breasts at minimum.

Yelling TREK or I'll pomp...

In the big picture though, are cyclists really the biggest problem on our roads? Worse tha taxis and the conditions of our roads? Worse than drunk drivers and unlicenced cars? No. We're easy targets for people to moan and point fingers at. Its about priorities. FIrst fix the more important issues at hand and then people can come and complain endlessly.

I get it, but in the game of road-users we're the ones getting killed. There is no benefit in being aggressive to a driver. I can't see the downsides to riding safely and essentially holding up our end of the bargain. Now, I can't fix Zuma's kid stealing your money or rhinos being shot, but hopefully I can help convince cyclists to be a bit safer. If the big clubs are being better about it, we're already halfway there. Now it's just you ;)

What will happen if a traffic official patrols the cradle area on a Saturday morning and actually start handing out fines to all breaking the law?

I wanna see how a traffic cop's going to stop a bunch of 50, when he starts with Piet pompies at the front of the group, where I won't be, I'll just make a U-turn and ride away lol

We are just not a tolerant nation, that's all. Same happens between Kite Surfers and Wind Surfers, Fishermen and Skiers, etc. Everywhere people are supposed to share some resource, these things just happen.

Maybe we need a proper war so we can get our priorities in order again.

I get it, but in the game of road-users we're the ones getting killed. There is no benefit in being aggressive to a driver. I can't see the downsides to riding safely and essentially holding up our end of the bargain. Now, I can't fix Zuma's kid stealing your money or rhinos being shot, but hopefully I can help convince cyclists to be a bit safer. If the big clubs are being better about it, we're already halfway there. Now it's just you ;)

I'm not in favour of drivers or cyclists getting aggressive. At all. And I agree about riding safely and obeying the road rules. The problem is that a lot of the time big bunches form when there are a lot of cyclists out on the road and these bunches take up too much space unfortuantely. I ride with CycleLab atll the time and I've noticed this. Nobody is intentionally trying to take up too much space, and if they are then they are definitely in the wrong. Make no mistake. Someone mentioned tolerance earlier and thats ll that it comes down to.

Well at least if there is "visible policing" then perhaps it will be better?

As you all said we are a nation that apparently cannot control ourselves so maybe we then need a push in the right directions.

SEE THIS AS A WARNING. I WILL BE IN THE CRADLE AS PER USUAL ON SATURDAY MORNING AND WILL NOT HESITATE TO MAKE A CITIZENS ARREST SHOULD ANY ONE OF YOU VOKKERS NOT RIDE IN SINGLE FILE.

You have been wanred.

Maybe we need a proper war so we can get our priorities in order again.

Now there you go. You have obviously been in a proper war. And know that's the only way to get priorities in order. Idiot.

I have ridden in bunches of 35 and upwards in Richardsbay, and we managed to maintain two abreast for at least 95% of the time, even at 5 am....simply by some of the stronger riders taking charge.

I would blame the organizers and marshals...

I am sure that rules of the ride is explained beforehand, so just go to the offender and chuck him/her out the bunch. They will either stop riding or obey. From the start I was taught that two abreast only happens on a wide shoulder, and three abreast happens when you pass.

Well at least if there is "visible policing" then perhaps it will be better?

As you all said we are a nation that apparently cannot control ourselves so maybe we then need a push in the right directions.

SEE THIS AS A WARNING. I WILL BE IN THE CRADLE AS PER USUAL ON SATURDAY MORNING AND WILL NOT HESITATE TO MAKE A CITIZENS ARREST SHOULD ANY ONE OF YOU VOKKERS NOT RIDE IN SINGLE FILE.

You have been wanred.

Some joker is going to put drawing pins down, ready for the single-file and it'll end up a rider-resident war, with Malema leading the riders. He did buy a bike a month or so ago. I reckon he doesn't ride single file, though.

Some joker is going to put drawing pins down, ready for the single-file and it'll end up a rider-resident war, with Malema leading the riders. He did buy a bike a month or so ago. I reckon he doesn't ride single file, though.

Nah...he rides double-wide with abnormal load signage......like me :blush: