Why cyclists get killed....

Stuart Queripel

Fact: Cycling in poor light conditions without lights and reflective gear is dangerous.

Fact: Not all cyclist killed are because of poor visibility and poor reflective kit on the bicycles.

I just wish that South Africans would spend the same amount of energy we spend on judging other poeple on keeping our side of the judgements clean.

• Replies 127
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

As a cyclist on the road I believe in this moto:

YOU CAN NEVER BE VISIBLE ENOUGH!!!

If you don't care about your life or the lives of others, then don't bother.

On some over zealous safety evangelists info to educate those who do wrong...

I am at a loss for words... actually I am not... I am weird-ed out how the moderators - like juvenile radio DJ's - try to direct sentiment to their own subjective point of view...

If we all agree with moderators then we should just let them run the show... this sounds like something else??? not sure what it is?

I just re-read the entire thread, and I can't see a single post from a moderator so far.

Indeed, the value of the post has been lost in the frantic need to find fault with the motorist. If I was a new cyclist and perhaps did not understand the issue of riding in the dark, I would find the video very informational, people here seem to forget that because they have years of experience and understand traffic issues, everyone does, but its not so, new riders may not quite understand and if it saves someone getting run over by making them go out and buy some lights and reflective clothing, I think its an excellent post, but hey, that's just me, obviously in the minority.

The sad fact is that the OP and the crusade to burn the unknown rider at the stake will most probably do more to turn people away from cycling & cyclists than to educate them w.r.t the dangers due to lack of visibility.

I do not have a problem with the fact that the cyclist is riding without lights, it is his life! I do not agree with it though! I cannot have 'problems' with everybody and everything I deem to be wrong everywhere in the world. I'll die of a heart attack!

My issue here has more to do with the hostile attitude exhibited above by cyclists (OP & others calling for brains to be splatter, calling of names, etc, etc, etc, ad nauseam)

To everybody, keep this attitude in mind: "God give me the "grace" to accept things I cannot change give me the "courage" to change the things I can change and the "wisdom" to know the difference."

This whole thread is devoid of grace, courage & wisdom!

If you did plan to stop and educate them, I'm sure you will get flamed for not minding your own business.

If you did plan to stop and educate them, I'm sure you will get flamed for not minding your own business.

Absolutely.

People are unapproachable.

So you will only be labelled as one who provokes and be accused of looking for trouble.

People can't handle the truth and straightforwardness.

Pretty much like here in HubLand.

BoB, I reckon Goya thinks you are a MOD, but I can see where he is coming from in regard to the MOD's.

Lastly, the OP did well by posting this, it sends s gentle message to those, who as the cyclist in the video simply couldn't give a hoot.

As for the cyclist in the vid.

Let him sukkel through life all by himself.

Edited by Dangle

The sad fact is that the OP and the crusade to burn the unknown rider at the stake will most probably do more to turn people away from cycling & cyclists than to educate them w.r.t the dangers due to lack of visibility.

I do not have a problem with the fact that the cyclist is riding without lights, it is his life! I do not agree with it though! I cannot have 'problems' with everybody and everything I deem to be wrong everywhere in the world. I'll die of a heart attack!

My issue here has more to do with the hostile attitude exhibited above by cyclists (OP & others calling for brains to be splatter, calling of names, etc, etc, etc, ad nauseam)

To everybody, keep this attitude in mind: "God give me the "grace" to accept things I cannot change give me the "courage" to change the things I can change and the "wisdom" to know the difference."

This whole thread is devoid of grace, courage & wisdom!

I have a problem with this! What if it is me who hits this moron because he is too stupid (you should have some reflective tape etc on the bike and helmet at least!) to take any precautions?

I then have to deal with a damaged car, drawn out court cases, distraught families? I had a motorcycle accident 10 years ago, it took 10 wasted trips to the court to get my name cleared as I was being done for negligent driving even though the useless truck driver was totally in the wrong! I don't fancy that again!

Absolutely.

People are unapproachable.

So you will only be labelled as one who provokes and be accused of looking for trouble.

People can't handle the truth and straightforwardness.

Pretty much like here in HubLand.

BoB, I reckon Goya thinks you are a MOD, but I can see where he is coming from in regard to the MOD's.

Lastly, the OP did well by posting this, it sends s gentle message to those, who as the cyclist in the video simply couldn't give a hoot.

As for the cyclist in the vid.

Let him sukkel through life all by himself.

Very often it is also how one approaches a person, but yes people tend to get aggro very easily

Very often it is also how one approaches a person, but yes people tend to get aggro very easily

I agree with you, but here in S.A. it's pride over humanity of late.

I just re-read the entire thread, and I can't see a single post from a moderator so far.

I was actually refeering to Forum Managers and the like

True, everyone for himself

Yeah, Eldron phrased it best on another thread.

I think the problem is a forum. Yes, we can all some on here and moan and groan about people doing stupid things, but that is not doing anything except making you feel better about it maybe and if it does make you feel better then I feel sorry for you. My point is this, rather do something about the problem then come moan and tell us how you fixed it.