Polar hrm vs garmin

solly

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Having recently been down this path (still on it actually), it seems the Garmin Edge 500 is the best option for me anyway.

For me, the Polar software etc is poor, and the Garmin offers the ability to share with the dozens of E500 users on here already.

Do a search for Garmin, and you'll see lots of content.

I have a polar at the moment, and I cant wait to get something better.

I've used both and can honestly say that I do not want to own another Polar product till they sort out the strap-sensor-unit communication.

Garmin is a good product, user friendly but the battery life is a pain in the backside especially on stage races when your tent is not equipped with an electrical outlet...

Garmin gets my vote

Lol, good luck with this mine field! I have a polar Rcx800 and love it. According to me it is better than every aspect of Garmin for my needs. People tend to vehemently defend their watches as if it is their offspring though so good luck with a clear and unbiased answer. Head over to www.dcrainmaker.com for indepth review. He only has the polar rcx5 though and for me the rxc800cx is a superior watch.

I would say if you do not like to charge your phone after every second ride, do not want to buy a new watch when the battery fail, are very analytical and runs then Polar is best.

If you would go off your knocker if you have to strap a gps pod to your arm for gps capibilities, if you are frustrated buy infra-red technology and old protocols (not sure what it means), if you want a prettier day-to-day watch. Go for Garmin.

I may have missed important points but please send PM if you have any questions, will gladly help.

I've used both and can honestly say that I do not want to own another Polar product till they sort out the strap-sensor-unit communication.

Garmin is a good product, user friendly but the battery life is a pain in the backside especially on stage races when your tent is not equipped with an electrical outlet...

Garmin gets my vote

What issues do they have with strap-hr? I have honestly never had a problem.....and been using polars for 6 years.

i have used both Polar and Garmin. Both are good units and both have lots of issues (freezing up, loss of h/r readings, battery life etc etc).

Polar h/r strap, despite washing regularily, does oxidise and the contact on the little connector studs can be intermittent. Garmin rubber h/r strap is better. garmin has great training programability on the PC, Polar has this too, but not as good.

Polar needs a seperate GPS unit, garmin is built in.

Polar pc software is slightly better, but not an issue if you prefer Strava or Endomondo.

My garmins battery life is limited (305) but with the newer models this is much improved.

Garmin can display more info on a ride.

Polar has better warrenty service - can take time as they do get busy - clue here?

I only use Garmin now, slightly less issues than the Polar.

What issues do they have with strap-hr? I have honestly never had a problem.....and been using polars for 6 years.

I've been using my polar for 12 years and also never had an issue.

Garmin!

Great support, great product.

Only had 1 issue that was not involved with a crash and it was rectified within a week.

I can only vouch for what i have so here is it. The Polar x725 has served me well for the last 8 years. One thing that is amazing is the service you get from polar. I can still send my watch in for repairs and for a very reasonable price get everything replaced. My watch is more than 8 years old but it looks like new.

From a logistical point of few I do not know how they managed to maintain so many models for so long.

I am not saying that German does not do it also but I know that a polar is a good choice if you don't want to buy a new watch ever 5 years.

Edited by Hannes Zietsman

I want a comp that displays the most info and does not need charging all time. Which of these shows all the aspects like hr,speed,cadence,distance on one screen