Supplements for children and school kids

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

To the OP: why does your website not detail specifically why your product is more suited to kids than the next brand? It's shocking to me that you don't feel it necessary to disclose this level of detail, and also that your customers are either ignorant or indifferent enough not to have demanded it from you.

A friend who works in pediatric nutrition has looked at your site and cannot make any kind of judgement about what you are putting in your products : the quality of ingredients, source of the ingredients, whether it's safe for kids to use etc.

As a starting point, what type of protein and sweeteners are you putting in your products?

I'd definitely get this type of info up on the site asap.

Will have the nutritional values up shortly - All our products are approved by the medical council of SA, and meet the dietry requirements for school children. I am a parent myself so I respect your concerns and I understand at least where you coming from, I realise this is a hotly debated topic, one should consider all variables use the product don't use the product, consider its benefits in conjunction with a healthy balanced diet, at the end of the day as a parent make a responsible decision in consultation with your dietician.

This one of there u/16 sponsored athletes.

297075_282972608386008_274378149245454_1349765_3684766_n.jpg

Nort Bru, check ma Guns.... Eish! My son is in boarding school as it's pretty shocking to see his 15 year old peers walking in on a Sunday night with a 5kg bucket of protein shake, meal replacement etc...

Its often amazing how little the "informed" know about their subject! Supplements are not for creating anything more than what you started with - it is merely aimed at allowing your body to recover to its original state after an intense training session. It is no magic wand - it was started by God when he offered supplements to the Israelites in the form of manna as a carb shake and kwartels for protein. REPUTABLE supplement producers does exactly that - and that is what Sportsmax is trying to replicate. If you have a misconception of the role of supplements you should maybe look at the ingredients of the one you use and also the reason why you use it - I get the impression most respondents view supplements as a chemical aid to make them do more than what they have conditioned their bodies and minds for! A growing child require a different mix than someone else. Well done Sportmax for exploring that ...

seems that way

Fortunately we don't use the jury system but the Roman-Dutch law for a specific reason - it is fair and considers facts rather than perception :-)! No reason to run or hide as the informed will provide protection!

I see the kids - high school age at the Steenberg Virgin Active, putting this stuff away like there is no tomorrow, with no understanding of what is going into their growing bodies. At that age I was doing two or three sports, cycling to school and back and was active 6 days a week and had no need of any supplements and had no issues at all, just a big appetite and parents who made decent healthy food. There is no way that my kids are getting any of this rubbish. There is no place for this stuff in a kid's diet.

It's a slippery slope; once you start on sweet, chocolatey meal replacements and bars how on earth will they ever eat normally again.

Well put, Luke.

I agree. OP, shame on you, go get a real job and leave the kids alone.

The biggest thing about sport supplements is why is there a need to take them. For children there is room in market as some children especially boarding school kids may not get the correct meals required with they extreme schedules. I wouldn't say kids need mass builder etc. But a scientifically proven meal replacement could be valid.

BS

WTF!?!?!?! Can't believe what I am seeing. As if my son don't have enough energy already!

Edited by dee_biker

Im not against supplements at all, but there is one catch.. And i can prove this to you.. It starts with harmless protein shakes at 15 years old (which parents allow), then creatine or a shake with creatine in it (that parents think is a normal shake). Then pre work out and during work out drinks (which parents think are harmless, or they dont know about them). Then hormone enhancers (behind the parents back), then milld steroids (pill form - mainly ones that claim to just give you increased strength and not massive size), then full on injecting.. Trust me guys.. This happens to the most part of the youth that are into the gyming/rugby scene.. Im urging parents to watch out for this actually, it can ruin lives.

Really shocking.

Kids do NOT need supplements - ever.

Building all that muscle on a developing body will take it's toll sooner than you realise.

Fortunately we don't use the jury system but the Roman-Dutch law for a specific reason - it is fair and considers facts rather than perception :-)! No reason to run or hide as the informed will provide protection!

My boys will have a good diet untill they are 18 and then they can look at supplements.Some multivitamin syrup is all they need now.

Do you have kids?What products do they use?

Slightly off-topic, but I find it amazing how many kids in my daughters class ( she is 11) get given Monster or Red Bull with their school lunches. I dont know, but I find that just crazy.

Slightly off-topic, but I find it amazing how many kids in my daughters class ( she is 11) get given Monster or Red Bull with their school lunches. I dont know, but I find that just crazy.

and the school allows it?

Edited by gummibear