Petrol price-up another 28c

Mojoman

If we had a dedicated cycle lane and motorists who stayed out of that lane then maybe some wud consider the route of commuting to work.

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Can I ask a question out of interest:

As a result of the increase in petrol price and the e-tag system in Gauteng how many of you are SERIOUSLY considering changing the way you get to and from work be it either by bicycle or some form of public transport or a car pool?

Interesting to see the answers

As for work, many Gautengers don't have much choice but to stick with the car. Roads are extremely busy at 5h30, in winter the sun only rises at 7h00.

Perhaps limit the amount of races, or cruising around on weekends?

I wonder how the Taxi industry will take this, and all the people worse off then you and I?

I wonder how the Taxi industry will take this, and all the people worse off then you and I?

Won't bother the Taxi's much. Pretty sure they are subsidised. When last did you hear of them getting upset over fuel increases?

Interesting responses

I used to live in Gauteng and fully comprehend the distances needed to be covered by some and the resulting difficulty which some of you face in light of the recent price hikes.

Fortunately, I now live in Cape Town with no e-tolls and a 7km drive to work, so my life has not bee as effected as others.

That said, the petrol price is out of hand and is going to put further pressure on an already highly pressured economy. I just read that Brittain saw negative growth in the last quarter. Unfortunately for us, the arabs are controlling the world by controlling the oil and there doesn't seem to be an end in sight unless there is a drastic improvement in the exchange rate.

The only thing we can do is cut down on the stuff that we don't really need. Its difficult, but the reality is that is the times we live in.

Edited by Zula

I'm fortunate enough to get company petrol so I don't really check the petrol price much - I checked it out last week and DAMN HOLY BAZOOKA OF ALL THINGS SANE - it'll be over R12/litre after this hike.

When did that happen?

CPI is supposed to be 6% but in April 2010 the petrol price was R8.40/litre in April 2012 it will be R12.05/litre.

Thats a 43% increase in 2 years...fook!

I'm with you on this one and EXTREMELY GRATEFUL for the car and petrol......

At least I've stopped smoking and barely drink anymore, what next will I have to cut out?

At least I've stopped smoking and barely drink anymore, what next will I have to cut out?

Bye bye to the maid, the gardener...

I'm with you on this one and EXTREMELY GRATEFUL for the car and petrol......

Even better I work from my house! distance from bedroom to office about 20m!

But yes its getting ridiculous!! On the other hand, (i'm a environmentalist sort of) and if we had to pay for all the social and external costs (taking into account the damage its doing to the environment) of petrol it would cost us two three times more than what we are paying for it now.

As a result of the increase in petrol price and the e-tag system in Gauteng how many of you are SERIOUSLY considering changing the way you get to and from work be it either by bicycle or some form of public transport or a car pool?

I am looking at ways to combine my bike and Gautrain. I am also seriously considering moving from Joburg to Centurion/Irene to be closer to work, not just for costs, but to save a lot of the 90min I spend in my car every day.

They have to find alternative ways to finance the E-Tolls. They are being proactive here, if the motorists does not want to pay the tolls, find another way of getting their money.

An increase in the fuel levy is what most of the opponents to e-tolling have been suggesting all along as an alternative method of funding the roads.

Bye bye to the maid, the gardener...

No maid, No gardener, No car, No Tracy Chapmen. :( Something needs to change in SA and fast, these fat cat politicians need to see what is happening. Moe unemplyed, more people to support, and the taxi industry needs to start coughing up, as do the rest of the people getting a free ride. Edited by Caerus

Can I ask a question out of interest:

Interesting to see the answers

I saw the *** coming in 2007 already and bought a motorcycle which I use everyday. My monthly petrol bill is currently about R450 a month. It used to be about R320 some years ago.

If you want to be the richest most powerfull man/woman on earth get the monopoly for building cars that run on something like seawater.