Coffee machine

My favourites are Arpeggio and Indriya. Just got back from the Waterfront store .... ouch!! :wacko:

My gunsteling is Ristretto en Indriya. Ek maak gewoonlik 'n double shot In die oggend voor werk.

• Replies 7.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

My Nespresso machine is, after my bike, my favourite toy. Go to Sandton City if you are in GP. They have a boutique store there where you can try all the different blends in any configuration (espresso, lungo, cappucino). They also have all the machines. Start at about 1400 and go up to abnout 3500 with a "foamer".

Costing is about 5.00 - 6.50 a cup for the pods.

AWESOME!!!

Happened to be in sandton city last sat morning about 10;30 am, walked past that nespresso shop,all out war in there for supplies , was packed & centre only been open 30mins,was like a yuppy coffee war.Never realised was so many addicts & youd be fighting for pods :lol:

So I haven't read through all 45 pages, please excuse if this question has been asked.

I recently got an Ariete Cafe Retro coffee machine as a gift. It is a second-hand coffee machine, but I have always wanted one simply because of it's looks.

I know it is not the best of machines and I would even keep it just for it's looks, and buy myself something proper to make my daily fix.

BUT, I would love to be able to use this machine as my everyday coffee machine. I have already been using it and it hasn't been too bad (less than average), but I know it isn't top quality and in need of a service.

Does anyone know whether there is a place in Joburg where I could service an Ariete?

I would love to have it refurbished so that it works properly.

For those who don't know how it looks, see pic attached:

post-9446-0-86880100-1371111046_thumb.jpg

Interested in a Crossland Coffee CC1 but there's no local distributor. Anyone have a source that will ship to SA or can bring one in for me? I imagine plugs and voltage may be an issue.

Interested in a Crossland Coffee CC1 but there's no local distributor. Anyone have a source that will ship to SA or can bring one in for me? I imagine plugs and voltage may be an issue.

Drop Bill Crossland a mail... Why are you so interested in that machine specifically?

There is thread on www.home-barista.com on the CC1 - Bill posts there pretty regularly.

Drop Bill Crossland a mail... Why are you so interested in that machine specifically?

There is thread on www.home-barista.com on the CC1 - Bill posts there pretty regularly.

Thanks did so, no local supplier and he doesn't seem to be bothered to help.

Looking at a machine in that class, so Silvia/CC1 or maybe an Oscar.

Like the look and PID functionality of the CC1. Silvia looks old :)

Still looking at my options.

Thanks did so, no local supplier and he doesn't seem to be bothered to help.

Looking at a machine in that class, so Silvia/CC1 or maybe an Oscar.

Like the look and PID functionality of the CC1. Silvia looks old :)

Still looking at my options.

I don't like the CC1 because it has a thermoblock for steaming, so underpowered - although this is better than a SBDU setup sometimes.

Silvia is old, and a SBDU machine, and hard to find locally, painful if you like milk based drinks.

Oscar is Nice - My brother has one - Bar 9 in Parkhurst is your best bet for that - Allessandro. NS has some nice smaller machines.

If you want a small PID machine - Take a look at the Ascaso machines in that class - the Steel series - Contact Garth -

true@icon.co.za

http://www.ascaso.com/2012/eng/espresso-coffee-machines-grinders/steel1.html

Thanks V12! Still much research to do...

I have a Krupps which is very basic so looking to upgrade that to a prosumer/entry level home setup.

The Krupps has a Panarello frother and a pressurised portafilter so that is the main issues with it. Also the Krupps grinder is a very basic burr design.

Thus I want something with a normal steam wand so I can actually get some microfoam (with practise and lessons) and also a non-pressurised portafilter so I can pull a shot with actual crema (again with practise and lessons). To get good steam the thermoblock/coils seem to suck so a SB seems to be the best start. That's the minimum. I would also prefer something that looks nice :)

Grinder wise a prosumer/home entry level conical burr grinder that can grind fine enough for the machine I get to do shots. More consistancy in the amount of grounds and distribution of their overall fineness would also be needed.

Seems to be a big gap between the 2k appliance store machines and something decent for the home.

From what I've read the Racillio Rocky/Silvia were recommended for what I want to do and are in the ballpark price wise, which is why I mentioned them. There is a local distributor atleast.

Oscar looks good (not the best looking) but getting on the expensive side (specially factoring in a grinders cost), but again a HX so a step up from a SB I understand? Does NS make a smaller machine than the Oscar?

I liked the look and features of the CC1, but agree the steaming is not ideal.

Will take a look at the Ascaso.

I just don't want to go into the Rocket/mazzer range price and kit wise. As much I as I love coffee I don't feel I can justify it.

Thanks V12! Still much research to do...

I have a Krupps which is very basic so looking to upgrade that to a prosumer/entry level home setup.

The Krupps has a Panarello frother and a pressurised portafilter so that is the main issues with it. Also the Krupps grinder is a very basic burr design.

Thus I want something with a normal steam wand so I can actually get some microfoam (with practise and lessons) and also a non-pressurised portafilter so I can pull a shot with actual crema (again with practise and lessons). To get good steam the thermoblock/coils seem to suck so a SB seems to be the best start. That's the minimum. I would also prefer something that looks nice :)

Grinder wise a prosumer/home entry level conical burr grinder that can grind fine enough for the machine I get to do shots. More consistancy in the amount of grounds and distribution of their overall fineness would also be needed.

Seems to be a big gap between the 2k appliance store machines and something decent for the home.

From what I've read the Racillio Rocky/Silvia were recommended for what I want to do and are in the ballpark price wise, which is why I mentioned them. There is a local distributor atleast.

Oscar looks good (not the best looking) but getting on the expensive side (specially factoring in a grinders cost), but again a HX so a step up from a SB I understand? Does NS make a smaller machine than the Oscar?

I liked the look and features of the CC1, but agree the steaming is not ideal.

Will take a look at the Ascaso.

I just don't want to go into the Rocket/mazzer range price and kit wise. As much I as I love coffee I don't feel I can justify it.

Look around second hand would be my advice - with patience you might be able to find something good.

If you like milk drinks and want to play with latte art - then you should pretty much eliminate SBDU machines (bye bye Sylvia) from your selection criteria. and look for HX (heat exchanger) based machines or double boilers (DB) machines.

Prosumer DB machines are pretty pricy, so unless you find one second hand you are going to be spending more than you might want to, and that pretty much means you only have HX machines to choose from - which are great as a first machine, and a PID has little or no influence on success with them. I have a PID on a small SBDU machine at the office, and it's ok, but I drink a lot of espresso, so steaming is not that important.

I do have an HX machine at home (similar functionally to the Oscar) as well as a DB - and there is not a whole lot to choose between them functionally, once you get on top of the HX temperature management flush trick.

Most important is the grinder - second the machine - (given some reasonable functionality is available from the machine - they are pretty much all the same as far as ab initio barista's are concerned) Spend as much as you can get away with on a grinder.

You can also look at the Isomac range - www.importalia.co.za - they have several HX machines that might fit in your price range - although looking second hand is a good idea, as is going to visit Alessandro - he often has second hand machines too.

While espresso machines are expansive - the better one's will probably last neatly forever if they are properly maintained - so initial cost becomes irrelevant after a while.

Thanks V12, Oscar seeming like a far better option right now.

I mainly drink espresso and flat white/cappuccinos so do need steaming ability.

The Oscar is a great machine - but I just can't get into the aesthetics of it... the Musica is a much better looking machine.

I much prefer this - http://www.isomac.it/model.asp?id=1 aesthetically, but functionally there is nothing in it - even over one of these http://www.lamarzocco.com/index.php?lang=en&Itemid=484

Give Allesandro a call - or better yet - go and visit him - he often has trade in machines and he has been stocking Kees van der Westen machines lately too..

http://tazzadoro.co.za/pages/contact.php

You know I can't afford a Mirage or a Slayer :)

No - but you can go to Fathers coffee in Braamfontein and try a coffee from their new Mirage... they just opened less than a month ago - and while you are at it you can visit Hunter cycling - they are within about 100m of each other - and you can get fresh coffee there too - roaster is on site - speak to Nic.

http://fathercoffee.co.za/

http://www.huntercycling.com/

Shot I've had a few cups from the Mirage at Lucky Bread Co. in Brooklyn Mall. Good pour over too, Sweet Yellow or such, can't remember the exact name of the coffee I chose.