Coffee machine

• Replies 7.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Amazon is also much cheaper, but they won't ship to SA. Maybe you got someone travelling that can bring them back??

That is not a bad crema for a manual device...

If you use the aeropress inverted, you manage to get the oils and the crema into the cup. If you use it the "right" way around, the oils stay on the wrong side of the puck and filter.

That is not a bad crema for a manual device...

That is not the crema. That is the water and coffee mixture which still has to be pressed through a paper filter.

An Aeropress does not create crema, nor does it make espresso. It does make a delicious coffee, which if diluted with hot water will kick the a$$ of many Americanos served in certain "coffee" shops(more like toasted sarmie shops if you ask me).

Aeropress coffee has a bold flavour without any bitternes. You just need to get the grind setting on your grinder right and off you go!!

I find the Aeropress needs a slightly courser grind that espresso. Not as course as plunger. Pressure not a big deal but water temp is critical. Making it upside down saves mess and seems to improve the flovour a little. Sometimes a pinch of salt if the water is hard also adds that little extra. It beats 99% of what is served at coffee shops. Actually some of the finest cups I have ever tasted come from this little device.

Harrar through an Aeropress is a religious experience.

I am not sure yet what it is, but the Nespresso pods have a crappy aftertaste for me, almost like NesCafe instant coffee

That can't be good... I must admit to never having tried Nespresso. More of a manual coffee person. Nespresso never appealed to me based on cost per cup.

I find the Aeropress needs a slightly courser grind that espresso. Not as course as plunger. Pressure not a big deal but water temp is critical. Making it upside down saves mess and seems to improve the flovour a little. Sometimes a pinch of salt if the water is hard also adds that little extra. It beats 99% of what is served at coffee shops. Actually some of the finest cups I have ever tasted come from this little device.

Harrar through an Aeropress is a religious experience.

Definitely coarser than espresso. Espresso grind is very fine, which gives gives the coffee a larger effective contact surface area with the water. The way I understand it, his means that if it is in contact with the water for longer than 30s it over extracts. The Aeropress process takes longer than 30s which means that you will over extract if you use espresso grind.

So the longer the brew method the coarser the grind should be, to prevent over extraction.

That can't be good... I must admit to never having tried Nespresso. More of a manual coffee person. Nespresso never appealed to me based on cost per cup.

Yes it is expensive, and in my opinion(taste) the coffee is average, that's why I am looking for alternative pods, or pods that I can fill with the coffee that I like.

Yes it is expensive, and in my opinion(taste) the coffee is average, that's why I am looking for alternative pods, or pods that I can fill with the coffee that I like.

Help me understand this... Re-useable pods need to be filled with ground coffee. After the coffee has been brewed, you need to empty the pods and wash then in order for them to fall within the realm of re-usability. Why not just buy a domestic espresso machine and be done with it? Seems like the same amount of effort at the end of the day.

Help me understand this... Re-useable pods need to be filled with ground coffee. After the coffee has been brewed, you need to empty the pods and wash then in order for them to fall within the realm of re-usability. Why not just buy a domestic espresso machine and be done with it? Seems like the same amount of effort at the end of the day.

First prize is coffee to my liking in some other pod that works in a Nespresso machine...

First prize is coffee to my liking in some other pod that works in a Nespresso machine...

I take it you already have a Nespresso but don't like the taste of their coffee?

Ne'cap make a disposable empty pod. You fill with your fresh grind, seal, pull and chuck. They work out at about a randela and a half per pod, excluding the shipping from Oz/US of A

I take it you already have a Nespresso but don't like the taste of their coffee?

Yes, we have one. Everyone else is crazy about it though...I am just exploring alternatives. The convenience of it though is amazing...

Yes, we have one. Everyone else is crazy about it though...I am just exploring alternatives. The convenience of it though is amazing...

Ah OK. Makes sense now.

How big are your coffee cups. Often people try to make huge mugs of coffee instead of the recommended sizes and this ruins the coffee.