Coffee machine

There is only machine to consider

Nespresso !!!!!! It's small, works like bomb and has no maintenance what so ever.

You wont be sorry

• Replies 7.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi there,

I have been reading some of the pages, and I really enjoy a good cuppa coffee.

I am not in the position to buy a R10 000 machine, but I really need to start using something other than my old plunger. I have been looking on Yuppiechef, and had a look at some of the devices.

I am not to clued up on these, but have had a look at the aeropress, as well as the Bialetti stove top mokacrem and moka express. If I decide to buy a small grinder (like the Burr), which options are best for use at home for me and the missus? And, if you buy one of these, what other attachments or special filters etc. are needed.

Looking forward to some suggestions and feedback

ta

I agree Aeropress is better here, otherwise french press and in my opinion lastly Moka pots.

Do buy a grinder for it, there are hand models that grind consistently for the Aeropress and don't take too long.

Check out moreflavour.co.za

I've got an entry level machine and grinder for sale if espresso is more your thing though.

I reckon go for the Aeropress.

It is easier to find a kettle than a stove if you travel.

Maybe a hand grinder. Porlex mini. it fits in the Aeropress when you travel. (I still want one for when I travel)

Otherwise a burr grinder, but don't buy a R3k grinder just for your Aeropress...

Hope it helps.

The Aeropress is a lot easier to deal with, but the stovetop bialetti works very well too if you can find a stove - and the taste is fairly different from the Aeropress I think - so well worth having both if you can afford it - especially if you want to make coffee for guests - the BIG Bialetti has some uses in that regard if you travel with friends, and I can see that an Aeropress might drive you nuts trying to make 6 or 8 coffees.

The zassenhaus hand grinder is a good grinder, and not too expensive (R750 odd)

Of course the better the grinder, the better the result in the cup.

You of course won't be able to front milk with either the Aeropress or the Bialetti - but you can look at a stand alone frother like the Nespresso one - I am not a fan of them taste wise - but I also can't say it tastes bad - just not as sweet/good as properly frothed milk done the traditional way.

So

There is only machine to consider

Nespresso !!!!!! It's small, works like bomb and has no maintenance what so ever.

You wont be sorry

What is this Nespresso you speak of?

Cadence - China special from New World. Rather get one that can take AA/AAA batteries, the watch ones are stupid to replace, the coffee sites stock such a white timer. or use an app on your phone.

Oscar comes with a plastic tamper, OK but not ideal.

I bought a basic Brew Tool for R400 from onlinecoffeshop. Stainless/Alu combo. It's nice and hefty over 500g, they have cheaper Alu ones but not worth the money IMO. You need a 58mm base.

I also want to know where in Jhb is a place to pick up a good tamper at a decent price.

Not a Reg Barber yet...

I also want to know where in Jhb is a place to pick up a good tamper at a decent price.

Not a Reg Barber yet...

Koldserve in Strydom park - and when you go there, visit steelking too for jugs - they are a couple of streets away.

Cadence - China special from New World. Rather get one that can take AA/AAA batteries, the watch ones are stupid to replace, the coffee sites stock such a white timer. or use an app on your phone.

Oscar comes with a plastic tamper, OK but not ideal.

I bought a basic Brew Tool for R400 from onlinecoffeshop. Stainless/Alu combo. It's nice and hefty over 500g, they have cheaper Alu ones but not worth the money IMO. You need a 58mm base.

thanks, saw them at online coffee, just wasn't sure as to their quality etc. So, besides the machine and grinder, I would need the following? Tamper, Tamper mat? Knock box, am I missing anything?

thanks, saw them at online coffee, just wasn't sure as to their quality etc. So, besides the machine and grinder, I would need the following? Tamper, Tamper mat? Knock box, am I missing anything?

Detergent and blind filter, grouphead brush. some microfiber cloths, jugs, cups, small counter brush, gram scale - should be enough to start

cool, thanks, I have most of the above, but a blind filter? excuse the ignorance, but what is that ? Also a grouphead brush?

a blind filter is a portafilter with no holes at the bottom. so when the water comes though, it forces it back in to the machine to "backwash" it. I don't have one, I'm convinced it will break my cheap machine.

Grouphead brush would be a brush to clean your grouphead with. I'm not sure if it should be a metal or plastic brush. don't have one myself...