Coffee machine

cool, thanks, I have most of the above, but a blind filter? excuse the ignorance, but what is that ? Also a grouphead brush?

It's a filter basket with no holes - might come with the machine - you use if for backflushing the machine as part of the cleaning routine - sometimes you get a rubber bathplug thing to put in the portafilter to block the holes (note - you only need this if your machine is capable of being backflushed and has a 3 way valve.

Grouphead brush is a brush to clean out the portafilter seal - you can use any brush you can get in there - the stiffer the better, but be careful using plastic brushes - they might melt - this is the best one to buy

http://www.cafelat.com/cleaning-products.html

• Replies 7.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Go check on online coffee shop they are all there under accesories.

Pallo make a nice group brush. Or just get toothbrush or similar sure that will work for the time being.

Brew Tool is nice, comes in a pouch too. Doesn't fit the basket perfectly on the Oscar but I guess for that money QC on the size is not so good. So you miss the sides as it is smaller than the basket. But I just scoop out the sides with the tamper to sort it out or you can tamp around the edges.

Tamper, Tamper mat (I like the once with an edge that fits the side of the counter so it stays put in front of the machine) Knock box ( I like the Grindenstein on Yuppiechef), Detergent and blind filter (via online coffee shop), grouphead brush (pallo). some microfiber cloths(Makro bulk pack), jugs (makro has steelking, get the small one it's perfect for one or 2 capps), cups (Cafe culture from Maxwell williams), small counter brush (crazy stores has a scoop and brush combo), gram scale (Salter at Boardmens). Remember a timer. also those white and blue mesh cloths work well for the milk wand. Grinder brush and cleaner. Milk thermometer. Lots of milk and beans. Shot glasses with measurment lines so you can check your pulls (online coffee shop)

Thanks, I will probably get the Oscar like yours, so it doesn't come with the blind filter then? Does the machine need to be back flushed? What's the pallo site?

Thanks, I will probably get the Oscar like yours, so it doesn't come with the blind filter then? Does the machine need to be back flushed? What's the pallo site?

Yes needs a flush as it has a 3 way valve. Mine did not come with a blind basket.

Descaling there doesn't seem to be an easy way as there is now water spout, or what V12?

okay, so since you've had the machine, how much cleaning have you done and what have you used to clean it? I know it's based on usage, just want to be sure that i have everything that I need.

Yes needs a flush as it has a 3 way valve. Mine did not come with a blind basket.

Descaling there doesn't seem to be an easy way as there is now water spout, or what V12?

You probably only need to descale every 6 months or so - there must be a way to do it on the Oscar - even if you put descaling fluid in the tank - I am sure this will work

I agree Aeropress is better here, otherwise french press and in my opinion lastly Moka pots.

Do buy a grinder for it, there are hand models that grind consistently for the Aeropress and don't take too long.

Check out moreflavour.co.za

I've got an entry level machine and grinder for sale if espresso is more your thing though.

thanks for the feedback. Will only be used at home, for a good 2 cups to start the day for us, and then it would be nice to be able to make 4 or 6 good cups if we have some friends over. during the day at work a plunger will be good enough.

So the use of a bialetti would not be a problem for a stove top at home. is the aeropress only 1 cup at a time?

or am I completely of track and have a look at an entry level type machine like weight weenie is selling? would really like grinding my own beans, rather than buying the already ground filter coffee packs.

cheers.

I will have my Aeropress tomorrow. Ended up just buying it here. The shipping worked out to a few rand cheaper.

i cant wait, now i just need a burr grinder....