Singletrack-up or down.

The Search

...depend who is outa control...

I'll will get outa his way.. lol

Any single track where Bi directional traffic occur, downhill rider should take caution (not the balls to the wall approach)

Single track is there for all to use. Common decency what it boils down to?

A person swearing in general doesn’t respect himself not to mention those around him.

Who died and made him god.

ie.

When stopping at a four way intersection before the next chap who wants to cross your path and that chap just jump the stop sign. Serious lack of respect to law, himself and fellow citizens. (Self centred)

See these things happening daily.

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

...depend who is outa control...

I'll will get outa his way.. lol

Any single track where Bi directional traffic occur, downhill rider should take caution (not the balls to the wall approach)

Single track is there for all to use. Common decency what it boils down to?

A person swearing in general doesn’t respect himself not to mention those around him.

Who died and made him god.

ie.

When stopping at a four way intersection before the next chap who wants to cross your path and that chap just jump the stop sign. Serious lack of respect to law, himself and fellow citizens. (Self centred)

See these things happening daily.

Yeah Andro everyone i know go down singletrack as slowly as they possibly can ........ Yeah right dude thats what ST is made for its made to go balls to the wall.

Agreed logic should be applied but generally the chap going down already did all the effort of going up, for the privellege to come down at speed. Hence the guys going up should get out of the way.

Confusion however sets in in cases like canaries in jonkershoek. Before half the mountain burned down, Canaries was designed to be ridden up, and the ST at the other end of the mountain was meant for down. Now that its basically just Canaries thats left in Jonkers, you have riders going up and riders going down it, and this causes some debate, since its original purpose was up, but now out of circumstance its up and down.

preferential for people going up to yield for people going down - and in most cases those going up are going at slow enough pace (in comparison) that they can go off track without slowing down or unclipping.

that said, if I have encountered opposite direction traffic ten times in a year it is a lot

The reason why I started this topic was because of youre group of 10 plus that cycled in Jonkers yesterday. There was only one guy that sweared at me and did not give way. I was the 2nd guy coming down middle Canary Path. The rest was friendly,gave way and was spread out quite a bit going up the singletrack. I worked hard to get to the top to fly down the singletrack. I stop for guys going down and even guys that want to past me going down and I'm not that slow. Maybe I must stick to Welvanpas where if you go counter-clockwise,you climb of if somebody come down the singletrack.

Canary always seems to be an issue. Originally it was mostly an uphill track as the majority of people rode down never ending. Now unfortunately its the only track going up and down the mountain (the newest downhill track is no more). The gradient isn't very steep so its easy for both people going up and down to stop most of the time. I try get out the way as much as possible, but not always that easy when going up the rockier switchbacks.

Jonkers was rather busy on Friday, I wouldn't remember the "2nd guy" as we came across a few groups and / or individuals coming down. There were quite a few others going up at the same time as well. Definitely a spot to ride on a quiter day.

Till someone does the effort to put a sign up on Canaries saying "yield to riders going up" or "yield to riders comming down" there will always be confusion on canaries, as the current signage still only displays up instead of down.

Yeah Andro everyone i know go down singletrack as slowly as they possibly can ........ Yeah right dude thats what ST is made for its made to go balls to the wall.

Agreed logic should be applied but generally the chap going down already did all the effort of going up, for the privellege to come down at speed. Hence the guys going up should get out of the way.

Confusion however sets in in cases like canaries in jonkershoek. Before half the mountain burned down, Canaries was designed to be ridden up, and the ST at the other end of the mountain was meant for down. Now that its basically just Canaries thats left in Jonkers, you have riders going up and riders going down it, and this causes some debate, since its original purpose was up, but now out of circumstance its up and down.

I also enjoy a DH run, but keeping in mind that this is "now" a route where traffic is Bi Directional and been used by beginners (enthusiasts) Your so called weekend warriors/wanna be and "pro's"

Common senses tell me every one should take caution. People (kids, yours, and mine) can get hurt.

I've ridden many rides and ya, it’s a pain if you can’t pass if you faster stronger the chap in front of you.

I am only trying to contribute to this threat; we are here to joy this sport. It’s a sport where the entire family can participate; I would hate to see you or me coming down killing a person or kid.

Once again I can only think and if I may say, a ST like this should be approached, being up or down with caution.

Respect the situation, respect each other, and enjoy the ride.

Edited by Andro

The reason why I started this topic was because of youre group of 10 plus that cycled in Jonkers yesterday. There was only one guy that sweared at me and did not give way. I was the 2nd guy coming down middle Canary Path. The rest was friendly,gave way and was spread out quite a bit going up the singletrack. I worked hard to get to the top to fly down the singletrack. I stop for guys going down and even guys that want to past me going down and I'm not that slow. Maybe I must stick to Welvanpas where if you go counter-clockwise,you climb of if somebody come down the singletrack.

I was in that group and I believe that one of the two of you was acting like a real chop when confronting one of the riders in the lead of the group and of those further back.

I also believe that you or the other rider with you went straight for one of our riders with the intent of forcing this rider off the trail.

To be honest you were not really flying down the ST as we ( the lead group) were going up at about the same pace you were descending at ... just saying and stirring here.

So were you the guy in the blue or red cycling jersey?

Please advise if I am missing further details.

I also enjoy a DH run, but keeping in mind that this is "now" a route where traffic is Bi Directional and been used by beginners (enthusiasts) Your so called weekend warriors/wanna be and "pro's"

Common senses tell me every one should take caution. People (kids, yours, and mine) can get hurt.

I've ridden many rides and ya, it’s a pain if you can’t pass if you faster stronger the chat in front of you.

I am only trying to contribute to this threat; we are here to joy this sport. It’s a sport where the entire family can participate; I would hate to see you or me coming down killing a person or kid.

Once again I can only think and if I may say, a ST like this should be approached, being up or down with caution.

Respect the situation, respect each other, and enjoy the ride.

Andro what we are saying here is that the guys going up, do so at a max of 10kmh, with little or no ambient noise around them and a clear field of vision, the guys going down at 30kmh, looking 5m in front of them and that are pretty much defeaned by the bike noises should by default have right of way. Its a simple equation for saftey. Regardless of the situation, not nitpicking you at all, but its human nature to think i am more important than the rest and that causes sitations like experianced by the OP. It should not be situational at all ,and should not be based on common sense since 90% of the populas have no common sense at all.

It should be a general rule that people going down ST ALWAYS have right of way, and this should be published before trail entry and on the permits, it should be drilled into people so it becomes public knowledge. Its not just in the interest of fun (yes we all hate to break our speed) but its simply in the interest of saftey. The guy going up is going to hear you 500m before you get to him. The going down will see you 5m before he ploughs into you.

Till someone does the effort to put a sign up on Canaries saying "yield to riders going up" or "yield to riders comming down" there will always be confusion on canaries, as the current signage still only displays up instead of down.

What the confusion??

Rider going up, rider’s coming down in the same path

Approach with caution or sh@t will happen.

And yes, I read the rules of Trail ride intern. And Yeah... I do agree with them but dit the other riders read it too? Will the honour those rules?

I'm not gona injure myself and others because "I was right and you were wrong", "didn't you read the rules" and so on. And so on.

Once you been in an accident, it’s too late. You will be stuffed, your bike shot.

This is my approach and tomorrow I will ride, the day after and day after that. Because I respect that little piece of single track where everyone paid to ride.

What the confusion??

Rider going up, rider’s coming down in the same path

Approach with caution or sh@t will happen.

And yes, I read the rules of Trail ride intern. And Yeah... I do agree with them but dit the other riders read it too? Will the honour those rules?

I'm not gona injure myself and others because "I was right and you were wrong", "didn't you read the rules" and so on. And so on.

Once you been in an accident, it’s too late. You will be stuffed, your bike shot.

This is my approach and tomorrow I will ride, the day after and day after that. Because I respect that little piece of single track where everyone paid to ride.

You seem to missing the point so ill just stop after this post., yes there has to be respect thats like stating you have to breath to live, fact is as long as there are not a clearly accepted set of rules, you will have situations like this, and its up to all trail centers, PPA CSA to actually go and officially define what it is and make sure people are aware of the rules, you have a much bigger chance of getting hurt with the current state of affairs than you do if people are aware who has to give right of way, sure its not perfect you still get accidents at 4 way stops with your car, but much fewer accidents since people know the rules of the road. Same simple equation applies to biking.

As it is now its a question of A does the guy at speed see you in time, B who is going to be the gentleman and give way... Thats like playing russian roullette on a bike atm. And then one self important guy will invariable scream shout and swear at someone else, becuase there is confusion he/she thinks she is the most important person on the trail.

If you go to a UK bike park, they Tell you who has right of way when you buy your permit, There are clearly marked signs who has right of way when you hit the trail. And they have none of our ****.

Edited by covie

BUT you are in Africa.

Whatchout for the Lions....

All fine, I understand where you coming from and I agree with you.

The road is long and changes happen.. Slowly, but they do, but until all riders are on paar and clearly marked signs are on trails, and under stood by all riders. Ride with caution.

See on the next DH...

'Easiest to get going again' - too subjective and difficult to predict. The person with broken legs will find it hardest to get going again. But how can you predict this when travelling round a blind corner at 40km/h ?

29er definitely has right of way - in both directions... :devil:

Sounds about right... This is SA after all. The biggest vehicle has right of way and this is often the rationale for buying it in the first place. The more useless you are at steering the thing the bigger your vehicle must be to ensure you completely flatten any other vehicles you happen to steer into and are unharmed in the process. I've lost count of the number of people who have merrily explained to me that this is why they have an otherwise pointlessly immense car.

snapback.pngNimby, on 29 April 2012 - 05:06 , said:

Yo Nimby, funny you should say that as a Spesh rider at the start of the DH to the trail in question as raised by the OP said a similar thing before.

snapback.pngNimby, on 29 April 2012 - 05:06 , said:

Yo Nimby, funny you should say that as a Spesh rider at the start of the DH to the trail in question as raised by the OP said a similar thing before.

Spesh riders just miffed as they always thought they had right of way... unless you took out that third mortage to get a spesh 29er that is.

its easy ,

in the 4x4 world its ALWAYS give way to the person coming up !

i do the same in mtb , if you going up its harder to get going again .

so i give way to those coming up .