2012 Honda mtb trophy

ShawnMano

Hell I thought for R450 great 2 days riding. Tough day 1, and day 2 a bit of a battle with my team-mate breaking her RD cable, but all in all really good. It's not a Sani event yet, but with where the price of Sani is going, could very easily become an alternative. Just add a quick prologue on the Friday to sort the seeding out, try and get a bit more community spirit going at the Watertables, and possibly consider making it a 2-man event. We'll definitly be back next year, and will take it more seriously, just please keep the prizegiving shorter - we eventually left after 1.5hrs of fines and they still hadn't got to the actual placings yet....

Oh and agree fully about the comment earlier about 29ers. Nothing against them, but they really do make up huge distances on flat dirt roads!! Why wouldn't you want one....

.. we eventually left after 1.5hrs of fines and they still hadn't got to the actual placings yet....

This practice of 'fines' is not everyone's cup of tea, even offensive to some (esp. Muslim cyclists and families attending). I am not a teetotaler but I am so over knocking back spirits or any booze xcesses, and find those rituals extremely tedious.

The culture of alcohol abuse is rampant in our society/country and causes much damage. Why do we have to celebrate it in an otherwise healthy living cycling lifestyle?

<End of rant> that should include a boycott of any sponsorship of alcohol products / companies

Just add a quick prologue on the Friday to sort the seeding out

+1 !!!

consider making it a 2-man event

I didn't stay long because I didn't really know anyone. Would probably have stayed longer if I had a team mate there. Having said that, not having to ride with a partner was an easier ride for me. I didn't have to keep someone waiting nor had to wait for someone anywhere. But then this argument can go both ways. At all partner events people are asking for solo entries and at solo events people are asking for partner-entries. Maybe have different classes where the participant has the option of either.

My two cents:

Don't wait for the 'prize giving' to get the vibe going. The 'fines' could have started waaaay earlier (and I agree it doesn't HAVE to have to be alcohol based). For me the prize giving was too late - I wanted to stay and win that Trek bike, but family duties called.

Agreed - the team thing goes both ways, but one thing Sani does have is an awsome vibe during the ride, and my partner and I reasoned it's probably because there are always 2 mates riding together - we passed lot's of single riders struggling along looking quite lonely! So - as you say, allow the option of entering as a team.

"Also 100% on the "fines" suggestion - that didn't really bug me, but they could have started the banter while we were all eating - say at 11:00 and then got the official prizegiving kicked off on time.

Thing is though, I really feel this event has huge potential - I didn't have 10x more fun at Sani (R450 vs. R4500), I kakked off more on Saturday than I did on Sani day 2, we got meals, a decent goodie bag (just had the mini cheddars for tea!) and I got to do some maintenance on my bike in my garage on Sat evening. Sani will always be around, and KZN will have its own unique type of riding, but this could just become the Gauteng version. Hope the Organizers have acces to the hub!

I thought the race was fairly taxing, but not too tough.

Day 1 - too much tar riding, is this just to add distance and make the race seem more of a marathon? Portage points were annoying, and caused delays. would have been aweful at the back of the field I imagine. Rocky single track needed concentration, typical of magaliesberg/maropeng riding - loose, sharp. some good technical climbs.

Day 2 - repeated much of day 1 but in the opposite direction, ho hum. rocky single track needed patience and care, saw several punctures. farm roads were gobbled up by the 29er.

Route marking was not great. white arrows etc, should be replaced by the day glow orange stickers. Day 1 saw many riders taking wrong turns, or missing changes in the route, only to have to turn back.

Braai on sunday was much better than saturday. Saturday braai had no salad and pap sauce at the beginning, sunday they ran out of rolls, so food management could definitely improve. No glasses and ice at the bar either to enjoy your soft drinks with. Prize giving too late too.

Its a good 2 day training event. Comments on day 1 that it is on par with Sani2C, is quite a stretch. The KZN guys go to great lengths to 'build' a route, not just make use of existing footpaths etc.

Will I be back, most likely.

I think for R450 you could do much worse than this event.

Day 1 was a good test and a combination of lots of different surfaces. As it wasnt seeded, I really enjoyed the first few km's of tar to get the field a bit spread out before heading off road.

Day 2 was very fast and parts of day 1 in reverse. I am sure they could find some different track to the east of Maropeng. I think a 20km night ride on Friday to seed the event is a great idea.

I hated the prizegiving. An hour of crappy fines was just too much and the organisers must of had half a bottle of tequila by themselves - not a great for a healthy lifestyle event? As for the lucky draw what a joke. When you are giving away over R40,000 worth of bikes the very least you can do is do it fairly with everyone having a statistically fair shot at winning. The food was also way over priced! R100 for a wors / chicken roll and salad? I took the family down to Maropeng take aways which was 200m away and we had nice burgers and chips for R38.

But overall a worthwhile 2 days of riding - thats the main reason we go to these events.

As for the lucky draw what a joke. When you are giving away over R40,000 worth of bikes the very least you can do is do it fairly with everyone having a statistically fair shot at winning.

Why do you say that?

Both days I grabbed the food and left.

Hi

My GPS failed during day 2 so I only recorded the first 15km. I like to keep all the profiles. If someone out there has it in some sort off Garmin acceptable format, pls IM me.

Thanks