Killer deal on Carbon 29er with free ZTR wheelset

Iwan Kemp

What's wrong with that? ... How many companies worldwide produce their products locally?

Not many, but as a locally based brand they source product etc from the East like almost everyone else and employ local staff to do it, support local events and athletes.

The key point is in this case it's value for money.

Not sure why people feel the need to be bitchy about it generally, overall works out a win win.

No much "wrong" with that other than it forms a very large component of their brand image and marketing.

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Yeah, that's actually an interesting point Bos. Have you noticed how The Crow has been championing Momsen for a while now? What was the brand he used to push before that, can't remember now?

IBIS

EDIT: Price R26500.00

http://www.momsenbikes.com/images/bikes/SL729_single_bike_zoom_web.jpg

Edited by Hairy

I find it hard to believe that some people on this forum still believe that the frame they are riding wasn't made in the east.

but but but.. I ride a morewood..

although some tubes are made in the east at least its put together here.

I hear "China" being thrown around here..(not you black voodoo) I know in the old days Taiwan and china was considered one country.. but there is a big difference. I have had to scource bikes for a low key singlespeed startup here in cape town.. Ive been to china 3 times and do business with them all the time.

Taiwan is lightyears ahead when It comes to bicycles..

I also hear job creation getting flung around, So the parts come in and it takes two guys I'm guessing 10-15min to assemble each bike. Hell it took me 20 mins and I don't even have the right tools. A far cry from "job creation"

but but but.. I ride a morewood..

although some tubes are made in the east at least its put together here.

I hear "China" being thrown around here..(not you black voodoo) I know in the old days Taiwan and china was considered one country.. but there is a big difference. I have had to scource bikes for a low key singlespeed startup here in cape town.. Ive been to china 3 times and do business with them all the time.

Taiwan is lightyears ahead when It comes to bicycles..

Boss what yo say is true to an extent, but its the point behind the fact thats relevant here, The east will make products according to rigid standards and tests for brand named companies using extensive R&D and top quality materials as prescribed by the brand name firm. They then have the nack to use the same technology they have to punch out low cost items that looks similar in almost every way, using the cheapest materials they can find without the stringent testing to make more money and get a bigger return on their initial capital outlay for the manufacturing equipement. i.e one bike will have the name specialized on it and will be made from the best materials go through a barrage of tests and quality control. The same manufacturer will slightly change the geometry knock out a no name brand using the cheapest carbon they can get their hands on and produce millions of the frames without the same Quality control and checks.

You decide what you want to buy its as simple as that.

Boss what yo say is true to an extent, but its the point behind the fact thats relevant here, The east will make products according to rigid standards and tests for brand named companies using extensive R&D and top quality materials as prescribed by the brand name firm. They then have the nack to use the same technology they have to punch out low cost items that looks similar in almost every way, using the cheapest materials they can find without the stringent testing to make more money and get a bigger return on their initial capital outlay for the manufacturing equipement. i.e one bike will have the name specialized on it and will be made from the best materials go through a barrage of tests and quality control. The same manufacturer will slightly change the geometry knock out a no name brand using the cheapest carbon they can get their hands on and produce millions of the frames without the same Quality control and checks.

You decide what you want to buy its as simple as that.

I'm in the manufacturing industry , We won't go find the 'cheapest' raw material because we are buying in bulk and getting the best price anyway.

Why would any company who make frames for Spez try finding "lower" grade carbon fibre ( if it even exists) and ignore their own quality control to make "cheaper" frames.

My point is they make frames for eg. spez when the orders are low they still produce at 100% production but then sell the 'overruns ' off as 'chinese cheapys'

they still need to keep a big work force employed.

Sounds more logical than . "we make cheaper bikes when we feel like it"

That's like having a friend over offering him a beer when your fridge is full of Windhoek but running down to the bottlestore to buy him 1 black label because it's cheaper....... I'm done with this Debate it's stupid.

I'm in the manufacturing industry , We won't go find the 'cheapest' raw material because we are buying in bulk and getting the best price anyway.

Why would any company who make frames for Spez try finding "lower" grade carbon fibre ( if it even exists) and ignore their own quality control to make "cheaper" frames.

My point is they make frames for eg. spez when the orders are low they still produce at 100% production but then sell the 'overruns ' off as 'chinese cheapys'

they still need to keep a big work force employed.

Sounds more logical than . "we make cheaper bikes when we feel like it"

sorry voodoo ive seen this happen first hand, And they are not allowed to sell any overrun's as it will be an infringement to the brand name contract, they have to alter the frame before they can produce the cheapies. Companies like spez spend millions on design, you really think they will allow a Asian co to just mind the pun "carbon copy" their work and redistrubute it.

In any event thats irrelevant like i said i have seen this happen and whats even worse is when they sell their old manufacturing lines to other companies and you should see the crap that gets knocked off the assembly line then.

Ok Covie let's just agree to disagree.

Lets :) All i am saying is chance it if you think its worth it. Personal opinion ill still rather pay over inflated prices, even if only for decent backup service and support.

That's like having a friend over offering him a beer when your fridge is full of Windhoek but running down to the bottlestore to buy him 1 black label because it's cheaper....... I'm done with this Debate it's stupid.

Ish ... those beers are poor quality compared to a Heineken :whistling:

Ish ... those beers are poor quality compared to a Heineken :whistling:

Depends on the friend if its a good friend ill rip out the 21 year old scotch if your an aquantance be damned sure you get the cheap stuff :drool:

Yes but is it the same quality hops?

Funny thing

Give two chefs the same ingredients and equipment and ask them to prepare the same meal in their own way... no chance they will taste the same