MTB Tires - Which Brand?

Iwan Kemp

MTB Tires  

318 members have voted

1. 1. What brand of MTB tires do you buy?

• Bontrager
    • Continental
    • Geax
    • Hutchinson
    • Intense
    • Kenda
    • Maxxis
    • Michelin
    • Nokian
    • Onza
    • Panaracer
    • Pacenti
    • Schwalbe
    • Specialized
    • Tioga
    • Vredestein
    • WTB
    • RITCHEY

I had MAXXIS on my first bike... Got a new bike and didn't trade the schwalbes in that it came with while they were still new and I've regretted that decision ever since... Schwalbe given me nothing but trouble and I'm back with MAXXIS and happy as...

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

currently have GEAX Suguaro tnt on the rear,and Vredenstein Black Panther extreme on the front.

Dont like the geax over wet rocks...seems to be more slippy thant other tyres i have had. My opionion is that is has to to with the tread pattern.

The Vredenstein is pretty good for a front - but tyre pressure very important - too hard, and it's all over the place.

Fav tyre thus far was the Kenda Karma, unfortunately it died a premature puncture death (5 in 3 days)

If funds was no factor it would definately be the Conti Mountainking front/raceking rear combo.

<Edit> Spelling and puntuation - scared of the Nazi's on a friday

Edited by RocknRolla

• 2 months later...

had the Schwalbe Racing Ralf Evo3 UST as standard on my bike, didnt last 3months. shopped around and was looking at the maxxis or conti's. decided to get the conti X-King 2.2 UST in the end, much light than the maxxis and just as tough.

Fave so far is Maxxi.

doesnt mean much boet, 95% of the jhb crowd will run maxxis, the coastal chaps generaly prefer something with grip, also depends on discipline, not that i have anything against maxxis, running a ikon rear, but dont go buy stuff according to polls go buy stuff according to your inteded use.

• 1 month later...

Kenda Nevegals they heavy but in 4 years of hectic MTb riding i have NEVER got a puncture . Until i do i will keep fitting them.

I OLSO RIDE ON THEM, THE OUTER NOBLES ARE WIDER THAN SIDEWALL AND PREVENT SIDEWALL TEARS. ALSO VERRY FORGIVING TYRE IF YOU TURN TO FAST THOSE RISED NOBLES ON THE SIDE DIGS IN. LOVE THESE TYRESthumbup1.gif thumbup1.gif clap.gif thumbup1.gif clap.gif thumbup1.gif clap.gif

doesnt mean much boet, 95% of the jhb crowd will run maxxis, the coastal chaps generaly prefer something with grip, also depends on discipline, not that i have anything against maxxis, running a ikon rear, but dont go buy stuff according to polls go buy stuff according to your inteded use.

This is one thing that people neglect to mention when a)asking for and b)giving, advice.

I'm still running on hardpack tyres (Kenda Smallblock 8s) but am looking for general use tyres, useful in both wet/dry and of course puncture resistance (lots of small thorns here, and some rocks).

It's come down to two basic options for me... maybe someone has a better option for the "Gauteng North" choice.

My first choice is Mountain King 2.2 front and X-King rear

or second choice, being heavier and apparently less mud-friendly, Crossmarks LUST front and rear....

my budget is also around R1200 for the set. Stans is a given.

Mountain King 2.2 UST up front and Race King UST 2.2 at the back. They have done about 500 Km's so far without any flats.

I'm assuming 26"? I only see the Protection in 29"... well according to their website, at least.

heavier and apparently less mud-friendly, Crossmarks LUST front and rear....

On the condition that you have good reflex's can you put a Crossmark on the front... My bike came standard with them and after a few near incidents I changed the front to a Schwable Rocket Ron but still kept the rear.

PS, still testing what tires work best for me.

On the condition that you have good reflex's can you put a Crossmark on the front... My bike came standard with them and after a few near incidents I changed the front to a Schwable Rocket Ron but still kept the rear.

PS, still testing what tires work best for me.

Still a relative newbie to the mtb scene. Only reflexes I know of is dodging glass, rocks and potholes ;)

I'm assuming 26"? I only see the Protection in 29"... well according to their website, at least.

Yup 26", got them from Easybike, before that I had tyres made by the bicycle manufacturer and almost killed myself on them thumbdown.gif

• 2 years later...

Maxxis Crossmarks front and rear... Came standard with the bike. 

1763km done so far on them and not 1 flat or any other problem.

Putting on Maxxis Ikon at the back and Maxxis Ardent at the front when replacing.

Maxxis for me anyday!!!  :thumbup:  :thumbup:  :thumbup:

Does bikehub give out prizes for thread revival?

Bwahahaha....today the prize will be a set of tires...hahaha