MTB Manual

videmiro

Dear Hubbers,

I have been trying for at least 2 months to do a manual on my MTB. I can pick up the front wheel about 5 cm and then the wheel falls back down. I have also searched the internet extensively and found the technique, which I have followed step by step. Preload, push body backwards to the back axle, arms straight, and still nothing.

I am getting frustrated and I need some pointers. Maybe something that you may have done differently to learn the "elusive" manual.

Pleeeeeeeeease share.

I've got a manual...It's called the Park Blue Book of Bike Maintenance...perhaps that will help?

Google it... :whistling:

Dear Cassie,

I am looking to perform a manual, or coasting wheelie, where you lift the front wheel off the ground and roll with your back wheel through obstacles.

Thanks for the reply though.

Dear Hubbers,

I have been trying for at least 2 months to do a manual on my MTB. I can pick up the front wheel about 5 cm and then the wheel falls back down. I have also searched the internet extensively and found the technique, which I have followed step by step. Preload, push body backwards to the back axle, arms straight, and still nothing.

I am getting frustrated and I need some pointers. Maybe something that you may have done differently to learn the "elusive" manual.

Pleeeeeeeeease share.

Eldron's guide to manualling...

Pull out and back with hands (kinda like opening a motorbike throttle with both hands) whilst pushing forward with feet (feet in level position). That shoulds give you a good manual.

Eldron's disclaimer...

Manualling on cheapie/heavy bikes is hard work! On my race snake 10kg Niner I can put a manual at will. On my steel Niner I really have to give it wellie to get the wheel up...

The secret seems to be in the co-ordination of hand pull and feet kick - if you get them just right it pops up nicely. Slightly wrong and you need much more effort...

Good luck!

Thank you Eldron,

Will definitely give this a bash (I mean try)

Keep a finger on your rear brake - a bruised coccyx is a really unpleasant thing!

+1 on Eldron's post...

Remember to keep your knees bent! A lot of the control of a manual comes from manipulating the legs, and a lot of the power comes from pushing up with your legs and forward with your feet. You'll find it damn near impossible to manual with locked out legs... And just carry on doing it!

You have to really lean back

If its coming up a coupla inches and falling back your weight is too far forward

Put on flat pedals then you can jump off the back while still holding the bars

need to find the balance to keep it up, if you arent getting the front wheel up high enough you will go back down quickly

Like on you avatar? Sorry - i can't even do a proper wheelie....but i can bunny hop!

youtube?

Keep a finger on your rear brake - a bruised coccyx is a really unpleasant thing!

Watching someone bruising their coccyx is a really pleasant thing....

as with what Eldron said - your bike may either be on the big, or on the heavy side.

but practice practice, you have the right resources (in terms of information on the technique)

as with what Eldron said - your bike may either be on the big, or on the heavy side.

but practice practice, you have the right resources (in terms of information on the technique)

Hey i use to be able to wheelie my old bomber when i was a laaitjie and that bike weighed double and i was nowhere close as strong as i am now, that said i had a lot more balls back then to try stuff like that.

Logic tells me i only have to be able to lift my front wheel a couple of inches to clear obastacles so i havent gotten into doing a proper wheelie/manual as said before broken butt is ouchie.

keep your speed up as well, the faster you go, the less the bike will have a tendency to flop to the sides.

Geez, what the madder wit you guys, tell him to buy the manual instead. Mayhem, you of all people should've suggested THIS

I am assuming videmiro, that is not you "jumping from a roof" avatar?? Would you like to? Then get the book.