Smelly Kit

MTBeer

Anyone have the problem of smelly cycling tops. My tops (mostly First Ascent) come out of the wash and before I put them on they already have that "I haven't showered for 3 days" smell.

Any suggestions?

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Soak them in bicarbonate of soda before washing or even place a spoonful with your soap powder in the washing machine, my clothes smell fine now.

If they're packed away slightly damp, they'll smell like piss.

Yeah, I give my kit some good sunshine before packing it away, especially on the damp autumn days.

Even if it stays out in a warm sunny room for a few days.

Soak them in bicarbonate of soda before washing or even place a spoonful with your soap powder in the washing machine, my clothes smell fine now.

thanks, I'll try that.

Guest Omega Man

My mate reckons soak it in Milton cos it's the bacteria that stinks. Also. If you ride with a hydration pack that might well be the cause of the smelly.

Now I have a lovely wife who did a little homework on this issue as when I commute to work the kit is kept in a locker and never fully dries, so I usually smell like a 3 day dead bergie by the time I get home.

She pours some vinegar into the washing machine and this somehow miraculously removes any traces of odor.

I let mine soak for about a day. That seems to get rid of the dead mineworker smell.

I let mine soak for about a day. That seems to get rid of the dead mineworker smell.

Maybe you haven't smelled a dead mineworker lately? :unsure: Give me a ring, I'll hook you up next time we have a fatal underground...

My camelback hones super bad. It eminates from the straps that go over my shoulders and under the armpits - the primary source of all things stinky! A good wash and a few days in the sun seem to sort it out.

I also keep all my kit in a plastic crate for easy transport and leave that to dry in the sun on a regular basis. Its bad enough with the wife thinking she is married to a bike, so best I keep the kit that goes with it clean and tidy

:wacko:

For me the best way to keep odors away is plenty of sun and fresh air! And always make sure you wash the kit as soon as possible. I also wash my Camelbak every 6 weeks or so.

I do the odd load with Vanish. I heard you shouldn't use softener on cycling kit.

She pours some vinegar into the washing machine and this somehow miraculously removes any traces of odor.

Vinegar also acts as a softener (been using a cupful instead of softener during rinse cycle for years now), and doesn't cause the sludge associated with normal fabric softeners. You should also run a wash cycle once a month with about a liter of vinegar and no clothes, it cleans all the pipes out nicely.

Maybe you haven't smelled a dead mineworker lately? :unsure: Give me a ring, I'll hook you up next time we have a fatal underground...

Are you that Bad Brad dude? :mellow:

Back to topic, what about smelly shoes? Any tips?