An Ibis SL-R is born (The Crow's Mojo V3.0)

Iwan Kemp

The time has come! Got the word that my new frame is a week or two away which send me scurrying to get the last bits and pieces of the build kit together. The friendly guys at Cycle Factory have been stellar at helping me to source some odd stuff ( case in point: http://www.thehubsa....l-hubbers-help/ ) and as always share as much in my enthusiasm for my bike as I.

I have some stuff happening on this bike which will a first for me, 1x10 being one of them, and some stuff that's new for all of us. I'll probably have to sign a disclaimer before we start building for some of my ideas! Eeeek!

The build: (for today!)

Fork:...........RockShox Revelation World Cup 20mm with Tapered Steerer

Shock:........Fox RP23 with Kashima Coating (Stock)

Wheelset...Superstar Components Custom ( Stan's Arch EX, Sapim CX-Ray on SSC Swith and Trizoid Hubs)

Headset.... Cane Creek Angleset -1

Handlebar..Race Face SixC 725mm

Stem...........Sunline V1 65mm

Brakes........Formula R1 180/160mm

Grips...........NS Bikes

Fr Shifter.....NONE

R Shifter......SRAM X0 GripShift

Front Der:...NONE

Rear Der:...SRAM X0

Crank:.........Race Face SixC 1X10 33T

Cassette:...SRAM X0 11-36

Chain:.........SRAM X0

Seatpost:....RockShox Reverb Stealth

Saddle:.......????????????

Tires:...........WTB Bronson AM TCS / Maxxix High Roller LUST / Schwalbe Nobby Nic & Hans Dampf

Pedals:.......NS Bikes Aerial Pro or my current Point1 Podium

Extras:........ Burgtec Offset Shock Hardware, Bionicon c.guide v2.0, MRP 1X Direct Mount

Weight:........Should be sub 12.5kg

* Gonna give the Revelation a go (had it on my HD for a while and it's a great fork), but would like to try the Marzocchi 44 RC3 Coil Ti a go. More confidence in experimenting with one now that Johan Borman is doing Marzocchi.

* Will be my first own bike with a Kashima Fox on it. Let's see how it goes and how long it'll stay on there before it moves over to make space for a Monarch

* Going from a Med to a Large thanks to running shorter a stem / wider bars, but still wanting some space in the TT / Cockpit area

* After many calculations and experiments I have finally settled on a 33T chainring. I'm losing Granny, 2nd and 3rd and a bit at the bottom and only top gear (coming from my current 22/36) up top. Should be okay. Let's see.

* Fitting the stealth will involve some ghetto (and a disclaimer!)

* The NS Bikes kit made the shopping list based on a combo of color, reviews and price

UPDATE: PICS START ON PAGE 7

Edited by The Crow

• Replies 175
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Sounds awesome. Can't wait to see some pics.

BTW, the Whyte 146S with a XX build is 10.6 kgs :P

All sounds good on that list ... now to wait for pics to accompany this thread!

BTW, the Whyte 146S with a XX build is 10.6 kgs :P

Yeah XX + Haven Carbon AM Wheels drop a lot of weight but add a lot of mulah! I'm not after ultimate lightweight in any case. Looking for a good, solid, fast, capable all round bike.

Nooooo! Post pics from start to finish!

Will do!

Yeah XX + Haven Carbon AM Wheels drop a lot of weight but add a lot of mulah! I'm not after ultimate lightweight in any case. Looking for a good, solid, fast, capable all round bike.

Just pulling your socks dude. The Mojo is an awesome bike.

Just pulling your socks dude. The Mojo is an awesome bike.

:thumbup: Whyte is definite dream bike. Long, slack, light and low...what's not to like?

Can you sleep at night?!

Ha ha.....I reckon not without rescue remedy.

Looking forward to some pics.

That'll mean I have the bike in hand so me too! :thumbup:

Maybe we should have a All-Mountain build-off.... with pictures...

Let's do it! You're building a SB-66 right?

Which frame, did I miss that part?

Ibis Mojo SL-R.

Was a long process ( http://www.thehubsa....__fromsearch__1 ), but in the end it was the only one that made sense to me.

1. Of all the high-end carbon frames I considered it's the best value for money

2. Owned a SL so I know the bike and know that I like it

3. Big fan of the DW-Link and it was the only carbon one on my list with it (5.Spot was the only other one)

4. It's a killer looking bike

5. My LBS recently became Ibis dealers so that helped A LOT

6. After years of faffing around with my own bike it's time to settle down and buy a bike that I will ride for quite some time (HD was a record for me at 1 Year 7 months!). Makes sense to me to then go for something I know and trust.

This whole exercise made me realize just how spoiled for choice we are at the moment. There are some really killer bikes out there waiting to be ridden HARD.

Edited by The Crow