Which XT Brakes or XT Shifters

awesme

The adapter is the black spacer that positions the caliper for the correct space from the frame basically wha the caliper connects to, no you can't use the old ones as the disc will be bigger than the space allowed by the adapter, the rotor will hit the edge of the caliper and it wont fit. There is no need to go 203 but it does look the business and feels a lot more "there". Kinda like going to abs brakes on a car that didn't have.

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

What makes the xtr,s better than Xt . i talking shifters

Not much to be really honest, especcially if you are not using the xtr deraileur as well. The only real difference is that the xtr is lighter, that being said it is( theoretically) weaker and will wear faster.

hmm, not sure where 203 came into subject, haven't been considered at all.

More thinking of staying with 180 front and read.

BOM is looking as follows atm:

Shimano XT/Saint RT81 Ice-Tech CL Disc Rotor x 2

Shimano XT M785 Disc Brake Rear RH - Black/Black 1700mm Hose

Shimano XT M785 Disc Brake Front LH - Black/Black 1000mm Hose

G

The adapter is the black spacer that positions the caliper for the correct space from the frame basically wha the caliper connects to, no you can't use the old ones as the disc will be bigger than the space allowed by the adapter, the rotor will hit the edge of the caliper and it wont fit. There is no need to go 203 but it does look the business and feels a lot more "there". Kinda like going to abs brakes on a car that didn't have.

Edited by awesme

hmm, not sure where 203 came into subject, haven't been considered at all.

You mentioned possibly going bigger, next step up would be to 203 ....

180 up front, 160 rear.

Oro's are also bloody good brakes. SLX have awesome stopping power, so go with the shifters now. Knowing Shimano they will release a new model brake for 2013 and then you have just bought "old" stock

So...

discovered some things, when I went and rebooked at my bike

At the front I got a 160 rotor, with the caliper directly screwed into the fork,

Rear I got another 160 rotor, with the caliper on a adapter that says A180->R160

Also noticed my rotors are bolted onto the rim, and not a splise/groove slide on, well if that makes sense.

G

So...

discovered some things, when I went and rebooked at my bike

At the front I got a 160 rotor, with the caliper directly screwed into the fork,

Rear I got another 160 rotor, with the caliper on a adapter that says A180->R160

Also noticed my rotors are bolted onto the rim, and not a splise/groove slide on, well if that makes sense.

G

Pics will help :whistling: Bolted onto the hub rather? Edited by Caerus

As requested. :whistling:

G

hmmm trying to figure out to attached to pictures...

Sure there was a picture upload here in the past, not just a url attachment.

Pics will help :whistling: Bolted onto the hub rather?

Eish. Rotors look small, definitely no 180 there, and brakes look like white deore not slx.

I have the 1-20 800d and upgraded my deore to XT and hell, what a difference!

Bugger the shifters, do the brakes!!

Hi there

Ye, thought I had 180's front and rear, now discovered it is 160 front and rear.

so a set of 180 xt front and rear looks def like a plan for the future/sooooon

G

Eish. Rotors look small, definitely no 180 there, and brakes look like white deore not slx.

I have the 1-20 800d and upgraded my deore to XT and hell, what a difference!

Bugger the shifters, do the brakes!!

You won't be disappointed, just don't do metal pads, the 1-20 frame does not seem to agree with it.

Basically I wanted a 1-20 800D, but there was none left, so we took a 500D, and added the group set and other bits from a TFS MATTS 1000 Lite to it, which had the same bits as a 800D, or very close.

Not sure where this happened.

G