Rietvlei nature reserve?

Anine

Hello Anine, I ride the Rietvlei Nature Reserve (Pretoria) trails about twice a week. They have two trails the "Sunset route" and "Sunrise route'. Both trails are accessed from the Fishing entrance in Nellmapius road, you pay R10 for the ride.

Sunset starts to the right of the entrance, is basically a hill that you zig-zag on for about 6km, it is quite good for hill training. Sunrise to the left of the entrance is a flat but interesting single track on the Eastern side of the dam, it is about 7km. Trails are well maintained and fairly well marked. Well worth a visit particularily for beginners....

• 3 months later...
  • Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

So, I want to take friends and family (some beginners) for a ride at Rietvlei Nature Reserve (Pretoria) and have a braai afterwards over the long weekend coming up.

A few questions (from anyone who have been there lately) :

• Have the trails expanded since May (judging from Craig's post above)?
  • Is it safe to ride there?
  • Is the R10 extra to the entrance fee?
  • What is entrance fee?
  • Are there braai facilities there?

I have honestly never heard of this place, weird that 2 nature reserves would sjare the same name in opposite sides of Gauteng?

Well we not exactly Dr Suess when it come to naming places.

"what we gonna call this place."

"well its a vlei and it has reeds in it"

"let's call it rietvlei"

I'm planning on going thru there this coming sunday with some buddies.

Entrance fee is R10 per person, that's it...

Braai facilities and the like on the Eastern side of the dam, the fishing area.

The trails are still as mentioned above, but well worth a visit for a casual family excursion...

Oh, and it's super safe there!! Last time I rode there, I forgot to lock my car... Rode for about 90 minutes, came back, and everything was exactly as I left it...

Can't comment on the braai'ing facilities,

but riding is perfect, especially for beginners, actually planning on doing something similar with sister and brother in law.

Ride there every week, stay 5 min away.

G

• 9 months later...

Does anyone know if it is possible to ride in the actual reserve, not just the Dam area? Need some distance close to home.

Does anyone know if it is possible to ride in the actual reserve, not just the Dam area? Need some distance close to home.

ride with Rhino, cheetah, hippos and crocs, don't think so.

But then this is what I do at Rietvlei:

http://www.psc.org.za/images/bg2.jpg

ride with Rhino, cheetah, hippos and crocs, don't think so.

But then this is what I do at Rietvlei:

http://www.psc.org.za/images/bg2.jpg

Take pictures of yachts.

No you can only ride next to the Dam/Fishing Area. There are two short trails amounting to about 13km in total.

Have you tried the track at the Big Red Barn? It is about 10km from PVR. About 25km of single track there.

• 1 year later...

Rode at Rietvlei Pretoria yesterday. Tracks have been fixed up nicely. Worth a visit for a 1 hour ride if you live nearby...