dear mrclean, have you never heard of the north shore or wistler or wales? ...

debullet

ya they were ... the true temper DB's were insane though ... loved mine ...

this is from 1995 ... racing DH at Cascades National in PMB ... and crossing the finish bridge that Mike Van Zyl (gregs old mechanic from Honda days) ... faceplanted.

Good times ... that was proper MTB ... like Danger Dassie said ... XC and DH all on the same rig ... ok tracks have evolved since then as have the bikes and thats awesome for us ... but the segregation it has caused is sickening

Lovely pics and memories there :thumbup:

I remember in 91 we used to do the Kamikaze, then the Ezakimak and then a loop of 3k's at 4 laps or so and the best combined time was the winner.

All on rigid bikes ,till some twerps pitched up with their Giant Warp's :thumbdown:

• Replies 286
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Quite cool aint it, the name won't ring any bells with many, yet Ned Overend hails him as one of the greatest mountain bikers of all time.

What does John Tomac say about him?

Not sure , but I am certain you would have an answer somewhere in that little know-it-all brain of yours.

No Trek Slash or Remedy in SA ????... darn!

What bike shops in SA have the bikes that Patches mentioned on their floors?? What are the pricing on these bikes? Are there parts for these bikes in SA?

When you walk into a few bike shops here in Pta for eg. and ask for their 140mm / all mountain models I usually get the standard reply of "no, we don't do those, but we have these XC models, here are 3 models to choose from".

Surely one would like to sit on it, see it, feel it, check the size, hell even ride it down the stairs (if there is any) outside the shop to get a feel for the bike you are about to purchase? You test drive a car before you buy it?

The point I am trying to make is, that those who started off with XC or first timers who wants to try out all mountain, and wants learn to go faster down the trail and learn to take those jumps, are limited to options/models in SA - in most cases there aren't any of these in our LBS!

It does not make sense to haul your XC bike hectic terrain if its not designed to take that punishment / or even slapping a 140mm fork to your current setup...it's not designed for that.

Edited by FuelEX

ya they were ... the true temper DB's were insane though ... loved mine ...

this is from 1995 ... racing DH at Cascades National in PMB ... and crossing the finish bridge that Mike Van Zyl (gregs old mechanic from Honda days) ... faceplanted.

Good times ... that was proper MTB ... like Danger Dassie said ... XC and DH all on the same rig ... ok tracks have evolved since then as have the bikes and thats awesome for us ... but the segregation it has caused is sickening

Did you know a guy Paul De Vries by any chance? Cool pics :thumbup:

Depends, do you ride in lycra or baggies?

How much travel on your forks for furks sake? :ph34r: if it's less than 140mm your a sissie...

If your pedals has "egg" instead of "candy" in it's name then your a dirt-roadie for shure...

lycra sometimes, baggies sometimes. forks < 140mm. pedals neither egg nor candy. fookit, now I'm confused.anyone know a good therapist?

Doesn't matter....I just want one of these :thumbup:

post-6166-0-56399600-1337669608.jpg

Not that I have any idea how to use it...being a roadie and all

Edited by DaLoCo

lycra sometimes, baggies sometimes. forks < 140mm. pedals neither egg nor candy. fookit, now I'm confused.anyone know a good therapist?

Apparently you need to ride up to the mast or something like that...there is a wise old man up there :P

Quite cool aint it, the name won't ring any bells with many, yet Ned Overend hails him as one of the greatest mountain bikers of all time.

David "Tinker" Juarez .... probably the greatest mountain biker of all time ... was a pro when i started (he was racing for Cannondale back then) ... still a pro now ... Machine of note

I remember in 91 we used to do the Kamikaze, .......

hang on there a minute ... the REAL Kamikaze???? the Mammoth mountain one??? if so ... Sir you have my respect! :eek:

hang on there a minute ... the REAL Kamikaze???? the Mammoth mountain one??? if so ... Sir you have my respect! :eek:

No, I wish, I would never have had the nuts for it.

Locally they adapted the name for the downhill in all the events.

Gas Huffer

14th and Jefferson is the song.

:thumbup:

Great garage Rock Band.