dear mrclean, have you never heard of the north shore or wistler or wales? ...

debullet

Guest Omega Man

Featureless.... That my friend, says it all...

I like Blondes you might like Brunets. You like riding in that I like riding in Techy rooty forests with ski lift access. The fact that I don't like "Mountain Biking" on a flat road in the desert doesn't say it all. Not by a long shot

• Replies 286
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Is it only the Hubbers that are 'immediate expert technical riders' at their first events, or is that just my perception?

Not sure, but I got my skills as a kid playing outside riding my bike. I'll tell you how I see it.

I see it as all these new "dirt roadies" are people that did not play sports or go outside too much as kids. Now they have all the money to do these wonderful sports, but DO NOT have the ingrained skills that go along with most sports obtained as a kid.

I like Blondes you might like Brunets. You like riding in that I like riding in Techy rooty forests with ski lift access. The fact that I don't like "Mountain Biking" on a flat road in the desert doesn't say it all. Not by a long shot

I refer back to your previous comment:

"No dude. Really now. Have you ever done any riding abroad?

I've only ridden in the cape and a tiny bit in pietermaritzburg but nothing I've ridden here comes even remotely close to riding in the alps."

Like I said its all relative....

Northern Cape/West coastish....anyway its in the gramedoelas

Looks very dry & dusty, but I would still like to ride that. :thumbup:

Looks very dry & dusty, but I would still like to ride that. :thumbup:

Its very pretty but just a gravel road in the end.Would feel a lot better with 800cc under me

Guest Omega Man

I refer back to your previous comment:

"No dude. Really now. Have you ever done any riding abroad?

I've only ridden in the cape and a tiny bit in pietermaritzburg but nothing I've ridden here comes even remotely close to riding in the alps."

Like I said its all relative....

Yeah. For sure. You are 100% correct. I can only comment from my frame of reference which I freely admit is limited. But if I'm to truly expand on my riding experience the Richtersveld is surely at the bottom of the list. It's a ROAD. In the DESERT. That's not Mountain Biking. That's riding on a dirt road.

Guest Omega Man

Its very pretty but just a gravel road in the end.Would feel a lot better with 800cc under me

Now we talking. Braap. I do believe you've given me an idea.

Edited by Omega Man

Yeah. For sure. You are 100% correct. I can only comment from my frame of reference which I freely admit is limited. But if I'm to truly expand on my riding experience the Richtersveld is surely at the bottom of the list. It's a ROAD. In the DESERT. That's not Mountain Biking. That's riding on a dirt road.

I refuse to debate at this level...

Yay! It's label time again!

Down hilling and free riding are not mountain biking - they are called Gravity Riding.

Riding technical short laps is not mountain biking - it's called XCO.

Long rides on relatively easy roads is called XCM.

Hang on - what is mountain biking again?

Stop being a label monster and let anybody who wants to call themselves "mountain biker" do it. The last thing our sport needs is title happy snobs who think they're better because they choose to ride one form of mountain biking more than another...

Yay! It's label time again!

Down hilling and free riding are not mountain biking - they are called Gravity Riding.

Riding technical short laps is not mountain biking - it's called XCO.

Long rides on relatively easy roads is called XCM.

Hang on - what is mountain biking again?

Stop being a label monster and let anybody who wants to call themselves "mountain biker" do it. The last thing our sport needs is title happy snobs who think they're better because they choose to ride one form of mountain biking more than another...

Now that is someone that I would debate with...

to look further you have to go beyond the 5m you can see here. I would LOVE to go take my bike there for a week.

So technically its not really mountain biking, maybe a new classification is needed?

when i lived in vancouver i told my flatmates i was going 'mountain biking' to the university and back. which meant jolling through the forest on jeeptrack.

no man, that's 'trail riding'.

fair enough the one flatmate was dating one of the norco team downhill okes. they used to scare me with their north shore activities. (would be wasted on someone like me with limited skill/balls for that stuff, i'm more of a 'trail rider')

i agree with the OP.

why is it so hard to see that you cannot make an ignorant blanket-statement , saying that SA is the hawai of mtb, based on the fact that we have one or two big annual stage races?

there's more to mtb than stage racing, and as an all-round mtb destination we are OK, but there are places that cater for it much better than SA.

You got it all wrong, the best trails in the whole wide world are all in the USA, cause they say so.

The BEST Mountain Bike Trails in the World

Singletracks members have ranked the best mountain bike trails in the World using our unique trail ranking algorithm. The best bike trails are rated by weighing the following ranking factors:

http://www.singletracks.com/mountain-bike/best_trails.php

Guest Omega Man

To me riding on a road in the desert is not mountain biking. I'm sorry if that offends you in any way shape or form.

to look further you have to go beyond the 5m you can see here. I would LOVE to go take my bike there for a week.

when i lived in vancouver i told my flatmates i was going 'mountain biking' to the university and back. which meant jolling through the forest on jeeptrack.

no man, that's 'trail riding'.

fair enough the one flatmate was dating one of the norco team downhill okes. they used to scare me with their north shore activities. (would be wasted on someone like me with limited skill/balls for that stuff, i'm more of a 'trail rider')

My sister & family will be moving down the road from Whistler, I can't wait for her to get there (anyone want to buy a house in Kloof :rolleyes: )

Guest Omega Man

You got it all wrong, the best trails in the whole wide world are all in the USA, cause they say so.

The BEST Mountain Bike Trails in the World

Singletracks members have ranked the best mountain bike trails in the World using our unique trail ranking algorithm. The best bike trails are rated by weighing the following ranking factors:

http://www.singletra...best_trails.php

Haha. Yes. I read an article that rated the 20 best beers in the world recently. Unsuprisingly 11 of the best beers were American. Holy cow. you have to go all the way down to number 33 for a trail that isn't in the US.

Edited by Omega Man