Burgled

TitanioGT

I wonder though, how will they get into my machine if it's password/biometrically protected? And in hindsight, I should have encrypted all my data...

If your protection is before the bootloader phase of your BIOS, then its tough as hell, assuming they dont have the brains to short and recode a CMOS chip. But if your stuff is at OS level they will simply use a boot CD destroy your data and reload a OS.

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Be sure to install MacKeeper first thing.. Will tell you where your Mac is and will take a photo of who's using it and send it to you via e mail.

I presume it works for a IPad as well ?

The lifting of the gates is quite common, I welded some chain onto the poles at either end and now padlock both ends of our electric gate to the poles at night!

I placed a long bolt through the the arch were the gate slides . The bolt head is mm away from the top of the gate then wielded a nut on to the arch and welded a nother nut above the the arch . The gate can't be lifted because the bolt head stops it . Works like a bomb .

my inlaws stay in Kuils River and doesn't have an alarm system. so the one day my mom-in-law goes out to the car (parked behind a locked gate) and discovers the contents of the car (which included loads of scrapbooking stuff) had been tossed about the car. there was no broken window, no sign of forced entry, yet the car was kindly locked again. they took the garmin, cell charger cable and prescription sunglasses. luckily they had missed the camera which was in the bottom of one of the bags with scrapbooking stuff. next day ADT phones them to ask if they are interested in an alarm system.....................

years ago they had a similar incident where they found a guy in the house - next day ADT phones............

a friend of my daughter got burgled a couple of months ago. alarm company was ADT. the perps went thru the security gate and the locked front door, took all the lap tops and tv. the ADT patrol was parked 1 street away during the entire operation. draw your own conclusions.

we had an ADT rep call on us a few years ago, her opening spieel was 'do you know that there were 15 (if my memory serves me correct) murders in Edgemead last year', this in front of my kids. wot a load of BS, so i chased her out of my house.

Ok. So my laptop is being lobotomized & my security company is robbing me in more way than one. Lovely.

Ok. So my laptop is being lobotomized & my security company is robbing me in more way than one. Lovely.

welcome to africa, :) only thing that works two ridgebacks, trained not to accept food from anyone except their pack leader. Nobody and nothing comes close to my house. screw R600pm security companies.

Friend of a friend a few years ago had an alarm installed in their house. Week or 2 later place was burgled, they removed the roof tiles and got into the roof, disabled the system and cleaned them out. Clearly an inside job. They knew exactly where to go and what to do...

Problem is the alarm companies sometimes use third party companies to do the install and the lackey work. These are the okes that scope the place and come back :/ I wouldn't want work being done on my property by companies using guys they've picked up off the street!! I see tons of construction companies picking up guys at the bottom of fields hill in Durbs as day labor in the mornings on my way to work..

Ek en My ma het nou nog nooit in die fancyste huise gebly nie so ons kon nie baie gevorderde sekuriteits tegnologie gebruik nie, maar as my ma my een ding geleer het, is dit dat 'n inbreuker-prawn nooit weer sal terug kom as hy behoorlik gedonner is nie.

By een spesifieke huis in Johannesburg was ons byna elke week by ingebreuk. Ek het later so demoerin geraak dat ek een aand met my trusty baseball bat voordeur toe gestap het(waar die prawn besig was om die hek slot te pick) en hom letterlik tot by die hoofpad gejaag! Darnae was dit sos roetine... Ek het 'n paintball gun aangeskaf met solid "riotballs" en ek het die geweer se veering gestel dat hy 350voet per sekonde skiet. Om te hoor hoe 'n prawn "EISH!" Nadat ek hom geklets het met die paintball gun was nogal 'n goie gevoel...ons was bang hulle raak te ernstig en bring hulle eie speelgoed(9ml, 45 ens.) toe trek ons maar...

Ek glo nog altyd, neem reg in eie hande!

Jammer dit moes nou met Jou gebeur!

I presume it works for a IPad as well ?

Im not too sure.. For iPad.. and mac for that matter.. Just register with iCloud and get the Find my iPad (iPhone/Mac) App.. Then it can be tracked anytime..

ADT seems to have problems all around

For the last few years i have been with Chubb and never ever had a problem with them

Rotties are nice dogs to have if they are well trained , my 2 bitches sleep in the kitchen and the male next to my wife's side of the bed when i am not there(i work abroad alot) and if i am home he will be on my side-strange how he swops over to me when i am there

So if you can pass 3 Rotties .....

Be carefull of them poisoning the dogs when they do sleep outside-seems like it is a big thing -especially in Durban and Jhb

Also i dont agree to much with teaching your dog do accept food from only one person, any dog will eat a small piece of biltong that laying on the lawn, and when you do need to go away for a few days the dogs dont want to be fed from friend or by the kennel and eventually you end up sitting with a bit o a problem cause you cant go anywhere

We had a break in on a site in the area, turns out their is surveillance footage of the security guards chatting ro the peeps at the garage .........

The security company knows your alarm system and how to access your place; your insurance company knows what's particularly valuable. Somewhere there's a low-paid employee with loose lips to sink ships...

Had an electrician, plumber or anyone else in recently?

And why does everyone keep the external hard drive right next to the computer? Doesn't that kinda defeat the idea of having a back-up?

At least your bike was safe. Or is it?

Looking at the all the posts here, it seems the consensus leans towards fowl play on the part of the security companies. So where does that leave us? At the mercy of the people we pay to "protect" us? And for how long do we put up with it? What are our options? Bomb-proofing our homes? Sadly, this may be our only option bar vigilantism...

The security company knows your alarm system and how to access your place; your insurance company knows what's particularly valuable. Somewhere there's a low-paid employee with loose lips to sink ships...

Had an electrician, plumber or anyone else in recently?

And why does everyone keep the external hard drive right next to the computer? Doesn't that kinda defeat the idea of having a back-up?

At least your bike was safe. Or is it?

We used a cleaning service recently, the only new variable in the equation & then there's the census guy from a while back...

The hard drive was not merely a back-up, but rather storage for a file server. My bike was perchance at the LBS for a service. I doubt that they would've taken it though since I think it was a premeditated "hit". If it were your run of the mill break-in, they woudl've gone into the study & bedrooms & turned the place, which they didn't.