Just finished Antibiotics way forward

I have just finished a course of Antibiotics and want to know the way forward

I feel fine no chest or head but still have a pathetic cough basically a tickle in my throat. I was thinking first few rides to take it easy

One hears all these stories about over exertion whilst on the tabs but seen as I finished the course i should be fine to start easy training again? last week thurs to Sunday I felt like S...., now feeling better

Any advice

Go for a test ride - if you feel fine during the ride you are sorted! That's my theory and I'm sticking with it.

I have just finished a course of Antibiotics and want to know the way forward I feel fine no chest or head but still have a pathetic cough basically a tickle in my throat. I was thinking first few rides to take it easy One hears all these stories about over exertion whilst on the tabs but seen as I finished the course i should be fine to start easy training again? last week thurs to Sunday I felt like S...., now feeling better Any advice
Go get some probiotics from my experience doesnt matter how good you feel if you ride hard the system goes down and you can have the problem relapse but if you replace the probiotics that the antibiotics killed with a daily supplement you should stay healthier for longer just my 2c (havent had flu in more than a year all i do is practice basic hygeine with the family take 1000mg vitamin c before bed and a probiotic one hour before breakfast) sorry got a bit off topic

My doctors advice:

Check your resting heart rate. if it's 20% more than normal, don't ride.

Otherwise you fine, but take it easy for a week or so.

My doctors advice:

Check your resting heart rate. if it's 20% more than normal, don't ride.

Otherwise you fine, but take it easy for a week or so.

+1 on that

Antibiotics are just antibiotics, and cannot cause harmful effects during physical exertion.

The problem comes in when misdiagnosed eg, a miocarditis or pericartitis (inflammation of the heart muscle or the "sac" around your heart), or exercising when you have a condition like these.

Those will cause you BIG problems.

If your resting HR is around where it should be, take it easy on a first couple of rides and test the waters.

Happy recovery

Edited by NINER_boy

I'm no doctor but i was on antibiotics just a while ago and it took me two weeks to recover fully from that.Good luck!

I'm no doctor but i was on antibiotics just a while ago and it took me two weeks to recover fully from that.Good luck!

All depends on your initial diagnosis and condition.

Some conditions / infections take longer to recover from than others.

As tough as it may be.....just be honest with yourself(totally honest). If you aren't feeling 100% like you did before your illness wait until you are. It is offseason and it is not worth risking it. I am still suffering the consequences of not listening to that small voice, fortunately not too serious.

+1 on that

Antibiotics are just antibiotics, and cannot cause harmful effects during physical exertion.

Yip, agreed. I was on 4 course of antibiotics, leading up to (hardest training week) and during Joberg2c. Didnt affect my performance 1 bit.

I wasnt taking it for the Flu (was another misdiagnosed infection I had), so had no reason not to train while on it. The 2 doctors I saw told me to train as like.

But if you don't feel 100% recovered from the flu, you might still want to rest a little more.

Had a nice easy ride took the MTb on the road mostly flat and a climb to get me home but really didn't push

Feel fine so will have a few more of those rides and then hit the trails

Anyway thanks for all the bits and pieces all sensible info

For your sake I really hope you stay healthy.

My sad story: Finished course of anti-biotics, waited two more days, easy 24km ride last Saturday with group, and same distance at Groenkloof this week Monday. Guess what, Tuesday afternoon it started all over again. Now Im on vitamins, pro-biotics and all. No riding again

I finished my hectic anti-biotics on the 11th of May and still had a terrible cough. Took an additional 2 weeks off all exercise (didn’t even climb the stairs to my office) as I didn’t want to relapse. So in total I was 6 weeks without my normal exercise routine (and a few kgs added :() - Last Friday I started climbing the stairs at work again and Saturday I went for a slow 60km cycle in the Baviaans over Bergplaas and back and my cough is definitely less now...this week I started jogging again and last night I went for a faster MTB type of sprint...coughed a lot afterwards, but feel fine today.

Think the cough will still stay for a bit, but think the sick feeling is gone. Just have to get back to full fitness and throw the kg's away.. :rolleyes:

Edited by hayleyearth

keep warm, when training, don't take your heart rate over about 140-ish. There's a calc, but I forget it. Get some pro-biotics. The meds have killed your intestines, and they're the biggest organ in your body. Get warm as soon as you finish riding. Don't stop for coffee, get cold, and then ride home, that's asking for a relapse.

Yeah, make sure your gut / digestive tract is also recovering after the nuclear explosion caused by the 'biotics.

Probiotics can be used during the period as well.

So, for a week or two - ee-zeee on the training intensity.