Down hill confidence.

flossy

ok, great tips on downhills but any tips on riding really short steep inclines - this is where my nerves come apart

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Flossy, you're not alone! I've been on one ride and wasn't mad about it, but I've lowered my saddle so we'll see next time. Even on the road, I'm on the brakes far too often, and my shoulders were stiff from tenseness after the first MTB session.

Hairy's also right, MTB uses different muscles from road, I've noticed.

I had a look on Youtube, there are some really useful tutorials there on technique.

Now, I just have to find a way of getting uphill without my forks coming off the ground, or the back wheel slipping furiously.

Keep at it! We will overcome some day!

ok, great tips on downhills but any tips on riding really short steep inclines - this is where my nerves come apart

1. Make sure you are in the correct gear before hitting the section (hardly ever will this be granny gear)

2. Look up. Way up and pick your line well in advance.

3. Sit on the tip of your saddle moving your weight over the front wheel to keep in planted

4. Pull your handlebar down and towards you

5. Keep your pedal strokes smooth and even so as not to spin and lose traction and momentum

6. Practice, practice, practice

Flossy, you're not alone! I've been on one ride and wasn't mad about it, but I've lowered my saddle so we'll see next time. Even on the road, I'm on the brakes far too often, and my shoulders were stiff from tenseness after the first MTB session.

Hairy's also right, MTB uses different muscles from road, I've noticed.

I had a look on Youtube, there are some really useful tutorials there on technique.

Now, I just have to find a way of getting uphill without my forks coming off the ground, or the back wheel slipping furiously.

Keep at it! We will overcome some day!

I take it you lower your saddle for the "downhill" stuff only?

1. Make sure you are in the correct gear before hitting the section (hardly ever will this be granny gear)

2. Look up. Way up and pick your line well in advance.

3. Sit on the tip of your saddle moving your weight over the front wheel to keep in planted

4. Pull your handlebar down and towards you

5. Keep your pedal strokes smooth and even so as not to spin and lose traction and momentum

6. Practice, practice, practice

have practice falling lots just need to practice staying upright now :w00t:

I take it you lower your saddle for the "downhill" stuff only?

Um, well, no, I just thought it might be easier to get used to the bike and learn to stand more (MTB seems to use a lot more body movement than road?). The original post (bike, not flossie's) was slightly bent but I had another lying around. The plan is to raise it slightly as I get (hopefully) more confident.

Um, well, no, I just thought it might be easier to get used to the bike and learn to stand more (MTB seems to use a lot more body movement than road?). The original post (bike, not flossie's) was slightly bent but I had another lying around. The plan is to raise it slightly as I get (hopefully) more confident.

Some sense in that when descending or riding technical stuff and single track, but pedaling with a lowered saddle is not good for your lower back and knees. You will also exercise different muscles than you would by sitting at the correct height.

Always best to have someone in the know show you the basics. Keep your eyes and ears open for a Tread skills day or something similar. Have been working on a skills day with Cycle Factory. Will let you know when it's happening.

Edited by The Crow

Some sense in that when descending or riding technical stuff and single track, but pedaling with a lowered saddle is not good for you lower back and knees. You will also exercise different muscles than you would by sitting at the correct height.

Always best to have someone in the know show you the basics. Keep your eyes and ears open for a Tread skills day or something similar. Have been working on a skills day with Cycle Factory. Will let you know when it's happening.

Thanks Crow!

Some of the worst falls I've seen, road and mtb, have been toe strap related. I say ride what YOU are comfortable with. I ride 5.10 / flats combo, but when I did a race or two earlier this year on a 29er I wore clips. Had one VERY scary moment, cause reflex reaction now is to just take my foot off - not used to unclipping first. But you get used to it quick enough either way.

Flossy, for now I'd say stick with flat pedals. Will help having one less thing to think about when things get sketchy.

heh! really? I found them really useful when i was firs starting! the technique was not to tighten them too much. Maybe it was psychological. Lol.

Have many flat pedals and my super awesome 5.10's which get used for everything now.. (think the girlfriend is getting jealous...)

• 11 months later...

Before TheHub went down 2 weeks ago here was some video links posted on this thread does anyone remember or know where I can find them?

Milky - if you are looking for skills vids, head over to YouTube and search for vids done by Fabien Barel - dudes a legend and knows his stuff!

Teaches me something new every time I watch them!

Milky - if you are looking for skills vids, head over to YouTube and search for vids done by Fabien Barel - dudes a legend and knows his stuff!

Teaches me something new every time I watch them!

thanks I'm asking for a friend.

The number one most important mountain biker rule of all time and eternity: If you can't learn to do it right, learn to enjoy mucking it up... The rest will be taken care of in time.