LOTS of questions for my SS build.....

ebenvn

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I also see most of the spacer kits say "converts 8/9 speed to single speed"..... Do they also work on 10 speed systems? (I thought its only the casette that changes, and not the hub.... :wacko: )

I also see most of the spacer kits say "converts 8/9 speed to single speed"..... Do they also work on 10 speed systems? (I thought its only the casette that changes, and not the hub.... :wacko: )

I bought a standard Deore crank, 175mm and plenty strong. for spacers when running SS on multi-ring cranks:

http://www.chainreac...x?ModelID=19227

As for chains, the KMC Z610HX is a must it is very strong (2600 lbf tensile) and are quite cheap the 610 has 3/32 spacing:

http://www.chainreac...x?ModelID=25433

For sprocket with a wide base i use:

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Models.aspx?ModelID=17775

Edited by hdp_gmx

• 3 weeks later...

Put my order in and received everything this week. Struggled a bit in the week to get the old blades of the crank (got a second hand KCNC crank from my LBS), so will spend some time this weekend to get it of and start the build... With rugby and working, hopefully can get it done! Have all the parts, except still on the lookout for some brakes

Halo cogs have the widest base I've seen so far at 7mm. Its a all steel cog. Looks like a good cog saw them at 2 lbs just a but pricey

• 10 months later...

As an interim measure I took apart an old cassette and use the cogs from there. Not a long term solution, as the cog will bite into the hub over time, but a cheap and nasty quick fix. You then also have a full set of different sized cogs which you can try out to find the "perfect" gear.

I have a DMR tensioner and it works quite well, along with an old 3 x crank. I think Dialed Bikes stock a DMR SS conversion kit, which includes tensioner and spacers.

• 3 weeks later...

Ok guys, took more than a year (yes, pathetic - I know...) :thumbdown:

Finally finished this project... Will take it for a ride this week and see how it goes. Build made up by mostly old parts, only bought brakes and SS components:

• Gary Fisher Aliminium with carbon rear triangle
  • KCNC crank with SS blade
  • RockShox Reba fork
  • Deore Brakes
  • XT wheels
  • FSA stem with Specialized bar and grips
  • Old seat off my very first Merida

Now to decide which race to try with it. Thinking of giving myself at least 6 months to be SS fit!

post-20111-0-07673700-1371534875_thumb.jpg

Ok guys, took more than a year (yes, pathetic - I know...) :thumbdown:

Finally finished this project... Will take it for a ride this week and see how it goes. Build made up by mostly old parts, only bought brakes and SS components:

• Gary Fisher Aliminium with carbon rear triangle
  • KCNC crank with SS blade
  • RockShox Reba fork
  • Deore Brakes
  • XT wheels
  • FSA stem with Specialized bar and grips
  • Old seat off my very first Merida

Now to decide which race to try with it. Thinking of giving myself at least 6 months to be SS fit!

Nissan cullinan, there will be a few SS'ers there that weekend for a bachelors. pull in.

Thanks! Allready entered for the marathon, don;t think Ill be able to manage that yet on my SS. Was thinking of van Gaalens half...

Guys I need some advise. Bought a GT Zaskar expert 26" frame and I am busy building it up from scratch for my very first SS project. Just found out the frame can easily take a 650B rim with a 2.1 tire with still more than enough clearance for mud.

Is it worth the "upgrade" or is 26" wheels the way to go? The rigid fork I bought can also easily take a 650B