GXP BB

Lukep

I have a GXP BB on my bike and I have done roughly 800km on it and it is running rough.

I was looking at a hope BB as a replacement, will the Hope last longer or it is a design flaw in the GXP desing that your bb life is reduced?

I have GXP on my MTB that I do not treat very well... And no issues at all! Is it fit properly? Maybe have the frame re-threaded before you get the new BB...

Luke, Gords also has the same bb fit as you and he hates his, also gets roughly 600-800km out of his....he hates his truvativ crankset and will be the first thing he changes. He blames the seals, normal vg ride and his bb is drenched...ask him, why not go full XTR boetie...I know you want to

Luke, Gords also has the same bb fit as you and he hates his, also gets roughly 600-800km out of his....he hates his truvativ crankset and will be the first thing he changes. He blames the seals, normal vg ride and his bb is drenched...ask him, why not go full XTR boetie...I know you want to

would love to go full XTR, not only is the crank expesnive but the blades are big numbers when you need to replace them.

I recon the Hope BB or CK might be the answer.

ja but then you will have the best looking cruz in da hood...no contest

PS I am just as gatvol with my noir cranks...I was hoping to break them with that creek/click I had going, it has no decided to shutup...lucky

Theres nothing wrong with GXP BB's..... except, on the driveside there is a "top hat" style plastic seal cap that goes between the crank and bearing. This presses into the the ID of the bearing and up agianst the rubber seals of the bearing. it has a small lip that the crank spindle holds tight in the bearing, but that whole cap can work its way out. it then leaves the cranks with a little bit of play, but worse, it leaves the bearing exposed... hense the shortened life. When you fit the BB. Clean the ID of the bearing on the drive side with alcohol, put a tiny drop of superglue and slip the plastic cap in..... now it cant work its way out and the bearings stay sealed....

BTW.... all this aplies to the newer "gutterseal" type GXP... i have no experience with earlier ones...!!

Edited by Bat-ass

If been riding GXP for about 2 years now - no serious issues.

After a wet/muddy ride - just take off the outer seals and inject some waterproof/marine grease with a syringe ( no needle) and close it up again.

Its mostly the non-driveside that has issues - this is also the easier side to service.

You can also get a BB rebuild form Spokeworks at about R 300 I think - still much cheaper that CK.

However - CK would prob have less maintenance.

You can replace the bearings with enduro bearings - better bearing and will last longer - best person to speak to about which size bearings is Ruan at Spokeworks. Also started servicing my bb and helps a lot to extend the lifetime..

Water that comes in from the seatpost side needs to drain out somewhere otherwise it will seep into the BB bearings and cause premature failure. The bottom bracket shell needs to have a 4-5mm hole drilled to allow the water to drain.

Water that comes in from the seatpost side needs to drain out somewhere otherwise it will seep into the BB bearings and cause premature failure. The bottom bracket shell needs to have a 4-5mm hole drilled to allow the water to drain.

Correct!

My frame has a drainage hole.

If you do the maths bearing are R150 a pop labout is about the same. So it is a R300 exercise every 800-1000km

A Hope BB is R950 so it needs to last at least 3000kms to break even, what is the likelyhood of getting 3000km out of a BB?

Edited by Lukep

meneer let johan gooi those enduros on...only like 300-400 odd bucks, can you replace bearings on your bracket?

The problem with the GPX is the Labour required to make sue they last. I am having to take it apart and apply fresh marine greace once a month min. I cleaned it before Sani2c and we did the trail which had some mud. Also washing the bikes is not as careful as when your at your own house. First thing I did was strip it back at home and found water was getting in. I also stripped the GF's bike and her had a little water after the same race but not nearly as bad. She has an SLX BB and also it has done 3 times the amount of distance. My training bike has LX BB and that lasts way longer. I think try the enduro bearings route. My previous BB I did even get 400km before the non drive side was feeling rough, even though it looked like no water had gotten in. I don't think the actual bearings are very strong. I opened the one side up and there is only about 10 ball bearings held in a plastic ring unlike most other bearings where they have over 20 ball bearings almost touching each other. Enduro I think will be stronger. Some of the GPX bearing problems I have had I don't think it is water but the actual bearing just not being strong enough.

My next upgrade will be a new crank set. They are the worst I have ever used. Apart from the BB I have had chain suck for no reasons. My previous FAS was slick changing and even though I used the same oil I hardly ever had chainsuck. Truvativ in my 10 cents worth opinion was a mistake to buy.

oh the GPX bb only costs 340 to replace but still a pain. I have never had to replace BB's so often. I could create a GPX bb grave yard by now

Quick warning be for you go spend cash on a Hope bb. You need to remember that most Truvativ cranks are tapered so a Hope bb won't work