• Yes
    • No
    • Sometimes

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Jeez Patches - that looks a bit radical. Do you really screw the shoes to the pedal with those grub screw thingies!?

hahaha! no those grub screws screw your legs... but only if you're not wearing FiveTens ;)

But in all seriousness... the combo of the special Stealth rubber on FiveTens (the same rubber used on rock climbing shoes) and decent long pinned pedals... it makes it feel like your feet are bolted onto the pedal. The plus side... you can take them off in an instant.

The only downsideto a Fiveten-longpin combo is that you don't have that energy efficiency that cleats offer. But in terms of your foot staying put in the crazy stuff... they're amazing!

Edited by patches

On fast rocky uneven terrain especially downhills ...u need cleats for sure..

ridden with and without .. tried the nuke proof option , but still managed to bounce foot of pedal once or twice.

it also allows you to grip the seat with your thighs as well .. extra stability..

my 2 cents

• 4 months later...

I have MTB pedals on my road bike, use cleats all the time. On my MTB I only use it if I do rides longer than 80KM like K2C or TransKaroo.

I just love seeing people on shorter and more technical rides fail because of cleats. :w00t:

Either http://www.fireeye-bike.com/upload/prod/p_1346991327258.jpg

or

http://www.sunsetmtb.co.uk/images/shop/pfullsize_1374_1235997458.jpg

or

http://www.tredz.co.uk/blog/images/6a00d83451f74269e2016761999149970b-500wi.jpg

Depends on what is required.

Edited by S.I.R Maxxis

I have MTB pedals on my road bike, use cleats all the time. On my MTB I only use it if I do rides longer than 80KM like K2C or TransKaroo.

I just love seeing people on shorter and more technical rides fail because of cleats. :w00t:

Why .... .don't they know how to un-cleat, or they just technically lame when it comes to a bit of nice ST and would fall in any event, even if they walked it?

I find it often makes you push through that technical section (cleats) as opposed to just putting your foot down instead.

The question should perhaps be what advantage do you get for cleats on non endurance rides. Personally I find then great for climbing since you can also pull with your legs, but on a technical track I am better off with my old Nikes. They are also not affected by pushing through thick mud.

What is the difference if the race is 10k or 100km? Cleats help with pedal stroke 'push/pull' so performance wise it is better...also why would you fall over? I find cleats to improve handling on technical sections as you can throw the back around easier etc....you must be a serious knob if you fall over all the time...but then again you learn by falling, so id rather fall and look stupid for a few races than looking stupid for life using toe clips or normal pedals.

Five Ten + Point One Podium flats on my Trail / AM bike

Spez Comp + Look Quartz clipless on my XC whippet.

I'd prefer to always ride flats, but for flat, smooth XC type rides and long days in the saddle cleats make sense. Out on trail? Will never clip again.

... but on a technical track I am better off with my old Nikes. They are also not affected by pushing through thick mud.

Then you will be BLOWN AWAY by Five Tens

Generally, cleats. Not just for endurance rides, they offer control and efficient pedaling.

Uness you're riding dirt jumps and serious free ride stuff, and even then there guys using cleats.

Patches showed one of the better 'tekkie' options, if you're ridding with gym/running skoens, you're just doing yourself a torture.

On fast rocky uneven terrain especially downhills ...u need cleats for sure..

ridden with and without .. tried the nuke proof option , but still managed to bounce foot of pedal once or twice.

it also allows you to grip the seat with your thighs as well .. extra stability..

my 2 cents

So I guess, going downhill uncleated is suicide?... I like it, haha Had cleats and some fancy xc shoes for a day, gave it to my brother after a day.

Here's my foot rest of choice,

http://direct.coresites.mporatrons.com/dirt/wp-content/uploads/2010/12/holzfeller.jpg

What is the difference if the race is 10k or 100km? Cleats help with pedal stroke 'push/pull' so performance wise it is better...also why would you fall over? I find cleats to improve handling on technical sections as you can throw the back around easier etc....you must be a serious knob if you fall over all the time...but then again you learn by falling, so id rather fall and look stupid for a few races than looking stupid for life using toe clips or normal pedals.

Not critting you or trying to be a wise-ass, but generally if you're using your clipped in feet to move the bike around you are doing it wrong. Referring to: "as you can throw the back around easier etc".

Same with doing a bunny hop by pulling with your feet. Bike movement and skill is all in your hips and shoulders and how you move your own weight around on the bike. There are MANY advantages to riding with flat pedals...just difficult to explain.

Not dissing clipless. For 80% of folk it makes perfect sense. Like with most stuff there is no right or wrong - do what works for you and leave everyone else be, I say.

5.10's are genuinely in a league of their own. Has happened that I ride in my Solomons for whatever reason and even they, with at least some form of "off-road" grip do not come CLOSE to 5.10's. There's nothing quite like it.