2012 94.7

Agteros

900m to 1,000m would make it less than the Amashova.

The Route Profile on the 94.7 website says that there is 1,438m of climbing. This seems rather high

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

So my xmas leave gets cancelled this year because I'm the newby on the block cursing.gif and the rest of the gang got in before me. So turns out the only weekend I can get in my sun city time is over the same weekend as 94.7 wacko.png . So no xmas leave, no 94.7. Best I enjoy sin city then mellow.png

Exporting the MMR track to GE renders 760m elevation gain, 797m loss

For last year:

Google Earth gives: +834 / 865 ?

SportTracks (with elevation correction) : +1,384.1 / -1,500.5 last year

Strava (with elevation correction) : 1,334m

Exporting the MMR track to GE renders 760m elevation gain, 797m loss

For last year:

Google Earth gives: +834 / 865 ?

SportTracks (with elevation correction) : +1,384.1 / -1,500.5 last year

Strava (with elevation correction) : 1,334m

And on Garmin connect with elevation correction I got +1,260m / -1351m...

So one would think they all run off the same map data - why the big variances with elevation correction enabled...

This is my first 94.7 and I am doing it on a MTB (which is probably not ideal) and was wondering whether I should be using road tyres. Any advice in this regard....please?

6 times - the amount of times I've done it on a MTB, 4 of them on with knobblies.

Just ride your bike and don't worry about the riding on knobblies... you'll be just fine.

Rather enjoy the atmosphere, at certain places along the route it has to be said.

You'll also have less chances of puncturing on the route and you don't need that stress in your first 94.7

My 2c worth

How hard is it to do a sub 3 hour time for this race ? my recent results are 2h27min for west coast express (85km-WINDY) 5HOURS for the One tonner 160km. My only concern is my start time .

The first half is definitely quicker than the second half, so try keep your average speed between 33-35Km/h for the first half.

You'll need to get to Witkoppen Road (Fourways) between 1:25 or 1:30 (latest) to stand a chance.

So what time at the Satellite "medium" would translate into sub 3? I did 2:54 (with the compulsory mechanical of 2min). Still have Babbas, wine 2 whales and 94.7MTB before then, so I could improve a bit... Please say I should be OK.....

You averaged 31.5Km/h last week - was it on your own, or in a bunch? If it's the latter, then you might not make it.

How did you ride on the climbs (excluding Hekpoort)? The two in the first part of the race, the little bump before Hekpoort, the one just before the Satellite station? Not big climbs for the competitive cyclists, but there are quite a few like these on the 94.7.

1st - is at 15km, just after you exit the M1

2nd - just before Parktown,

3rd - in Randburg passing Republic Road

4th - just before you cross over the N1

5th & 6th - on Witkoppen after the waterpoint

7th - Malibongwe just before the Lion Park intersection

8th - N14 after the Jukskei river, plus a few psychological ones on the N14

9th - Just after you've cycled under the N14 (Summit road I think)

10th - Heartbreak Hill (5Km to go)

and the last bump just before the entrance to the finish area.

You need to be able to climb all these short, sharp bumps at 16-20km/h to give yourself a chance.

Like I said above, when you get to Witkoppen road, you're about halfway (from a time point of view).

Edited by geraldm24

6 times - the amount of times I've done it on a MTB, 4 of them on with knobblies.

Just ride your bike and don't worry about the riding on knobblies... you'll be just fine.

Rather enjoy the atmosphere, at certain places along the route it has to be said.

You'll also have less chances of puncturing on the route and you don't need that stress in your first 94.7

My 2c worth

Thanks GM24

This is my first 94.7 and I am doing it on a MTB (which is probably not ideal) and was wondering whether I should be using road tyres. Any advice in this regard....please?

Yes I would say spend the few bucks on slicks.

I am also doing 2 laps/loops this year. Aiming for a sub 3 on the first lap but we will most probably do a 5 to 7hour second lap because we will be pushing the ice cream bikes around the track.

My Garmin measured 1205m of climbing last year.

I went riding hills this morning. First time this year and it felt like I was going to die. 900 odd meters ascending took me 2:45'ish. 60kms or so. I'm hoping the race intensity and draughting will get me over the line in 3:15. Am I on track?

My 2c worth

What he said thumbup1.gif

Edited by Lamber