It nearly happened to me too.

Sammajoor

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

IMHO us 'recreational' cyclists have no excuse not to be 'lit up' properly but the 'commuter' guys who are most of the ones you see riding against the traffic (and we know why most do that .....) are somewhat different and the reason I say this is that I discussed this with a gardener we had for a while and he said that if you are earning just enough (and sometimes too little) to feed and house your family even the 'mere 50 rand' we talk of is not to be 'sqaundered' on lights and stuff.

True. R50 buys a lot of food. That's why I think the PPA giving out helmets and lights is a great initiative - and a good reason not to whinge about race entry costs.

I've had two ocassions when my back light's batteries died very suddenly. It's really not comfortable riding like that.

I have two staff members that cycle to work every day bought them front and rear lights and bright jackets. Now that it is winter buy winter clothes for them. They have been cycling to work for about 6 months now because they are dedicated on cycling to work I went and bought a bike rack to place on the taxi that comes and collects my staff at night as I am in the restaurant business . They save R 10 on transport a day R 60 a week. The problem now is that that the other staff want to cycle to work as well but the rack only has place for one more bike on the rack . Now comes the African idea boss what about the roof rack for the Taxi. So now we have a roof rack for two more bikes. Where do all the ideas come from tha bike magazine that I places in the shop. Think I must take them away next thing they will want a 29r. The great thing about this is that they read the magazines and are always asking questions about the products and new innovation .

That Sir, is one of the most awesome posts I've read in a long time.

I have a friend who often cycles in the dark at the crack of dawn. He refuses to ride with lights because he rekons the criminals wait in the bush and look out for the lights of cyclists and then jump them.

Personally, i think you have more chance of being killed by a car than being attacked for your bike.

Here's a thought....

Next time you are out shopping (LBS, online or wherever) and you see a set if lights (Front and rear), drop a set into your basket. Keep that set (With batteries) in your cubby hole/gym bag and the next time you see somebody without lights, pull them over and give them a gift of light (life) Who knows, you might just have saved somebody's life or somebody's father's life.

Have a look at this link:

Bike Lights

They are really easy to buy from and for around R50 you can make a difference.

Good idea, do our bit. My commute goes past link road to a low cost housing area and RDP houses, what I see on a daily basis is scary.

Perhaps some local pro's or bike shops should hold awareness workshops on how to ride correctly for such folk. Get some mileage from media coverage and give something back

The scary thing is that even WITH lights youare at risk. I have a 900 lumen Magicshine light up front as well as a Blackburn Flea at the back and a Tjopp pulled out in front of me the other morning. I was about 5m away. How the heck he "didn't see me" I have no idea...

If you are a cyclist you will see cyclists. If you aren't, well then you probably won't.

I agree with Tankman's "I would rather look like a christmas tree than be tree food!" approach. I am going to add reflective tape to my cranks and frame as well as add more lights.

Oncoming cars flash at me and sometimes pull off the road ... they might think its an abnormal load.

If someone cant see me, I look him in the eye with my headlamp :eek:

My christmas tree looks like this.

1x 808 Magic Shine - on Full on handlebar

1x LedLenser M7 - on Strobe on handlebar

1x LedLenser H7R on Full on helmet

1x Blackburn Mars Click Rear

Waiting on stock ... then I am adding this bad boy Owleye rear light to the back of my helmet also. Usb Rechargeable and it is farking bright!

Those R50 jobbie lights just does not work, they seem bright when you switch them on in the shop the first time and that is about it. Proper lights that is actually visible further than 3m away cost some money and it is money well spent!

Edited by Tankman

Oh and all those front lights might seem like an overkill but there is method behind my madness.

Never go night riding without a backup light!

First time it happened on the mountain in Lourensford, luckily I made it home ... slowly.

Since that time, I always go out with a backup light.

Second time deep in Jonkershoek, my main light died and then my backup light died but luckily my headlamp got me home! :thumbup:

Edited by Tankman

Oncoming cars flash at me and sometimes pull off the road ... they might think its an abnormal load.

If someone cant see me, I look him in the eye with my headlamp :eek:

My christmas tree looks like this.

1x 808 Magic Shine - on Full on handlebar

1x LedLenser M7 - on Strobe on handlebar

1x LedLenser H7R on Full on helmet

1x Blackburn Mars Click Rear

Waiting on stock ... then I am adding this bad boy Owleye rear light to the back of my helmet also. Usb Rechargeable and it is farking bright!

Those R50 jobbie lights just does not work, they seem bright when you switch them on in the shop the first time and that is about it. Proper lights that is actually visible further than 3m away cost some money and it is money well spent!

Wow! No chance of you getting run over :thumbup: More is definitely better. I will be adding to my collection shortly.

Regarding the R50 lights, I agree, you do get what you pay for but if I can give a set of R50 lights to someone that doesn't have lights, at least he has some form of warning to motorists and it might save his life.

Having lights front and back is great but still makes you almost invisible to a car approaching from the side at a T-junction. Some front lights give off very little light to the side. To me it's wierd how many people wear black and have nothing reflective that alerts a driver in this situation.

*side-track*: almost pooped myself one morning very early walking my dogs. We scrambled up a shortcut and at the top, in the bushes, this little red light on crack was jumping around in the dark... dogs bristled as if the son of satan was waiting for us. Black as coal and nothing else to see, just this light. We waited and off it went, but when we got to the top it started coming back... attached to the collar of a Doberman!

I too am a christmas tree when I cycle. Two lights up front and two lights at the back. Flasher on the bars and a LED headlamp. Another flasher on the seatpost and a 2nd clipped to the right side of the back pocket on the road and connected to the headlamp strap at the back of the helmet when going offroad. Bought one of the extreme lights on the groupon deal and will put this on my handlebars as an extra up front.

*side-track*: almost pooped myself one morning very early walking my dogs. We scrambled up a shortcut and at the top, in the bushes, this little red light on crack was jumping around in the dark... dogs bristled as if the son of satan was waiting for us. Black as coal and nothing else to see, just this light. We waited and off it went, but when we got to the top it started coming back... attached to the collar of a Doberman!

:D And there you were, thinking "alien" or "supernatural", while it was only a doggy. Ha ha

:D And there you were, thinking "alien" or "supernatural", while it was only a doggy. Ha ha

Sure was "ha ha"!!!

Damn good way to make your black dog visible!

Question...

How do you mount that? With one of their handlebar units? If so does it hold well?

There is a bike mount available for around R80, fits most of the flashlights in their range. Simply clips in and out but sits solidly!