More technical events

Corvus

I normally don't enter races because I find them rather boring compared to just riding trails. One thing I do like about racing though is the whole vibe, and it's a good motivator to up your fitness levels etc.

It seems most mountain biking events caters for XC style racing where it's relatively flat and fast and over longer distances. I'm looking to enter some more technical races. I suppose it's a matter of money talking. The easier the race, the more entries there will be and thus the more money can be made.

But what is a trail biker like myself to do if I feel like racing?

Now, watching Supercycling etc. there are shedloads of events going on almost every weekend, but it's really difficult getting any info about the races in terms of their technical challenge.

I'm not going to pay R 150.00 bucks to schlep for 80 kms down district roads with the occasional groomed singletrack. I'd prefer a 20-30 kms race on a blue or even black diamond type trail.

Do you guys know of any such events in the Gauteng area? Thus far all I know of is the Thaba Toughie, and perhaps Redstone Angry Alligator (judging by last year's complaints that it was too technical).

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Best solution is to pack up and move to CT ... we also have a couple of the gravel type rides, but then also a fair share of decent MTB rides.

It seems most mountain biking events caters for XC style racing where it's relatively flat and fast and over longer distances.

Do you guys know of any such events in the Gauteng area?

Not in Gauteng, I know, sucks for me as well. (also why you don't get AM bikes in this country - market is too big for XC and they cater for it only but that is another can of worms, so I will leave it there)

So, I am now looking to do an event every odd month or so in another province (mainly KZN) making a weekend out of it. Did the Karkloof classic a while back and man, was I stoked!! Probably the best day on my bike (so far) & technical.

Also need to take my bike to the Cape, I believe Tokai, Jonkershoek & those places are mtb heaven!

The highveld is too 'plat' for what we are looking for.

Edited by FuelEX

Toughie was pretty technical going down (all ride able - but had to have your wits about you) - I am ok technically, though had some close shaves. There is a second one being organized sometime July if not mistaken (Wendell posted on it just after the first). The hardest part about the toughee, were the shortish steep technical climbs - need race horse legs to get up them all. All ride able - depending on Fitness.

Other than that XC Races are a good option : Guateng Provincials have two more races (one this Sunday), and next in July. Fountains and Avianto

Then Engnet Winter series - all at Phambili (race this sat), one in July and last in August. Pretty technical, depending on course set-up. For the first one walked / ran one section on each lap. Again was ride able though guy in front of me almost had his backside flash before his eyes, and that took the wind out of my sails big time!

helps?

looks it's not Tokai - but Thabo, Kingskloof and the like are not "plat" by any stretch of the imagination ....

What distance would a technical race be then?

mmm ... you asking me??

Thabo = 20km

Others mentioned - laps of 4-6km (aim to have the race finish in around 1:30)

events schmeevents!

I'm over the whole race-ist thing. Yes, there are the odd ones like the KZN Enduro, or Mankele Avalanche... but apart from those (and excluding the DH events) it's all XCM with a little XCO on the side.

So I go to the DH races on occasion... otherwise... I ride where I want to ride ;)

So far I've been district-road race sober for about 7months. I may be enticed into a race-ist event if the goodie-bag is decent :lol:

events schmeevents!

I'm over the whole race-ist thing. Yes, there are the odd ones like the KZN Enduro, or Mankele Avalanche... but apart from those (and excluding the DH events) it's all XCM with a little XCO on the side.

So I go to the DH races on occasion... otherwise... I ride where I want to ride ;)

So far I've been district-road race sober for about 7months. I may be enticed into a race-ist event if the goodie-bag is decent :lol:

Its gonna be a loooooong wait then.

you should have come down to kzn for the howick mtb a couple of weeks ago - probably our most technical race - a lot more so than karkloof and without all the people bottlenecks - so very free-flowing

What distance would a technical race be then?

Thaba Toughy is 2 x 20km laps. It's really tough though because, as another poster pointed out, there are many steep ascents.

you should have come down to kzn for the howick mtb a couple of weeks ago - probably our most technical race - a lot more so than karkloof and without all the people bottlenecks - so very free-flowing

I have to agree, KZN races are your best bet for something more technical.

Not in Gauteng, I know, sucks for me as well. (also why you don't get AM bikes in this country - market is too big for XC and they cater for it only but that is another can of worms, so I will leave it there)

So, I am now looking to do an event every odd month or so in another province (mainly KZN) making a weekend out of it. Did the Karkloof classic a while back and man, was I stoked!! Probably the best day on my bike (so far) & technical.

Also need to take my bike to the Cape, I believe Tokai, Jonkershoek & those places are mtb heaven!

The highveld is too 'plat' for what we are looking for.

I'll definitely check out Karkloof next year or whenever there's an event there.

I'll definitely check out Karkloof next year or whenever there's an event there.

There is always Hil2Hill coming up and then there is the Trailblazer at the end of the year at Karkloof :thumbup: Edited by Caerus