• Replies 2.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

my future wheelset in thinking of.....

1. superstar switch evo hubs

2. Conti MK II protection (2.4) front, and X-King protection (2.4) rear

3. Spank oozy Evo, mainly cz they have it in blue :whistling: (but maybe imna go with the subrosa)

but still dreaming....

Chjoop liss

did the squiggliness start at the start of your run and continue, or develop toward the end/after some hard riding?

Started at the start of the run, two rides prior..

I've been progressively adding air and pressures are always where I left them, or close enough. No apparent loss of air, certainly no burping, my fingers will testify that you don't get a tighter fitting combo than Subrosa and NN. It even sealed before the Stans went in!!

Subrosa has a DAMN difficult time of getting the tire on. Only tire that willingly went on was an old WTB wolverine... And I use the term "willingly" very loosely.

Granted, they are probably due to the beads being very new, but still. I've broken 2 of those green tire levers trying to get my Schwalbes on there.

Started at the start of the run, two rides prior..

I've been progressively adding air and pressures are always where I left them, or close enough. No apparent loss of air, certainly no burping, my fingers will testify that you don't get a tighter fitting combo than Subrosa and NN. It even sealed before the Stans went in!!

Then you just ride really hard, and might have to increase your starting pressure just a tad more than normal. A rear tyre especially takes the motherload in a corner, and will squirrel even in a berm if u smash the berm hard enough. There's plenty of lateral forces to want to rip the tyre off the rim.

Edited by Capricorn

Due to the high continental prices

are the Maxxis minion DHF and DHR downhill specific tyres?

how do they compare to the Conti MK II protection, anyone tried comparing before?

DHF = DownHill Front

DHR = Downhill Rear

It is a downhill tire, but many people run them on their trail bikes due to their IMMENSE amounts of grip. They will be heavier than the continentals, but they will also offer better grip due to their more aggressive lugs and softer compound (if you go with the 3C version)

It is a hugely popular tire, for a very good reason. No reason why you can't put them on your Trek Fuel. Would improve it, actually!

how do they compare to the Conti MK II protection, anyone tried comparing before?

DH F&R.. there's a clue there somewhere.. ;)

that said, they wont have the additional sidewall protection as with the Conti. But i dont think the MK II and the Minions are directly comparable in terms of intended use. Then again, never used conti rubber on my MTBs before.

Okay - to clarify my "better grip" assertion above, it's NOT the case on hardpack. They will squirm more than the contis thanks to the bigger lugs.

But in the cape, on our trails, Minion is cool.

And if you're thinking of getting one, the UST version is the one to get when comparing with the Protection of the Contis. Fatter sidewalls than the non-UST version, therefore more puncture resistant.

DH F&R.. there's a clue there somewhere.. ;)

that said, they wont have the additional sidewall protection as with the Conti. But i dont think the MK II and the Minions are directly comparable in terms of intended use. Then again, never used conti rubber on my MTBs before.

DH F&R - i was on their website and couldn't find the details, so didnt want to assume. Rather ask the Pro's on the Hub.

i see they come in EXO - seems pretty much similar to conti's ProTection stuff, if not better.

I never used either before.. :blush: currently running the stock stuff "Bontrager jones XR", so i guess anything will be better than my current stuff.

They will be heavier than the continentals, but they will also offer better grip due to their more aggressive lugs and softer compound (if you go with the 3C version)

actually, 3C refers to a combination of 3 rubber compounds on one tyre: harder base layer, soft middle knobs with softer sideknobs (or other way around for the middle and side knobs).

Now however, 3C comes in different flavas:

3C Maxx Speed - harder compound for speed: XC and Enduro

3C Maxx Terra - softer than Speed, but lower rolling resistance than Grip

and 3C Maxx Grip - slowest rebound, mostest grip.

Not sure where Super Tacky (ST) fits into that new 3C scheme, but I hazard it's their ultra special rubber for DH

They come in different casings, Single Ply, 2 Ply Downhill Specific (with Butyl inner), etc.

The downhill specific casing is heavy but tough