AM tyres... what you running?

patches

Flowta how did you find the Fluid and Flow. I'm looking to get some new tyres ASAP.

Haven't had a chance to mount them yet :blush:

Haven't had much time to ride at all since I got them. Doesn't help that I've done my shoulder blade in on Friday, so I'm out from ANY sport for 3-4 weeks. :eek:

• 1 month later...
  • Replies 2.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I have had Hans Dampf 2.35 front and 2.25 rear - both Trailstar compound as this was all i could get my hands on at the time. I love the grip, width and size of these tires but damn these things wear fast! I have been using them for about a month and a half, and the rear has probably got about 30% life left. The front is fine wear-wise. Both of them have side knobs which are cracking and tearing. I know a pacestar would've been better at the back, but i'm thinking the front could do with it as well, especially as things will be drier in the Cape from now on... For the price, I am thinking of changing brands. Where does one get the WTB tires in the Cape? I like what I'm hearing about them, but what is the sidewall protection and support like?

I have had Hans Dampf 2.35 front and 2.25 rear - both Trailstar compound as this was all i could get my hands on at the time. I love the grip, width and size of these tires but damn these things wear fast! I have been using them for about a month and a half, and the rear has probably got about 30% life left. The front is fine wear-wise. Both of them have side knobs which are cracking and tearing. I know a pacestar would've been better at the back, but i'm thinking the front could do with it as well, especially as things will be drier in the Cape from now on... For the price, I am thinking of changing brands. Where does one get the WTB tires in the Cape? I like what I'm hearing about them, but what is the sidewall protection and support like?

Currently running a WTB Vigilante up front and Beeline in the back (IIRC you have a Trance 27.5?)

So far been enjoying them, small sidewall cut on the Beeline (could of happened to any tyre), but a plug sorted that out, no problem.

CWC Tygervalley had a few Vigilantes a while back. I can pick one up for you and bring it past sometime (work in Bellville and live in Hout Bay).

Else I'm sure droo can sort something out for you too.

Currently running a WTB Vigilante up front and Beeline in the back (IIRC you have a Trance 27.5?)

So far been enjoying them, small sidewall cut on the Beeline (could of happened to any tyre), but a plug sorted that out, no problem.

CWC Tygervalley had a few Vigilantes a while back. I can pick one up for you and bring it past sometime (work in Bellville and live in Hout Bay).

Else I'm sure droo can sort something out for you too.

Hey, thanks for the offer. Yes I do have the trance. I spoke to Andrew at Stoke. Will sort something from him, he has a number of options for me to have a look at. I will watch how the HD on the front holds up, and replace the rear with something harder wearing. Thanks for the offer re picking one up for me!

My biggest issue with the HD is the cost: best part of R700 bucks for something that wears that quick is eina (although i realise that i chose the wrong compound for the rear tire)! The pacestar schwalbe may fix this. From what i can gather, a similar AM tire from most manufacturers like Maxxis, Conti, will set me back much the same, and availablity can be an issue with Maxxis (was looking into ardent/high roller 2). Sidewall protection from cuts is pretty important to me, as i'ma heavy buggar, and spent money on wheelsets etc which let me run the low pressures my lighter brethren get to enjoy :whistling:

Edited by Big John

Hey, thanks for the offer. Yes I do have the trance. I spoke to Andrew at Stoke. Will sort something from him, he has a number of options for me to have a look at. I will watch how the HD on the front holds up, and replace the rear with something harder wearing. Thanks for the offer re picking one up for me!

My biggest issue with the HD is the cost: best part of R700 bucks for something that wears that quick is eina (although i realise that i chose the wrong compound for the rear tire)! The pacestar schwalbe may fix this. From what i can gather, a similar AM tire from most manufacturers like Maxxis, Conti, will set me back much the same, and availablity can be an issue with Maxxis (was looking into ardent/high roller 2). Sidewall protection from cuts is pretty important to me, as i'ma heavy buggar, and spent money on wheelsets etc which let me run the low pressures my lighter brethren get to enjoy :whistling:

I bet you we're probably in the same weight category.

How do the muddy Mary's wear? Who stocks them and the cost?

Can't comment on the wear but evobikes have them. Seems all of the schwalbe tires are R695, regardless of compound, thickness etc.

Guest Omega Man

Fast.

Checked some out in lbs.....the rubber is even softer and stickier than high end rock climbing shoes! I reckon they will be awesome on the trail but wont make high milage.

I have been running WTB EDIT Wolverines 2.25s on my Trance F+R and can possibly say that the front one was largely responsible for my separated AC.

Under pretty heavy load, on the brakes, and trying to set up for a turn, the tire rolled off, depositing me hard on my shoulder.

I run 2.0bars in the front but the rim is a standard SX-C2 which is a bit narrow.

Edited by nolipoli

I have been running WTB Werwolf's 2.25s on my Trance F+R and can possibly say that the front one was largely responsible for my separated AC.

Under pretty heavy load, on the brakes, and trying to set up for a turn, the tire rolled off, depositing me hard on my shoulder.

I run 2.0bars in the front but the rim is a standard SX-C2 which is a bit narrow.

That'll be why it happened. 

On my old Alex rims the Weirwolf was very floppy. On my wider Spanks - far less so. 

I have been running WTB Werwolf's 2.25s on my Trance F+R and can possibly say that the front one was largely responsible for my separated AC.

Nothing leaves skidmarks like a tire rolling off the rim (and I'm not talking about the skiddies on the trail).... Unlucky man. Hope it's better soon. Apologies for something slightly off topic but I reckon you're better off with a broken collarbone than muscular/ligament/tendon issues - GF baled while running and after plates, screws etc were installed (and torqued correctly no doubt[emoji1]), she was using it again within 2 weeks, 2 months later it feels hundreds... Just make sure you do those boring exercises they give you... Have had similar issues from rugby and didn't complete treatment properly = issues to this day.

In my experience, the sidewall protection and stability offered by Schwalbe is The Bar. Dont fancy the HDs much, but love the Muddy Mary, Magic Mary, and Rock Razor. Recently, been testing a Maxxis High Roller II, 3C Maxxterra, EXO casing.

I haven't had good fortune when it comes to maxxis and sidewall tears,and it was more expensive than the Magic Mary, but so far, this HRII is holding up nicely. Excellent grip and rolls really quick. One thing i dont like is the sidewall buckling when hammering corners hard: you can feel the tyre roll over.

I also managed to massively burp the tyre, despite the fact its supposed to be TLR, and affixed to UST rim (Mavic EN821). lost all the sealant, but at least the tyre didn't blow off. I'll count myself fortunate there.

But that was just one such major burping, and other than the floppy sidewalls, its pretty good. Tyre wear seems pretty good as well (just about 2.5 months of riding it on all sorts of terrain).

So maybe worth consideration as a replacement tyre,if you can get it cheaper.

Nothing worse than a floppy tire in the middle of a corner or when some walker comes strolling round a blind bend on the inside lane and you have to jump on the brakes and the front tire just flops over, shattered nerves and the aunty still wants to smack you a shot..