AM tyres... what you running?

patches

Oh, just a quick update on my opinion on HDs.

I used to run a 2.35 Pacestar HD in the front (yes I know) with a Rocket Ron 2.25 in the back. The Pacestar has now been moved to the back and a new 2.35 Trailstar HD slapped onto the front.

So far, it really does feel much better behaved. I've only done one dry & dusty ride with it, but most of the Pacestar's sketchiness seems missing. So far so good...

Ha, that's exactly what I have just done. My rear is now a HD SG 2.35 and it looks massive on the rear flow rim while the snakeskin trailstar 2.35 on a slightly narrower DT rim looks a bit skinny - grip is good though and bike feels a lot more plush out back with that big boy...

• Replies 2.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Ha, that's exactly what I have just done. My rear is now a HD SG 2.35 and it looks massive on the rear flow rim while the snakeskin trailstar 2.35 on a slightly narrower DT rim looks a bit skinny - grip is good though and bike feels a lot more plush out back with that big boy...

Pics??

So I have ridden the HD trailsar as a front tyre for about 100km, if that. It certainly has grip is truck loads, but I can already see the side knobs attempting to part company with the casing... Not falling off yet, but durability seems way less than teh SG version that is still doing duty on the rear...

So I have ridden the HD trailsar as a front tyre for about 100km, if that. It certainly has grip is truck loads, but I can already see the side knobs attempting to part company with the casing... Not falling off yet, but durability seems way less than teh SG version that is still doing duty on the rear...

Not able to get the Ibex 2.4 for 26 inch locally in SA, the MMary too. So i was considering the HD. Well, your above statement just put me off completely. 

Seems WTB also stopped manufacturing 26inch Vigilante tyres as well.

Not able to get the Ibex 2.4 for 26 inch locally in SA, the MMary too. So i was considering the HD. Well, your above statement just put me off completely. 

Seems WTB also stopped manufacturing 26inch Vigilante tyres as well.

The HD are pretty well known for that issue, they tend to tear but not come off completely as far as I can see. To a lesser degree I am having the same thing with my Muddy Mary.

The HD are pretty well known for that issue, they tend to tear but not come off completely as far as I can see. To a lesser degree I am having the same thing with my Muddy Mary.

so does that mean that one should rather stay away from the HD? Seeing that it is so common, the chances of it happening on any HD is more than 70% or so?

Which tyre would be the next "go to" tyre. Bronson maybe? Seeing that 26inch options in SA is so limited. Can a Bronson even be compared to a HD? In price yes.... HD @R499(easybike) and Bronson@R695(stoke).

so does that mean that one should rather stay away from the HD? Seeing that it is so common, the chances of it happening on any HD is more than 70% or so?

Which tyre would be the next "go to" tyre. Bronson maybe? Seeing that 26inch options in SA is so limited. Can a Bronson even be compared to a HD? In price yes.... HD @R499(easybike) and Bronson@R695(stoke).

I would be happy enough with the HD on the rear with the MM up front.

Check with Capricorn - I think he ran that combo.

Currently I have the Muddy Mary up front with a WTB Weirwolf on the rear. Works quite well for me.

I've sworn off the MM and HD now. Both of them suffer from dodgy side knobs that want to come off. For summer I'll be back to a Specialized Purgatory at the rear, and possibly a Specialized Butcher in front.

Go for the maxxis minion. Very good tire, and doesn't suffer from the same side know deterioration as the tacky schwalbe.

That's what I'm going to go to after I finish with the muddy at the front.

I've sworn off the MM and HD now. Both of them suffer from dodgy side knobs that want to come off. For summer I'll be back to a Specialized Purgatory at the rear, and possibly a Specialized Butcher in front.

I've slammed the schwalbe tyres myself for that very reason: knob tear offs. Each year seems to be bring improvements where it concerns durability. 2014 tyres definitely wearing better than previous year models, so keep that in mind before swearing it off on the experience of others. There's alot of context you need to be aware of before coming to a damning conclusion. One of which is personal riding style.

Let me elaborate:

I've had 2012, 2013, and 2014 Schwalbes, the latter being the best so far in terms of wear. But before I had seen the durability of the 2014 stuff, I decided to expand my choice of rubber, and went with a Maxxis High Roller II EXO maxxterra 3C for rear tyre duty.

Cutting to the chase and my point about riding style, the side knobs on the HR II are pulling off almost exactly the same way as they did on the Schwalbes, within the same time frames too. in fact, i'd say the wear rates are now comparable between the maxxis tyre and the 2013 model schwalbes. So if you a rider that really relies on side knob support during cornering, you going to place tremendous stresses on the side knobs. For schwalbe, notably the super gravity carcasses which offer sidewalls that don't buckle as easily, the sideknobs take an even bigger loading under hard cornering: This automatically increases sideknob wear and higher risk of tearing.

Maxxis in my recent experience, is not immune to this effect. I reckon, very few other tyre brands wont be either.

NB: i'm not referring to brake wear: i'm talking about knobs with almost zero brake wear tearing off at the base where it meets the top cap of the tyre. Ask Muzarrati: he saw it in person. and I thought maxxis would've been better in that regard.

Mayhem touches on something also of often overlooked importance: if a tyre is grippy, as grippy as say the Magic Mary, then you must expect higher wear rates. The mitigation must be tyres with more material (heavier), or higher rebound, ie harder compounds. The latter can however be offset with judicious choice of tyre pressure. 

Edited by Capricorn

I've slammed the schwalbe tyres myself for that very reason: knob tear offs. Each year seems to be bring improvements where it concerns durability. 2014 tyres definitely wearing better than previous year models, so keep that in mind before swearing it off on the experience of others. There's alot of context you need to be aware of before coming to a damning conclusion. One of which is personal riding style.

Let me elaborate:

I've had 2012, 2013, and 2014 Schwalbes, the latter being the best so far in terms of wear. But before I had seen the durability of the 2014 stuff, I decided to expand my choice of rubber, and went with a Maxxis High Roller II EXO maxxterra 3C.

Cutting to the chase and my point about riding style, the side knobs on the HR II are pulling off almost exactly the same way as they did on the Schwalbes, within the same time frames too. in fact, i'd say the wear rates are now comparable between the maxxis tyre and the 2013 model schwalbes.

NB: i'm not referring to brake wear: i'm talking about knobs with almost zero brake wear tearing off at the base where it meets the top cap of the tyre. Ask Muzarrati: he saw it in person. and I thought maxxis would've been better in that regard.

Dammit. Just kyboshed my thoughts.

Though I must admit that I was a fair bit slower when I had my minions

I decided to expand my choice of rubber, and went with a Maxxis High Roller II EXO maxxterra 3C for rear tyre duty.

Cutting to the chase and my point about riding style, the side knobs on the HR II are pulling off almost exactly the same way as they did on the Schwalbe

did you have the HR II on the front yet? Would the same happen if the tyre was up front?

The HD knob tear issue, is it isolated to occurring on the rear, or does it happen on the front too?

Bronson on the front anyone? (No vigilante in 26)

Edited by TAAHIRWP

My fav setup is Maxxis Minion DHF UST 2.5 Front, Maxxis High Roller UST 2.35 Rear. Best grip ive had so far.

Schwalbes  wears out to quickly and I keep destroying the sidewalls in rock gardens.

Tried Nevegals too, but nearly killed myself. On my setup, there is way less grip to what I am used to with my Maxxis tyres. 

My only problem with the Maxxis is that I tear the knobs off, but in general, the rolling resistance aren't half bad, grips like a mofo, and have crazy control in drifts.

where can one buy Minions or HR locally?

If you can find out, let the rest of us know...I have to import from CRC