AM tyres... what you running?

patches

A classic! Always considered the Minion as genesis for modern mountain bike tyres.

The 'koek drukkertjie' all the other grip intended designs came from. 

First, the Minion was the tyre that all riders sponsored by other brands would put on their bikes and then blank out the logo. Then it was the Magic Mary. Now, the playing field is a bit more level, but they (Minion & Magic) are still the Sharpie-Tyres. 

• 1 month later...
  • Replies 2.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Ok which one a Magic Mary or Minion DHF for a front?

Magic gets my vote. 

tempted to try the new 2.5WT version of the DHF, but it's gonna have to be pretty darn bitchin to beat the Magic. 

There's a reason they were both the Sharpie tyre of the DH world. First, the Minions were being blacked out so as not to piss off sponsors whose tyres weren't being used, and then later it was the Magic that had that crown. 

Edited by Myles Mayhew

Magic gets my vote. 

tempted to try the new 2.5WT version of the DHF, but it's gonna have to be pretty darn bitchin to beat the Magic. 

There's a reason they were both the Sharpie tyre of the DH world. First, the Minions were being blacked out so as not to piss off sponsors whose tyres weren't being used, and then later it was the Magic that had that crown. 

Bud, from my observations, the Minion DHF is ruling the roost on the WC circuit.

I wonder what Gwin won the WC overall on last year. Hmmm. :whistling:

Bud, from my observations, the Minion DHF is ruling the roost on the WC circuit.

I wonder what Gwin won the WC overall on last year. Hmmm. :whistling:

Maxxis is afaik more of a headline tyre sponsor and the minion is a good tyre so I doubt those sponsored by maxxis would opt for a sharpie Mary. It's more on those who are sponsored by others (non maxxis schwalbe) that do the sharpie shuffle.

But ja. Both great tyres.

Oh. He won on the ibexion I think. ????

Edited by Myles Mayhew

I would like to try a Mary. I have tried  minion, hi roller, de kaiser projekt ibex and Hans dampf.

I just dont like the feel of the maxxis, kinda feels drifty. Probably due to soft knobs and prefer them on the rear - thats just me.

De kaiser for me is an awesome tyre, plenty of grip, blows up nice and big and knobs are solid

Hans Dampf is nice, they love sand and offers up plenty of grip. However the 2,35 is not as big as claimed. However it is a tall tyre.

Ibex is my second favourite at the moment. Performs better upfront than the maxxis but they are fairly similar.

Thats me an avg, probably below avg rider riding trails like contermans, paarl, tokai, helderberg, eden, gspot and Jonkers. I would buy the de kaiser in a flash if i see them for a good price. 

Still would like the try the Mary, almost bought the bike park version until I realised how short the knobs are.

I would like to try a Mary. I have tried  minion, hi roller, de kaiser projekt ibex and Hans dampf.

I just dont like the feel of the maxxis, kinda feels drifty. Probably due to soft knobs and prefer them on the rear - thats just me.

De kaiser for me is an awesome tyre, plenty of grip, blows up nice and big and knobs are solid

Hans Dampf is nice, they love sand and offers up plenty of grip. However the 2,35 is not as big as claimed. However it is a tall tyre.

Ibex is my second favourite at the moment. Performs better upfront than the maxxis but they are fairly similar.

Thats me an avg, probably below avg rider riding trails like contermans, paarl, tokai, helderberg, eden, gspot and Jonkers. I would buy the de kaiser in a flash if i see them for a good price. 

Still would like the try the Mary, almost bought the bike park version until I realised how short the knobs are.

I'm trying to run down my Der Baron so that I can justify buying a Der Kaizer. They seem to be better suited to loose over hardpack than the Baron. With summer approaching here in the Northern Hemisphere, I want a dry(ish) conditions tyre.

I would like to try a Mary. I have tried minion, hi roller, de kaiser projekt ibex and Hans dampf.

Do NOT buy the bike park version. Trailstar all the way.

Do NOT buy the bike park version. Trailstar all the way.

Naa, I didnt. I bought the wtb trail boss instead for the hardtail build.

Now that winter is coming anyone got a good recommendation to replace my slaughter until next spring? I've got a spare ardent race in the shed. Heck should I even bother replacing it? Just rock it year round with the ibex up front and get a bit loose in the damp.

Now that winter is coming anyone got a good recommendation to replace my slaughter until next spring? I've got a spare ardent race in the shed. Heck should I even bother replacing it? Just rock it year round with the ibex up front and get a bit loose in the damp.

That's what I'm gonna be doing. Be careful with that ibex on roots though. Maybe ibex to the rear and citius or Mary or dhf on the front. Ibex makes a great rear tyre

Edited by Myles Mayhew

Slight highjack. 

Has anybody tried the Maxxis Shorty?

The official description is "A mid-spike for loose or slightly muddy conditions; more versatile than the WetScream". I would like to know if it will be suitable for dryer conditions as well.

Going to run Minion DHF with DD casing 2.3" front and Ground Control Grid 2.3" out back for the wet season.

Loved the Butcher / Slaughter combo, but with both in control casing the rear got too squishy so I have to run impractical pressures to prevent squirly landings.

Minion DHF 2.5. It's the real O.G.

+1 on the 2.5 DHFs. I was a bit indifferent at first, as I only bought it because it was on special along with the 2.4 DHR2 that I needed. But now I'm loving it. I really feel slower on it, but Strava says otherwise. I guess there is less 'on the edge' feeling and more how much more can I push with them.