AM tyres... what you running?

patches

• Replies 2.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

does anyone know anything about the conti protection casing? all i really care about is that it doesnt get punctures

dont tell me to "buy this schwalbe" or whatever, i already ordered them, just wondering what i bought before they arrive

my experience with the conti protections was not great. When I set them up tubeless, it seriously looked like someone had pricked them a 1000 times with a needle. Air bubbles everywhere. They did settle down after a day but never held pressure properly.

I got mavic crossmax on the back......great tyre. Got crossroc on the front, will change that out( find it a bit washy up front)

my experience with the conti protections was not great. When I set them up tubeless, it seriously looked like someone had pricked them a 1000 times with a needle. Air bubbles everywhere. They did settle down after a day but never held pressure properly.

went for my first ride with them today, things arent looking promising, the xking seems really against holding pressure, luckily for me the dude with the needle got bored after about 15 pokes, and the bottle of the cheap rhino stans stuff i emptied into there doesn't seem to be doing its job very well

the mountain king is doing fine though.

grip wise they are nothing special, the xking is more grippy than the rock razor i had on there, and the mountain king seems very similar to the hans damph i was running at the front, although its much better under brakes, at least thats the impression im getting out of it, either that or the bubbles in my brakes are now the perfect size to give my slx's avid levels of modulation.

Greetings guys!

I am hoping to get some advice... Currently I am running older model Continental MountainKing 2.4's on my 26" AM bike. They came standard on the bike and work quite well but sadly they have zero sidewall reinforcement and after a mere 400km have developed scrapes where the canvas is starting to show... Hence why it is time for an upgrade. (Also they leak sealant from the sidewall...have actually ended up half coating the outer wall with rubber glue from tubeless patch kits as well as mixing tube sealant in with the Stans just to get the damn things to seal, it works very well now but still cant hold pressure)

I was originally eyeing a set of Minion DHR 2.5's but sadly there is no stock, even spoke to the suppliers.

So I decided to give the Trailhead a call and spoke to a really awesome guy there (Cant remember his name) and he recommended the following:

Onza ibex 2.25 front

Onza Canis 2.25 rear

What I would like to know is 1) if anyone here is using these and what the grip is like?

2)how is the sidewall protection and do the seal properly?

3) How would this hold up at a place like Hakahana? (I know its quite brutal on tyres there)

I am a big fan of the wider tyres so I am a bit hesitant going narrower on my bike... Advice would be greatly appreciated

Greetings guys!

I am hoping to get some advice... Currently I am running older model Continental MountainKing 2.4's on my 26" AM bike. They came standard on the bike and work quite well but sadly they have zero sidewall reinforcement and after a mere 400km have developed scrapes where the canvas is starting to show... Hence why it is time for an upgrade. (Also they leak sealant from the sidewall...have actually ended up half coating the outer wall with rubber glue from tubeless patch kits as well as mixing tube sealant in with the Stans just to get the damn things to seal, it works very well now but still cant hold pressure)

I was originally eyeing a set of Minion DHR 2.5's but sadly there is no stock, even spoke to the suppliers.

So I decided to give the Trailhead a call and spoke to a really awesome guy there (Cant remember his name) and he recommended the following:

Onza ibex 2.25 front

Onza Canis 2.25 rear

What I would like to know is 1) if anyone here is using these and what the grip is like?

2)how is the sidewall protection and do the seal properly?

3) How would this hold up at a place like Hakahana? (I know its quite brutal on tyres there)

I am a big fan of the wider tyres so I am a bit hesitant going narrower on my bike... Advice would be greatly appreciated

Probably Jason...

Very good combo, that. I'm running the Ibex at the front of my reign, and used the combo on my hardtail. They're far better sidewall wise than the Contis, but not as strong as the Schwalbe Super Gravity Carcass. But then, nothing is, so that's not really a fair comparison.

I'd say that they're a little stronger than the Snakeskin sidewalls on Schwalbe, and so far they're not leaking anything. Really easy to set up tubeless as well. 

Go for it - it's my 2nd choice combo behind Magic Mary & Rock Razor. 

Edited by Myles Mayhew

Probably Jason...

Very good combo, that. I'm running the Ibex at the front of my reign, and used the combo on my hardtail. They're far better sidewall wise than the Contis, but not as strong as the Schwalbe Super Gravity Carcass. But then, nothing is, so that's not really a fair comparison.

I'd say that they're a little stronger than the Snakeskin sidewalls on Schwalbe, and so far they're not leaking anything. Really easy to set up tubeless as well. 

Go for it - it's my 2nd choice combo behind Magic Mary & Rock Razor. 

Thanks for the advice!

Those Magic Mary and Rock Razor tyres are a mean looking combo!

Wonder if they would be able to source those in 26".... if they can I would be glad to have another option to weigh up. 

Have the same issue with the regular ones too. Pump it up at night and then flat by morning.

My LBS had a clever and mixed regular slime tube goo in with the stans and it seemed to do the trick quite well. Went from many to only one or two pin pricks showing and those I just added a layer of rubber glue (as I got with my tubeless repair kit) and that fixed the issue... but now I am paranoid and check the pressure just before riding and it seems to be holding much better. No more flats and sealant all over the floor

I'm currently having a wheelset built up and have already bought the canis and ibex combo to go onto that.

Just from what I can see, the onza tyre sidewalls are WAY thicker than the conti mountain kings I have. Sliced the sidewall of a mountain king at hakahana with only around 50kms on it :( Its now running a gaiter and tube. Very soft sidewalls.

I'm currently having a wheelset built up and have already bought the canis and ibex combo to go onto that.

Just from what I can see, the onza tyre sidewalls are WAY thicker than the conti mountain kings I have. Sliced the sidewall of a mountain king at hakahana with only around 50kms on it :( Its now running a gaiter and tube. Very soft sidewalls.

Where on the tyre and how big is the cut? Even me I can fix it...

Where on the tyre and how big is the cut? Even me I can fix it...

Would it be a trade secret or may we ask how you would fix it.... Coz now I am very curious

Thanks for the advice!

Those Magic Mary and Rock Razor tyres are a mean looking combo!

Wonder if they would be able to source those in 26".... if they can I would be glad to have another option to weigh up. 

http://www.evobikes.co.za/tyres/mtb-26-tyres/schwalbe-rock-razor-evo-pacestar-ss-tlr-26-x-2-35.html

&

http://www.evobikes.co.za/tyres/mtb-26-tyres/schwalbe-magic-mary-sg-trailstar-ss-26-x-2-35-tl.html

What a Rockstar! Thanks! Quite like the look of those... Will also give the LBS and Trailhead a shout and hear what they charge... much appreciated!

The Ibex & Canis combo is a good one, don't worry.