AM tyres... what you running?

patches

Looks wicked the way the rims pop with that frame colour... Love the shock factor! I agree with Eddy Gordo... Some shocking yellow grips would add to the look of the bike!

PROPER!!! The tyres look kwaad man!

• Replies 2.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Morning, quick questions. What tyre to put in the front, Specialized ground control or a purgatory control.

Morning, quick questions. What tyre to put in the front, Specialized ground control or a purgatory control.

had both on the front before and trusted the purgatory far more.

Got my Butcher Grid casing to go with my Slaugher Grid,now got to wait for winter to get here because the slaughter does not like to much water.

Thanks Robodog!I was deciding last night what option to go for and I made up my mind for the Onza setup.

I tried calling you guys yesterday but there was an issue with the lines coz I couldn't get through at all. We are hopefully riding that side this coming Saturday so I would like to bring the bike past then (if all goes to plan).

And just another thank you for the chat on the phone the other day, you were amazingly helpful. And that is so rare these days! Just based on that one call I have already told all my 26" riding buddies to go straight to you guys!

I only wish you guys were closer to me... I would end up being a fixture there!

That's awesome to hear. Sorry for the lack of comms dude. Fibre line was down and our phones are VOIP. Enjoy the new boots!

That's awesome to hear. Sorry for the lack of comms dude. Fibre line was down and our phones are VOIP. Enjoy the new boots!

No stress man. Just sorting out a few things. Will give you call soon to set a time to bring in the bike for those tyres! Chat Soon!

No stress man. Just sorting out a few things. Will give you call soon to set a time to bring in the bike for those tyres! Chat Soon!

I got the impression that you may have picked them up on my day off on Sunday. Cool, whenever suits will sort it out for you.

• 3 weeks later...

I got the impression that you may have picked them up on my day off on Sunday. Cool, whenever suits will sort it out for you.

A massive THANK YOU to you, Robodog and the team at The Trail Head.

Stopped in there yesterday to get my Onza's fitted and the guys there were beyond helpful! Decided to go with Ibex all round. Apologies again for these infernal rims giving you so much hell!

Tested the setup last night and it was the perfect night for a test, had mud, gravel, stones, rocky bits and the ever horrid loose powder dust on hard pack... these tyres just stuck to everything. Can feel i am not used to that level of grip!

Cant wait to tackle Haka on them!

Stopped in there yesterday to get my Onza's fitted and the guys there were beyond helpful! Decided to go with Ibex all round. Apologies again for these infernal rims giving you so much hell!

Tested the setup last night and it was the perfect night for a test, had mud, gravel, stones, rocky bits and the ever horrid loose powder dust on hard pack... these tyres just stuck to everything. Can feel i am not used to that level of grip!

That's great to hear dude.

Your "Infernal" rims gave us a chance to chat for quite a while. At least we got them seated. :P

now start experimenting with pressures, especially on the front. You'll find that even a 1psi difference can make a mahoooosive difference in the way a bike performs. Which is also why I'm such  big wide rim convert... 

I must agree on the Onza tyres, My Canis/Ibex mix is pretty darn good, I had a massive 2 wheel drift on Sunday and didnt see my a$$ :) Came flying around the single track and straight into a patch of dry grass clippings on the trail resulting in one unintentional roost of note. I have no doubt that the tyres saved me from ditching it.

I weight 105kg and am currently running both back and front at 1.8bar, I'll start playing around with reducing the pressures to see what works/feels best.

That's great to hear dude.

Your "Infernal" rims gave us a chance to chat for quite a while. At least we got them seated. :P

And time for breakfast! But it was an awesome chat!

Looking forward to my next visit there....and really hitting those jump lines with meaning!

now start experimenting with pressures, especially on the front. You'll find that even a 1psi difference can make a mahoooosive difference in the way a bike performs. Which is also why I'm such  big wide rim convert... 

Well I ran 1.8bar rear and 1.6bar front last night and had grip for days...even when running wide into the damp grass...well not running wide, more like running tight? not used to the grip levels so when i turn in i end up turning too much and ending up in the grass... made for a few funny and crudely worded reactions!

Going to drop it a little for tonight's ride and see how that feels.... I weigh around 65kg depending on the effect my morning coffee had :ph34r:

• 1 month later...

So guys I'm mixing up my tyre combo this winter. After running a 2.4 Ibex DH up front and WTB Wolverine 2.2 on the back, I've changed to a Maxxis Minion 2.5 DHF 3c up front and a Hans Dampf 2.35 Evo Trailstar on the back.

I havnt really tested the HD yet but I must say that the minion is amazing! The Ibex was really good but I didn't expect the Minion to be that much better but it really is!

What is the general concensus on the HD? Will it compliment the awesomeness of the Minion in the upcoming winter months?

Edited by Devon Mans

So guys I'm mixing up my tyre combo this winter. After running a 2.4 Ibex DH up front and WTB Wolverine 2.2 on the back, I've changed to a Maxxis Minion 2.5 DHF 3c up front and a Hans Dampf 2.35 Evo Trailstar on the back.

I havnt really tested the HD yet but I must say that the minion is amazing! The Ibex was really good but I didn't expect the Minion to be that much better but it really is!

What is the general concensus on the HD? Will it compliment the awesomeness of the Minion in the upcoming winter months?

very draggy on the ups, but GRIPPY AS FECK on the back as well...