Help me decide!

Clinton1

I tend to not take note of usernames when arguing so I carry no chips on my shoulder. Besides I also like to leave past disagreements in the threads in which they belonged :)

:thumbup:

Shoes are definitely the toughest part. Most of the bargains are online but they really need to be tried on as you say. And even the until you get out onto those wet rocks you really do not know what to expect.

The wet rocks are the problem. If you tend to do a bit of walking, rather look at the rubber type soles. I found that the Olympics were more of a hard plastic type of material with NO grip when walking across rocky streams/rivers. My next pair will be takkie type shoes.

Good Luck.

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I had the old Spez takkie type spd shoes. LOVED them. Had them for 6/7 years, and only binned them because they were tatty as all hell and the sole eventually delaminated. That's a loooong time to own a pair of shoes, I'm sure you'll agree.

I now have a pair of Adidas carbon soled MTB shoes. Nowhere near as comfortable, and nowhere near as versatile. They're stiffer than anything else I know, but they work.

If I did it all again, I'd go for the spez shoes again.

Saying that, Olympic shoes are also very comfortable.

Cover ur kop at sparing no costs !

u won't regret it !

:whistling:

if u going cleats u have to invest in something comfortable and durable !

Well.... two less things to decide on! Thanks and I'll be sure to come back here and moan at you all if I end up regretting this :D

gallery_28653_1046_79733.jpg

Well.... two less things to decide on! Thanks and I'll be sure to come back here and moan at you all if I end up regretting this :D

Sue!

Edited by The Crow

gallery_28653_1046_79733.jpg

Don't forget to come back and tell us we were right :whistling:

Man those are nice boots!

Thanks man.

Sue!

Definitely! $25,000 which is the going rate for the life of a 40 year old apparently! :)

Now to work out how to put it all together! ha ha. How do I decide which position to tighten the cleats in and more importantly whether to out them in the front or rear holes provided? :blush:

You shouldn't be regretting this purchase. Spez shoes are that good.

I suppose I am lucky (or is that unlucky) in that I really have nothing to compare them to. I'm hoping they will be better than my Salomon takkies... ;)

Now to work out how to put it all together! ha ha. How do I decide which position to tighten the cleats in and more importantly whether to out them in the front or rear holes provided? :blush:

As a guideline

1. Your feet must be straight

2. Ball of your feet over the axle of the pedal

http://sgmtb.files.wordpress.com/2011/11/p4pb7337683.jpg?w=480

Have a read here:

http://sgmtb.wordpress.com/2011/11/02/tips-on-installing-and-adjusting-pedal-cleats/

Edited by The Crow

Olympic shoes are cheap and last for just about ever, if you have broad feet then they are also rather nice.

Helmet ... get a decent one, Bell offer a Slant for about the R600 mark and they have a great crash replacement policy.

Cleats ... Shimano 520's are cheap and real work horse pedals that last. They are not expensive and you can get good deals on the Hub or places like CWC.

+1 to all the above. I have been mountain biking regularly for a year now and I must say this is the best value for money stuff out there. My Bell Slant is comfortable, well ventilated and is easy to mount a headlamp to (if you're so inclined). I have a pair of Olympics which are super rugged and comfortable (got them from Sportsmans as a gift, so unsure of the price) and my Shimano pedals are ultra reliable as well (except the once they let my left foot slip out and connect my knee to the handlebar - not cool.

Cant really go wrong with those items I don't think.

And also be prepared to fall over in your driveway, in the carpark, in front of the coffee shop....just about everywhere you need to slow down. After five years I still fall in the driveway every few months.... :unsure:

Have you ridden with cleats and SPD pedals before? Its best to practise on a grassy field :thumbup:

And also be prepared to fall over in your driveway, in the carpark, in front of the coffee shop....just about everywhere you need to slow down. After five years I still fall in the driveway every few months.... :unsure:

Nah man! Heading to Giba to take on the Blue trail..... ha ha, just kidding, I'm eyeing out the grass field next door as we speak. Will be heading out there as soon as the cleats and pedals are in position.

Edited by Clint_ZA

Several trips up and down the long driveway and about 6 unclips on each trip safely negotiated.... rode through the front door and almost wiped out as my pedal hit a kids toy and as I lost balance my foot did not go down as it should! :)

Let's get out there and see what happens when that happens on the trails :D