Best Chain lube for MTB

Pieterg

Yeah I like Squirt too... The trick is to apply, then wipe the excess. If you don't, it gunks up but that's not the product, that's user error. I clean and relube every 100kms or so so it's not too bad...

• Replies 266
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Reading Some of these Posts, I’m seeing a bit of a trend for over cleaning the drivetrain.

If you are degreasing your chain after every ride, I’m pretty sure you will be shortening the lifespan of your chain significantly.

One of the most important jobs the lube needs to do, is get inbetween the pins in the chain and keep them lubed up, that’s where the major friction forces are. Excessive degreasing and then only apply surface lube is definately not the way.

If you apply a wax based “dry lube” correctly, you should be able to get 100+ km before needing to just do a wipe down/degunking and then re-apply.

If you degrease your chain you need to rinse well then put it in the oven at 80deg till all the water has evaporated from inside, then most important you need to do a submersion oil or wax treatment. Drippy drops after a degreasing wont get into the chain where it counts most

Edited by Maaknplan

• 2 weeks later...

Best I have found yet is the Wurth spray chain lube. Lubricates really well and the chain stays really pretty clean. You only spray it on the rollers. But not readily available at most places unfortunately. Squirt, MaxWax etc are all good. But I prefer the Wurth because it doesn't make thinks gunky and the dust etc doesn't stick to the chain.

Edited by MudLark

Although it turns your chain into a tattoo artist, Rohloff oil still the best lubes I have ever used. Anybody know where I can get some. No LBS in my area keep it

Edited by Block

• 3 months later...

If you degrease your chain you need to rinse well then put it in the oven at 80deg till all the water has evaporated from inside, then most important you need to do a submersion oil or wax treatment. Drippy drops after a degreasing wont get into the chain where it counts most

I have overdone the cleaning/degreasing this weekend.  Did a lot of "drippy drops" but realized it is not adequate.  What submersion oil and wax do you recommend

I once had a chain that was very dirty. (I don't de grease anything on a bicycle.)

I put it in an old frying pan with some Magnatec Synthetic and rattled it around a bit.

After an hour or so it came out very very clean and well lubed. Ride was very quiet.

I was very Impressed with the results.

Of course It's not practical to keep taking the chain off the bike.

A disadvantage of using Oil as Opposed to Wax is that the oil does tend to fly out and can contaminate the rim spokes and brakes.

Wax based Lubes will be here forever and if used correctly can achieve full life of the chain and other components of the drive train. The Black stuff you see on the chain actually tells you that you are lubing correctly. It comes out from the steel in the inside of the chain. Clean it off with a Rag and add new lube.

Edited by dasilvarsa

• 2 months later...