What happened to Tokai?

zombie.zerg

Hijack. I was on my way to Tokai about 6pm for someone that had fallen about 1km from tea garden area parking. We were cancelled en route there as the mtbiker had gone with his own transport. Hope the person is ok. Anybody know what happened and why would someone be riding so late or were they just caught out by bad weather.

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

- hijack on.. Could have been coming back down, there were several people on the mountain this eve, a few of them still pottering around at about 530 while I was leaving..

Are you part of a service Super?

TheV, there are generally enough lycra clad ladies in Tokai everyday but particularly on weekdays when the ladies groups ride. V.nice

Hijack, does the OP want to go back to the days of the tilley lamp and such? WTF?

My First exposure to Tokai was only a few months ago so cant comment on what it was like back in the day, but was stoked to see how friendly people were, those that don't greet are just focused on where there front wheel is going and managing their breathing! :mellow: Needless to saw i have been back countless times to enjoy the trails and experience in general!

TheV, there are generally enough lycra clad ladies in Tokai everyday but particularly on weekdays when the ladies groups ride. V.nice

Now to make a plan to do more riding during week days :eek:

zombie.zerg, count your blessings, it's much worse here in Gauteng. Just do a simple search on this site and see how they go at each other when there are congestion at races, baggy vs lycra, moaning about goodie bags, and the list goes on and on.

Even at my local trail @ Groenkloof you get people like you mentioned, riding against the flow of the trail, littering, unfriendly etc. etc. Up here it's a "ME ME ME" mentality, or at least that is how I am experiencing it, BUT there are the friendly and helpful ones also.

I have always heard of Tokai and would love to go ride there one day! I imagine it as something like this? (please correct me if I am wrong)

http://www.pinkbike....tunes-2012.html

Edited by FuelEX

I have always heard of Tokai and would love to go ride there one day! I Imagine it as something like this? (please correct me if I am wrong)

http://www.pinkbike....tunes-2012.html

It's awesome - I did the downhill back when I was at varsity at Stellies. Had such an awesome time. I had no shocks, smooth tyres and a *** bike. Point being, I had an absolute jol. It's beautiful and deadly at the same time... wiped out well and proper a few times. But that didn't stop me from having the time of my life.

Tokai is a striking example of how the sport grew and changed. It is not only Tokai, but everywhere.

I first went there in 2001. Back then the DH run was still forested. You didn't see a lot of people, and there were less trails.

MTB went from fringe sport to main stream. And that is refelcted in the user group.

This has been a blessing and a curse. Some spots have closed down, others have opened. Races became a lot more prevalent on the calender, and we have a bigger range available.

All in all, I think change has been good. I still have a ball when I ride. That hasn't changed.

I've been riding Tokai at least once a week for the past 4 yrs now come rain or shine, sometimes I wear spandex, mostly baggies though. I ABSOLUTELY LOVE IT. Cant get enough.

Yes there are some sour guys on the trails, just ignore them and greet everyone with a smile.