Whats a fair charge for riding a trail?

Mojoman

I went out to a venue in Magalies at the request of the owner to see if it is suitable for mountain biking. I found the riding was not for the unfit (well, at least the totally unfit!) nor technically challenged but was still good fun. The venue offers 4x4 trails over some very rocky and sandy ground. There are also sections that have had some concrete strips added to prevent erosion and this made for some steep climbing. The owner would like to try and do something for mountain bikers but wants to see if there is any demand first.

What do you think is a good price? I have suggested around R30pp. The venue has:

• approx 20km of 4x4 routes, took me around 4hrs (on a hard tail with Crossmark tyres) but you can do different loops etc
  • Lots of steep uphills and downhills, some rideable, some walkable.
  • Rocky terrain and some sandy sections
  • Around 70% is rideable, maybe more for the guys who dual sus bikes and decent tyres
  • Excellent views towards Magalies village and the Magaliesberg
  • Safe and secure, and parking is not an issue
  • Game on the property
  • Venue can also offer accommodation as well as a 'club house' so may also have potential for mountain bike club meets and training camps.

Please let me know so I can give the lady some feedback as I think its a great spot to ride. BUT Its not for the whingers who like smooth, flowing single track though! Its for the guys who dont mind a spot of leg work and rough riding and some sand work, and may even hold some potential for downhillers (although I dont know as I dont know anything about this side of mountain biking)

Edited by Mojoman

R30 seems to be the going rate but to be honest it sucks. R20 is ok and the option of multiple entries is a must to make it around R10 per entry... the cheaper a place is the more I go. I do not like Yearly tickets as then I get bored quickly..

R30 seems to be the going rate but to be honest it sucks. R20 is ok and the option of multiple entries is a must to make it around R10 per entry... the cheaper a place is the more I go. I do not like Yearly tickets as then I get bored quickly..

While I agree R20 would be better I was hoping to push for R30 and have some work done on the route and prehaps have the option of having the clubhouse available with toilets and braai areas?

Or would people prefer R20 just to hit the trails and then go home?

Magalies is such a beach to get to from Jhb.

Have you been to Magalies? Easiest place in the world to get to!

While I agree R20 would be better I was hoping to push for R30 and have some work done on the route and prehaps have the option of having the clubhouse available with toilets and braai areas?

Sit down with your friend and work out a business model.

Obviously there are costs etc associated with running a facility for cyclists.Amortise it over a year and the number of riders expected and arrive at a reasonable charge.

Fees are not sucked out of your thumb as most on here seem to think

Hit trails and then go to another place to eat. Its a mission to chill and start my own braai. So the cheaper the better. Also remember it cost a lot for us to travel there.

No input from anyone?

Riding jeeptrack can be done for free at many many places, and having 20km of track where according to your description 16km might be rideable doesnt appeal to me at all Mojo. There is absolutly no way i would even consider paying anything to go ride 16km of jeeptrack.

Same with when they openend bottelary hills on this side, at first it was 40km of jeeptrack also with stunning views, simply no appeal to ever ride there even though its in my back yard, now that they have made some nice ST sections there is much more appeal, and I am actually willing to pay to go ride there.

Sit down with your friend and work out a business model.

Obviously there are costs etc associated with running a facility for cyclists.Amortise it over a year and the number of riders expected and arrive at a reasonable charge.

Fees are not sucked out of your thumb as most on here seem to think

Agreed, the owner does not know anything about what cyclists want and will need all the input she can get, from all of us.

I for one would like to see some routes open up in Magalies for cyclists, I know the owners of adjacent farms and prehaps with enough interest we may be able to create a decent trail ride in the area in the future.

Riding jeeptrack can be done for free at many many places, and having 20km of track where according to your description 16km might be rideable doesnt appeal to me at all Mojo. There is absolutly no way i would even consider paying anything to go ride 16km of jeeptrack.

Same with when they openend bottelary hills on this side, at first it was 40km of jeeptrack also with stunning views, simply no appeal to ever ride there even though its in my back yard, now that they have made some nice ST sections there is much more appeal, and I am actually willing to pay to go ride there.

And what is the charge here?

..for what is there now, how much maintenance will the place need? This is where they will need justification if ever asked why that price. R30 is not much but if the 4x4's are driving the same trails, I would expect that they should be making a contribution to the upkeep of the MTB trails.. in that case I would say R20, taking into account hassle factor in getting there. The price needs to attract riders too.

If it is to be a success, the trails should have SOME smooth fun sections to get the guys out there.. you know, the promise of good riding..