Torque Wrench

Andymann

I'm busy investigating buying a Torque Wrench which I can use on my Road and MTB. I'm lucky that I work in Engineering, so I can buy direct from the suppliers, saving me a few $$$'s. I one I am looking at has a range of 5N.m up to 30N.m. Question is, is this range sufficient, or are there torque values (such as rear suspension link values) which are more than 30N.m? (I do have a standard Torque Wrench which I use when I work on the Motorbikes, but that starts at 100N.m, so I will be missing the range from 30-100)...

Don't some of the torque settings on a bicycle go as low a 2Nm? I tried the local tool supplier route a while ago but they went from 5-30Nm. I ended up looking at the X-Tools one on CRC (2-24Nm)

If you want to be completely legit, you'll need one that goes from 2-14NM and one that goes from 14 to 50 NM.

You don't get one that covers both ranges.

And, good luck with getting it cheaper from the suppliers. There is no industrial torque wrench that I know of, that goes from 2 to 14, which is what you want for your alu bits and pieces - that costs less than a PRO, BBB or ParkTool one.

A good 14-40NM one is in the thousands of rands..but clever, touchy-feely mechanics don't need one.

CWC list this one for R550 (but no stock right now)

http://www.cwcycles.co.za/sites/default/files/imagecache/250x250sc/product_images/torq.jpg

You will only find the bigger ones in the tool shops

Edited by kosmonooit

oi you said you werent buying any more bits..

Technically, that is not (only) for my bike! I will use it to fix the iron, washing machine and other domestic appliances that require specific torque settings ;)