Add your Noob Questions

The Ghost

• Replies 201
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Ok noob question about the forum: Why does my Avatar disappear and when I try changing it , It says upload unsuccessfull.

On the hopping a full susser story... The more travel you have the more time and effort you are going to need to preload the shock all the way down before you hop. I have seen even advanced riders mess this up when they swop between bikes. Take my one buddy (who can be regarded as expert by most standards) who rode his DH bike everywhere for a while and got used to preloading 180mm of suspension. One day he takes his light XC dual susser and tries to bunny hop up a. pavement. He ended up nearly face planting the pavement.

On the hopping a full susser story... The more travel you have the more time and effort you are going to need to preload the shock all the way down before you hop. I have seen even advanced riders mess this up when they swop between bikes. Take my one buddy (who can be regarded as expert by most standards) who rode his DH bike everywhere for a while and got used to preloading 180mm of suspension. One day he takes his light XC dual susser and tries to bunny hop up a. pavement. He ended up nearly face planting the pavement.

Awesome, glad to hear, i will eventually get used to it and im not just SpEcIaL

:clap:

one (or more) word(s)..............remote lock-out.......problem solved. :thumbup:

one (or more) word(s)..............remote lock-out.......problem solved. :thumbup:

Yes you could do that. However it is far better to learn and get the 'feel' for it so that you have the option to hop something on the trial that comes up unexpectedly. Much better to have these skills than simply locking out the shock.

Bar ends - Rrrr it acceptable to use them on a raiser bar?

Yes, I can does like to know this...

Philistine!

Ah hell... :huh:

I thought everyone was speshil? :o

This loading and unloading becomes quite important in advanced technical riding over a rough trail at speed. Think of it as crouching on the old style bathroom scale and then standing up quickly. You have 'increased' your weight momentarily or on the bike you have loaded (weighted) the bike. Crouching suddenly will unweight. On tech trail you should always be light or heavy. Light just before a corner, heavy as you ride through the corner. Heavy just before a rock, light over the rock... It takes riding to a new level but you should start by learning to wheelie, then manual and then bunny hop.

Greetings fellow hubbers,

Been lurking with intent for several months now.

Now for my noob question, how long should my cassette and chain last?

Some background, I typically ride once a week, about 3 hours at Tokai. I clean my chain and cassette thoroughly once a month (strip, soak, boil, dry), and do a light clean and lube after every ride. I don't use lube, but that oil that comes in aerosol can, swiss stuff I think.

Bike is a 2007/8 GT Avalanche 1.0 running Shimano Deore bits...

Six months after replacing my chain, cluster (and rings), my LBS tells me my chain is worn and needs to be replaced, and it's probably a good idea to fit a new cassette at the same time.

Surely, those parts can't last such a short time?

I've had no problems with gear change etc in the last months. I'm also a conscientious shifter - try not to change under load etc.

I'd be interested to know what sort of life span other okes get from these components.

Cheers.

How do I become a pro and do I need a couch ?

Also what type of couch ?

Do I need a helmut with or without a pick ?

Can I get a 160 mm. travel soft-tail ?

Do I need a single speed ?

I want to do a 24 hour race, what do I need to eat, do I need lites if I want to win it ?

Should my rear break be on the left or the rite ?

Disclaimer:

*their happens 2 b know spellieng or grammaticul errirs hear, it's all a phigment of joar imaginashun*

Some background, I typically ride once a week, about 3 hours at Tokai. I clean my chain and cassette thoroughly once a month (strip, soak, boil, dry), and do a light clean and lube after every ride. I don't use lube, but that oil that comes in aerosol can, swiss stuff I think.

Six months after replacing my chain, cluster (and rings), my LBS tells me my chain is worn and needs to be replaced, and it's probably a good idea to fit a new cassette at the same time.

I've had no problems with gear change etc in the last months. I'm also a conscientious shifter - try not to change under load etc.

I'd be interested to know what sort of life span other okes get from these components.

Cheers.

Maybe start here, hope it helps?

https://community.bikehub.co.za/topic/109516-the-great-chaincassettegears-thread/

Cheers.

I'd say get a new LBS...

Maybe start here, hope it helps?

http://www.thehubsa....tegears-thread/

Ja, thanks, I did read through that thread and also Mr Bornman's doccie on bicycle chains - excellent stuff. I guess what I'm looking is an idea of 'fair use'. But given all the variables in play, perhaps that's an impossible question to answer...

How do I become a pro and do I need a couch ? Boet we all know you are a pro ( a "pro" what though is the queschun??) & a couch or lazy boy.

Also what type of couch ? A comfy one

Do I need a helmut with or without a pick ? Depends on how good your Oke-lees work

Can I get a 160 mm. travel soft-tail ? Ya but thats a very short distance to travel?? try for one that goes a bit further

Do I need a single speed ? Ya but the faster the better

I want to do a 24 hour race, what do I need to eat, do I need lites if I want to win it ? Lots of KFC & Castle lites will make you win

Should my rear break be on the left or the rite ? Only if you are ambidextrous

Disclaimer:

*their happens 2 b know spellieng or grammaticul errirs hear, it's all a phigment of joar imaginashun*

Oh & welcome back

How do I become a pro and do I need a couch ?

You go to a 'Nigerian' corner, ask for performance enhancing drugs and change your surname to Armstrong. Get a stormtrooper suit in spandex and start a new trend while you're at it!

Also what type of couch ?

Your couch should be a comfy chap. He should pick you up and support you when WADA wants you to pee in a bottle so they can check how much of a lab rat you are! Scratch the Armstrong thing if he's not able to support you as you will then be a professional bottle pee'r!

Do I need a helmut with or without a pick ?

You only need a helmet when you're not wearing your storm trooper spandex suit.

Can I get a 160 mm. travel soft-tail ?

Yes, but then you're walking up mountains and mountain men on bikes don't like storm trooper spandex types.

Do I need a single speed ?

Yes, hyperspeed!

I want to do a 24 hour race, what do I need to eat, do I need lites if I want to win it ?

You can practise the event for 24 hours before it happens and still win it, IF you're wearing your storm trooper spandex suit sans lites!

Should my rear break be on the left or the rite ?

Save both your hands and attach it to your forehead. When you want to slow down you just headbutt the handlebars. You will win plenty like this and be ahead of the next step in bicycle advancements!

Disclaimer:

eeets oraait, wee'r sstil wheyting four ah Caaappie st-aile spel czek tooe!

Oh Welcome back ekse!

Edited by Tubehunter