Introducing PowerCal a new kind of Power Meter

Introducing CycleOps PowerCal, the worlds’ first-ever power meter calculated from heart rate. For years there has been a widely recognized correlation between power and heart rate. In a lab one can predict power output or intensity by knowing heart rate, and vice versa. But once you leave the lab and enter variables such as hills, wind and fatigue, the relationship gets a bit trickier. This is why many cyclists and triathletes use both a heart rate monitor and a power meter in training.

Through the use of these tools and the analysis of tens of thousands of power files over the years, the experts at CycleOps and the University of Colorado Boulder have identified patterns which can correlate an athlete’s heart rate to power across all real world conditions. We’ve utilized this knowledge to create a technology which provides power based on this correlation; in the real world and in real time.

No, it’s not as precise as our PowerTap. Yes, it’s a great tool, is incredibly easy to use, and is compatible with any existing ANT+ compatible display. Simply pair it to your display, and off you go!

We’re all familiar with the key difference between a power meter and a HR monitor: that HR is a response to the work you’re doing, whereas power is the actual work.The algorithms in PowerCaltranslate heart rate data into the vernacular of power-based training- watts, kilojoules, peak power, etc.

And at an approximate cost of R1000, it could be one of the best investments you make in your training. So if you’re ready to take your performance to the next level, let PowerCal help get you there.

This combined with the NEW Joule 1.0 or Joule GPS is the ideal way to start learing about training with Power.

Due in stock in 2-4weeks.

• Replies 266
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Looks good to me and for 'comparative' training against yourself as opposed to against the power output of others probably does a good enough job?

Having said that as long as about 1000 ZA ronds doesn't mean 2000 ZA ronds as it often does by the time it is at 'retail' it would also be affordable!

guys will the strap work with my garmin devices, and if i have a powertap will the 2 not interfere?

whats the accuracy ratio compared to the benchmarks?

This is great news. Have been looking for a PowerTap for a while now, but I simply cannot afford them. This will give me a solution for better training. :thumbup:

guys will the strap work with my garmin devices, and if i have a powertap will the 2 not interfere?

From the website: So my guess is yes.

• ANT+ compatible: pair with Joule/Joule GPS or any ANT+ compatible display

Looks good to me and for 'comparative' training against yourself as opposed to against the power output of others probably does a good enough job?

Having said that as long as about 1000 ZA ronds doesn't mean 2000 ZA ronds as it often does by the time it is at 'retail' it would also be affordable!

i am pushing very very hard to keep it as close to the R1000 mark is possible maybe even less

yes it will work with MOST 3rd party computers as long as they work off ANT+, what you would do is pair the PowerCal as a Power Meter and NOT a HR monitor, i am still yet to find out if the same PowerCal would also need to be paired as a HR or not.

the great thing about ANT+ is that each product will have its own unique code so no need to worry about other Power devices.

i am pushing very very hard to keep it as close to the R1000 mark is possible maybe even less

:thumbup: then I take one for sure, will you post when they are in stores and which have them or will it be online sales?

This is great news. Have been looking for a PowerTap for a while now, but I simply cannot afford them. This will give me a solution for better training. :thumbup:

please remember the PowerCal is not a replacment to the PowerTap but should be seen as training tool to help score workouts and track fitness.

Is this the one where you have to calibrate it?

no CycleOps USA have decided to do away with the calibration so no longer a need to calibrate this system.

Question is how does it calculate watts based on heart rate? If you take a relatively fit person compared to an unfit person. Both could be pushing the same heart rate but with completely different power outputs.

Don't get me wrong. I am merely asking the question.