Carrying tools etc?

Clinton1

Camelbak with tools for races and rides over 2 hours. Otherwise I only carry a multi tool and my cellphone.

• Tubes are for noobs. Get yourself a bottle of stans, valves and duck tape and make your damn bike tubeless.

• If you are tubeless you don't need tyre levers or patches.

• If you break down often enough to have the need to carry a multi tool, buy a flat one with a chain breaker and drop it in your shirt.

• GU and snacks goes into your shirt, but for rides >2 there's no need for GU. 1 Bottle of your energy drink is enough. Rides over 2 hours you have the camelbak.

• Cellphone, a R50 note and a bomb can also go into your shirt's pockets.

The marking of the seat post is the only thing that puts me off a saddle bag.

Sounds to me like you are also preoccupied with how you look.

Edited by wheelerdealer

• Replies 290
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Put the stuff in your pockets... thats what they are there for.

The KISS rule applies...Keep It Simple Stupid.

Don't see any saddle bags on TDF

I'm not riding the TDF .....

Mmmm neither do you see TDF riders with multi tool, cell phones etc in their pockets.

ROADIE USE

I use a storage bottle, 750ml.

Leaves me with one bottle cage for fluids during training.

During racing, I use jersey pockets.

Edited by Puncheur

Mmmm neither do you see TDF riders with multi tool, cell phones etc in their pockets.

true but my pockets is big enough for those fings, got free of em you know

true but my pockets is big enough for those fings, got free of em you know

You da man :thumbup:

Yes true, but if you pack well... two tubes, tire levers, multi tool, two bombs, quick stick patches, cable ties, duct tape, mini pump that takes bombs too, speed link, hundred rand note (for beer or to use as gaiter on split tire) and cell phone will fit into one pocket.

This leaves the other two for snacks and arm warmers.

Camelbak with tools for races and rides over 2 hours. Otherwise I only carry a multi tool and my cellphone.

• Tubes are for noobs. Get yourself a bottle of stans, valves and duck tape and make your damn bike tubeless.

Thanks for your response. It did seem a little condascending though so apoligies if mine comes across as a little rude but I'm jsut saying it as I think it.

I see no need to go tubeless. I have only suffered one puncture in 7 months. Of course every man and his dog insists I go tubeless, on occasion throwing in comments like "noob" in an attempt to up the peer pressure. Until I see value in something I do not do it. Currently, based on my riding habits, I see no need to conform yet.

• If you are tubeless you don't need tyre levers or patches.

There's a valid reason but then again those two things take up very little space. And from what I have read online many folks with tubeless carry tubes with them anyway so I'd only be saving on the patches? But of course at the expense of going tubeless.

If you break down often enough to have the need to carry a multi tool, buy a flat one with a chain breaker and drop it in your shirt.

This is a rather stupid comment, if you don't mind me saying. No one plans on breaking down which is exactly the reason for carrying tools with you. You almost seem to imply not bothering to carry any tools which seems to go against what almost everyone else says about being self sufficient.

• Cellphone, a R50 note and a bomb can also go into your shirt's pockets.

Already said that I'm not a fan of putting too much in my shirt pockets. Food is fine because if you come off it squashes.

Sounds to me like you are also preoccupied with how you look.

I'm not really certain how damage to my bike equates to me being preoccupied with how I look?

Well said Ben.

To the rest, do you really carry ALL that stuff in your jersey just to avoid using a saddle bag? It makes far more sense to me having that additional weight attached to your bike rather than moving around with you.

Yes true, but if you pack well... two tubes, tire levers, multi tool, two bombs, quick stick patches, cable ties, duct tape, mini pump that takes bombs too, speed link, hundred rand note (for beer or to use as gaiter on split tire) and cell phone will fit into one pocket.

This leaves the other two for snacks and arm warmers.

And your shirt does not strangle you as a result of this? That is a lot of weight in your shirt. Although I wil look into packing everything into one pocket and see how it goes. Just seems to be that it might be uncomfortable.

And your shirt does not strangle you as a result of this? That is a lot of weight in your shirt. Although I wil look into packing everything into one pocket and see how it goes. Just seems to be that it might be uncomfortable.

well if your jersey feels heavvy you can take the chance and dump the multi tool and one tube, but i am talking roadie stuff here tubes are a lot less bulky, the Botrager ones are nice çause they come wrapped in plastic.

Thanks for your response. It did seem a little condascending though so apoligies if mine comes across as a little rude but I'm jsut saying it as I think it.

I see no need to go tubeless. I have only suffered one puncture in 7 months. Of course every man and his dog insists I go tubeless, on occasion throwing in comments like "noob" in an attempt to up the peer pressure. Until I see value in something I do not do it. Currently, based on my riding habits, I see no need to conform yet.

There's a valid reason but then again those two things take up very little space. And from what I have read online many folks with tubeless carry tubes with them anyway so I'd only be saving on the patches? But of course at the expense of going tubeless.

This is a rather stupid comment, if you don't mind me saying. No one plans on breaking down which is exactly the reason for carrying tools with you. You almost seem to imply not bothering to carry any tools which seems to go against what almost everyone else says about being self sufficient.

Already said that I'm not a fan of putting too much in my shirt pockets. Food is fine because if you come off it squashes.

I'm not really certain how damage to my bike equates to me being preoccupied with how I look?

Well said Ben.

To the rest, do you really carry ALL that stuff in your jersey just to avoid using a saddle bag? It makes far more sense to me having that additional weight attached to your bike rather than moving around with you.

Why do you always want to engage in a wie se piel is die grootste debat with me? I am giving you my personal opinion. If you don't want to use a camelbak, you use a pouch, if you don't want to use a pouch you use your pockets, if you don't want to use your pockets, you use a bottle and if you don't want to use a bottle then you bloody leave your tools at home.

There's a few reasons why people go tubeless.

1.) You cut down 150 -200 grams on weight.

2.) It's easy to maintain.

3.) You don't need extra tubes or patches (another 80 grams gone).

If you want to be stubborn and follow your own rocky road then ride with your tubes.

If you don't plan on breaking down then why carry tools? The reason for tools is cause you are planning for when you WILL eventually break down, not so?

I already said I carry a multi tool, how am I not self sufficient?

I am giving you info. Use it, don't use but don't try to argument with me.

Why do you always want to engage in a wie se piel is die grootste debat with me?

Do I? Apologies, I hadn't even noticed. It was the first time I've come across your name as far as I am concerned. The fact you state we have discussed things before makes me now realise why the tone of your response seemed condascending. Perhaps a little chip on the shoulder?

I am giving you my personal opinion. If you don't want to use a camelbak, you use a pouch, if you don't want to use a pouch you use your pockets, if you don't want to use your pockets, you use a bottle and if you don't want to use a bottle then you bloody leave your tools at home.

I appreciate opinions but when it is put across with a certain tone it tends to be taken wrong. And I already apologised up front if this was the case.

There's a few reasons why people go tubeless.

1.) You cut down 150 -200 grams on weight.

Ah yes, this is where I could make "derogatory" comments about weight weenies and the like but I'll refrain.

2.) It's easy to maintain.

How so? Unless you are getting punctures all the time then tubes are just as easy to maintain (ie you never have to do anything)

3.) You don't need extra tubes or patches (another 80 grams gone).

I covered this already.

If you want to be stubborn and follow your own rocky road then ride with your tubes.

There we go again sprinkling little words like stubborn in to show that you actually do not accept any opinion other than your own. I have stated categorically that I am yet to see the need for going tubeless. It'll cost me and I have only had one puncture in 7 months. So why? For the few grams weight saving. No need thanks. When I see the need I'll do it. It has little to do with being stubborn.

If you don't plan on breaking down then why carry tools? The reason for tools is cause you are planning for when you WILL eventually break down, not so?

Oh come now. No wonder you reckon we have had "run ins" before on here. You were the one that said only those "who break down often enough" would require tools as if to insinuate that myself/my bike were inferior and thus suffered more breakdowns than usual.

I am giving you info. Use it, don't use but don't try to argument with me.

Perhaps do a little work on your tone then. The advice is appreciated, which I also already said, but your delivery sucks.

Edited by Clint_ZA

Wasn't my intentions to challenge or frown upon you. Never meant my bike/dick is bigger/better. I will check my tone.

Here is my setup for 5 hour plus marathon or stage race riding:

Saddle bag with multitool, chainbreaker, powerlinks, tyre levers, cash, CO2 bombs, tubeless repair grommets.

If this is pre packed it's one less thing to worry about on the morning of an early start. Just strap it on and go. If you ride longer, more technical rides you WILL eventually need to fix a chain, gear cable, sidewall cut and not having what you need can ruin an expensive stage race or ride.

Keeping the weight on the bike also saves you having to lift it up and down when standing on your MTB over technical sections.

The spare tube I tape on only for rocky rides where I think sidewall cuts are a possibilty.

My seat tube is marked but its alu so who cares?

If others laugh at your saddlebag tell them to quit sucking your wheel.

Use and do what works for you let the rest eat your dust.

post-7301-0-53441400-1341206454.jpg