Carrying tools etc?

Clinton1

Saddlebags are cool, I just hate trying to cram everything in there. I prefer being organised and being able to get to things quickly.

Once you used to riding with a pack, you feel naked without it. This is how I roll:

http://i96.photobucket.com/albums/l178/DragonReef5/DakineDrafter.jpg

• Replies 290
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Race: Tube taped to seatpost, 2 x bottles (1 on seatpost which means no space for bag), 2 x bombs, 1 x pump, chain breaker (with 2 allen keys), spare link, 2 x GU, dried fruit, plugs & tool.

Own rides: All the above + Camelbak, more food, jacket, fleece, sunblock, more tools, phone.

Saddle bag with bombs, small sharp knife, puncture patches, CamelBak with liquids, pump, tyre levers, cable ties, multitool with chain breaker, phone, cash.

This is my default for all rides, long or short.

Dont forget to save 100g folks, go to the loo before you ride.

Edited by Richard Best

Wasn't my intentions to challenge or frown upon you. Never meant my bike/dick is bigger/better. I will check my tone.

It was late and I was probably a little grumpy too. Apologies.

Keeping the weight on the bike also saves you having to lift it up and down when standing on your MTB over technical sections.

This is something that I always think. It makes far more sense having the weight on your bike.

I did further looking last night and considered the camelbak option but there were a few things going against it:

1. You look even more silly when you go on a social (ie beach front) ride with a camelbak on your back. You are, however, not immune to having breakdowns on these rides so I'd still want to take tools with.

2. As mentioned above, having the weight on your person rather than on the bike seems like a negative. I know these camelbaks are well designed to distribute the weight but the thing it is is still being held up by you.

3. It gets hot in Durbs in summer. I want as little as possible creating heat against my body. I can only imagine the sweat between the camelbak and my back.

Seems that a saddle bag is the only sensible option. I considered the tools in a bottle in a cage option but I already carry two water bottles with me so it would mean the need for a third cage (possibly behind the seat) which I don't really fancy. So the next question I suppose is which one you chaps use and would you recommend it. I have my eye on this:

http://www.olympiccycles.co.za/uploads/e4cb09160ffc49a8afc2562b0710f4bb-30092011-1211_400_max.jpg

Edited by Clint_ZA

Seems that a saddle bag is the only sensible option. I considered the tools in a bottle in a cage option but I already carry two water bottles with me so it would mean the need for a third cage (possibly behind the seat) which I don't really fancy. So the next question I suppose is which one you chaps use and would you recommend it. I have my eye on this:

http://www.olympiccycles.co.za/uploads/e4cb09160ffc49a8afc2562b0710f4bb-30092011-1211_400_max.jpg

Get the one with the straps rather than a bracket. Seen some of those brackets break

I have both camelbak and a bottle type holder with the same tools. When going on long rides I use the Camelbak and shorter rides I will use the bottle. I keep a spare tube in a tri-bag on the bike and I also put keys and phone in here. I can only comment on what I have used in the past but the cheapy saddle bags either get holes worn into them as there is no protection on the inside from items rubbing against the material, they get dirty really easy and if not waterproof your tools start to go manky, and then the straps tend to fall apart as you try to keep the bag nice and tensioned against the saddle/seat post so as not to hear it swinging around etc. You can also have issues with the clip system depending on the position of your seat rails to the seat post. I just keep extra clothing in my shirt pockets.

Get the one with the straps rather than a bracket. Seen some of those brackets break

The cheapies I have used have had this issue.

The cheapies I have used have had this issue.

I have read such conflicting reports on this specific one. Some say it is really hardy others complain about breakages. The reason I considered the clip is that I like the idea of less movement of the saddle bag. I have also had problems with the stitching on the velcro ones coming off on an old bag but I suppose at least that can be restitched.

If you use a bottle make sure it is secured in the cage somehow ..... I lost it from a seatpost one as well as from a normal 'frame' mounted one!

Luckily both times I got it back :)

My cycling 'mentor' told me more than 20 years ago:-

"To look cool, ride without a tubby bag. Put one small tube, a mini pump and one tyre lever in your middle back pocket. To look extra-cool, ride without a tubby bag and with nothing in your pockets. This is cool because it means you must have a team car following you with all your spares/tools/food"

I don't like the way tubby bags, as we called them, eventually mark your seatpost especially on an MTB .... I use them on road bikes but use a camelback for long MTB rides (more than an hour) and carry a few important things for shorter rides in my pockets. Worst case if I'm stranded my son will fetch me or I'll walk (has happened)

One of the numerous uses for duct tape, wind round the seatpost and problem solved. :D

One of the numerous uses for duct tape, wind round the seatpost and problem solved. :D

Ai ai ai Scotman *SMH* ..... So I buy this 'fancy schmancy' carbon/titanium seatpost wif fancy graphics and colours to match my bike then cover it in gaffer tape :whistling:

I have read such conflicting reports on this specific one. Some say it is really hardy others complain about breakages. The reason I considered the clip is that I like the idea of less movement of the saddle bag. I have also had problems with the stitching on the velcro ones coming off on an old bag but I suppose at least that can be restitched.

Saddle bag on a road bike is fine.It's a hazard on an MTB.When you fall,and you will fall,for some reason the saddle bag is in the firing line.Had two break like that.

There is only one sensible option and that is a Camelbak.Bottles are probably the most unhygenic.Apart from dust and mud,the potential for cow sh*t and even worse human sh*t is pretty high.

It was late and I was probably a little grumpy too. Apologies.

This is something that I always think. It makes far more sense having the weight on your bike.

I did further looking last night and considered the camelbak option but there were a few things going against it:

1. You look even more silly when you go on a social (ie beach front) ride with a camelbak on your back. You are, however, not immune to having breakdowns on these rides so I'd still want to take tools with. Why the need to take so many tools when riding the beachfront? You need a tube & tyre levers,or rather some levers & patches(into the back pocket. Even better, don't bother its not like the walk back is gonna be far. I doubt on a training ride you are gonna puch it so hard you end braking a chain, so a small multi-tool would suffice.

2. As mentioned above, having the weight on your person rather than on the bike seems like a negative. I know these camelbaks are well designed to distribute the weight but the thing it is is still being held up by you. if the weights not on your back its somewhere else, you still need to move it from A to B an back again.

3. It gets hot in Durbs in summer. I want as little as possible creating heat against my body. I can only imagine the sweat between the camelbak and my back. I ride with a camelpack in Summer no probs, you gonna sweat either way, whats a little more, it really is not as bad as you think.

Seems that a saddle bag is the only sensible option. I considered the tools in a bottle in a cage option but I already carry two water bottles with me so it would mean the need for a third cage (possibly behind the seat) which I don't really fancy. So the next question I suppose is which one you chaps use and would you recommend it. I have my eye on this: The saddle bag is not the only sensible option, you have been given two other more sensible options as well. http://www.olympiccycles.co.za/uploads/e4cb09160ffc49a8afc2562b0710f4bb-30092011-1211_400_max.jpg

Had both...camelbak all the way...but the one that has the frame in it stopping it from sitting right on your back.

Why is it better...you can carry more juice...you can freeze a block of ice in the bladder and mix your water/drink in it giving you ice cold hydration on tap, space for garments that you want to remove(biggie comes winter in gauteng)...space for all the spares in the world.

You look even more silly when you go on a social (ie beach front) ride with a camelbak on your back.

For beach front rides you don't need a Camelbak. Leave the pack at home.

You are, however, not immune to having breakdowns on these rides so I'd still want to take tools with.

For a short social ride, you can put a few tools in a spare bottle or a tubby bag.

It gets hot in Durbs in summer. I want as little as possible creating heat against my body. I can only imagine the sweat between the Camelbak and my back.

The Camelbaks are designed to wick sweat away from your body with a foam type bad between the pack and your back. Make no mistake, you are still going to sweat, but it isn't nearly as bad as you think.

Seems that a saddle bag is the only sensible option. I considered the tools in a bottle in a cage option but I already carry two water bottles with me so it would mean the need for a third cage (possibly behind the seat) which I don't really fancy.

There are many options. Unfortunately there is no one option that covers every scenario.

For long rides, I would recommend a Camelbak. If you want to carry enough spares to fix almost every eventuality, get a Mule. 3l of hydration and enough packing space to carry spares, tubes, pump, tools, clothing as well as food.

For shorter rides, used a spare bottle for tools and you will only need one bottle for hydration.

If all else fails, get a Topeak Large saddle bag that will hold your tubes, tools and some spares. That way you will have it with you all the time but you will be limited to what you can carry.

In most cases you are going to have to make a sacrifice somewhere.

Personally I don't like anything in my pockets except food.

Good luck with your decision.

couple of years back I had a seariaaaas crash attempting a big double jump and ended up with a cracked hip and fractured spine.

If I wasnt wearing my camelbak it would have been much worse.