Carrying tools etc?

Clinton1

Huh? So instead of asking for recommendations I must go out and buy a saddle bag, camelbak, water bottle tool holder and then try them all out myself and decide.

Short answer-Yes, we have all had to do this.

Long answer- with all the varied preferences and biased opinions on this forum, what were you expecting ?

• Replies 290
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Nah the tube is plan D

Plan A is I doing farkol...stan's does its job, seals puncture I carry on hearing a slight hisssss that stops.

Plan B is I need to plug the hole...tape it with electric tape around rim and use 1 x bomb to inflate

Plan C is when the hole is too big to be plugged or its a sidewall cut...insert tyre boot add small bottle of stan's and use 1 x bomb to inflate

Plan D is when Plan C fails to hold air but at least covers sidewall cut, insert tube and use 1 x bomb to inflate

Fail to prepare...prepare to fail, you know that ol chestnut

What he said.........although I tend to skip C and go straight to D.

I'm quite sure most members on here own at least 2 x camelbaks, various saddlebags and an assortment of other bags/containers. Go what you're comfortable with and you'll soon enough discover what you need to carry.

I now carry three bombs have had to use a bomb after a plug, and then had to use a bomb after a tear, and then totally ripped the tear and had to use a tube. All in one fun race.

Ja it never rains hey...I find that if I start using bombs I almost always finish the whole lot I take with in the scenarios I pointed out above. The biggest mistake I made was never taping my plugs, they almost always use to pull out fairly quickly after I fitted them

Short answer-Yes, we have all had to do this.

Long answer- with all the varied preferences and biased opinions on this forum, what were you expecting ?

I was not expecting a straight decisive answer at all. I was expecting opinions. Which makes the comments by some that the answer was given on page one all the more stupid. That implies there is a right answer, which implies arrogance, which is what I was saying.

If opinions are something to be frowned upon and not shared then why even bother having a forum...

Edited by Clint_ZA

After carring a saddle bag for years on my mtb, I now carry the needed in my back pocket. Simple-if it does not fit in your pocket than you are carring 2 much. You only need a tube, power link, bomb, multitool and levers. And your spare medical aid card! Strap the tube or bomb to the saddle post.

Exactly :thumbup:

Tubeless

2 x bombs (big ones)

1 x tube

1 x pump

And plugs & tool of course.

Thats the whole idea of 2bliss and gunk.Get punctures all the time and they seal.If they dont seal we plug it.and if its too big to plug we patch it and thats where the bomb comes in

Use the pump I pack on the downtube.

but,. if the truth be said, in 18 months of tubeless, No Flats! LOL

+ 1 x mini bottle of stan's

There's a big difference when packing for a race (and also depends on type of race) and for normal training / riding.

If i do a short i.e. XC lap type race i'll only take a bomb or maybe even nothing, get a flat or chain issue then tuff race over walk back to pits an sulk.

Marathons, camel bak with stuff in it

Training or normal non race riding, camel bak with stuff in it and maybe a small camera... just in case I see any passing UFO's

Edited by SwissVan

This post below implies confusion.

http://lh3.ggpht.com/-Kkmkw_Y4l70/TCQWOM9ewkI/AAAAAAAAA7A/Y_hbsqoxcRE/UCImageWS.ashx%25255B1%25255D.jpg

I was not expecting a straight decisive answer at all. I was expecting opinions. Which makes the comments by some that the answer was given on page one all the more stupid. That implies there is a right answer, which implies arrogance, which is what I was saying.

Training or normal non race riding, camel bak with stuff in it and maybe a small camera... just in case I see any passing UFO's

A phone/camera has not been included in anyone's critical item list but it is definitely something that's be with me at all times too.

What do u chaps do when / if your bomb is not enough i.e. multiple punctures on the same ride?

I use the tube attached to my seatpost.. If that punctures I use patches. I will carry two bombs, otherwise I walk back or just get a taxi.

This post below implies confusion.

I would try and make it simple but I'm afraid I am not suitably qualified to do so ;)

Ja it never rains hey...I find that if I start using bombs I almost always finish the whole lot I take with in the scenarios I pointed out above. The biggest mistake I made was never taping my plugs, they almost always use to pull out fairly quickly after I fitted them

Thanks - Top Tip!! (now just need to figure out where to keep the electrical tape)

or how to carry your own spares.

Indeed. Hence me approaching a forum filled with apparent experts to hear their opinions :)

I use the tube attached to my seatpost.. If that punctures I use patches. I will carry two bombs, otherwise I walk back or just get a taxi.

Naahhh you said bomb...singular if I'm not mistaken....

Thats my point, bombs are great but I always carry a small pump in my camelbak just in case. On the road bike I take only 1 bomb but with skinny tubes you get a generaly second chance if you stuff it up first time.

TBH its just for in case sakes... I've never had to use the pump, yet...

Thanks - Top Tip!! (now just need to figure out where to keep the electrical tape)

Use a roll around the house....tape the cat's tail to it's head, tape funny facial expression and scare the crap out of your wife / children, then when you reach the last 25% of the roll put it in your camelbak that is the butterzone, you will save 3 grams and have hours of fun ;)

Nah the tube is plan D

Plan A is I doing farkol...stan's does its job, seals puncture I carry on hearing a slight hisssss that stops.

Plan B is I need to plug the hole...tape it with electric tape around rim and use 1 x bomb to inflate

Plan C is when the hole is too big to be plugged or its a sidewall cut...insert tyre boot add small bottle of stan's and use 1 x bomb to inflate

Plan D is when Plan C fails to hold air but at least covers sidewall cut, insert tube and use 1 x bomb to inflate

Fail to prepare...prepare to fail, you know that ol chestnut

Pre-Plan A is have thorn protector things, or snakeskins

Plan A is avoid sharp stuff

Plan C is rip out the punctured tube and replace with a new one.

Popping plugs or cut sidewalls are not so much of an issue