Where to swim, open water, in Johannesburg this Winter 2012

Seeker911

Ok so we got 5150 in Aug and Midmar 70.3 in October and I know its frikken freezing at the moment. I have just started swimming again in our local gym pool BUT was wondering where to go in and around central Johannesburg to do some SAFE open water swims without having to drive 50km to get there ?

Safe as in no Hippo's, Garfields and / or sewerage etc etc

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Did you fall off your bike and hit your head? I cannot even hold my hand in the pool for 30 seconds to adjust the Kreepy.

Ok so we got 5150 in Aug and Midmar 70.3 in October and I know its frikken freezing at the moment. I have just started swimming again in our local gym pool BUT was wondering where to go in and around central Johannesburg to do some SAFE open water swims without having to drive 50km to get there ?

Safe as in no Hippo's, Garfields and / or sewerage etc etc

Need I highlight more !

Edited by Iron

Did you fall off your bike and hit your head? I cannot even hold my hand in the pool for 30 seconds to adjust the Kreepy.

Yes must agree with you there. Changed the sand in my pool filter last weekend wow what an experience. I had to stick my hand through the tiny access hole and empty the damn thing using a cup.

I swim at base 3 in Olifantsfontein in warmer weather. “Warmer weather” being the key part to that sentence. I don’t even want to think about going in there this time of the year.

You have swim, open water, Johannesburg & winter in the heading of your post.

That's like " an irishman, englishman and scotsman walks into a pub"...

- You just know it's going to be stupid :blink:

Edited by Spartan226

Now if Bactive was on the ball, he would be promoting his event in Durban in July. That's an open water swim that would be quite enjoyable.

I am also training for 5150, do 90% of it in heated gym pool.....but you need the open water "experience"

I am one of the okes who swim in Emmerentia dam, done more than 20 swims there and no issues (last one in May)

Will probably be doing some swims there in Aug again, let me know if you want to join.

Mate of mine got really ill for a few days after swimming in Emmerentia a few months ago. There were a couple of guys there that day and they all got ill.

Take some charcoal tablets before you swim, if you must.

• 2 weeks later...

I have swum emmerentia a few times, havent got sick once. Neither have any of the other guys I train with.

All you need to do is phone Dabs for their latest water quality readings.

In winter in Emmerentia is a bit chilly, but then again, if you doing tri's and eventually ironman, you need to grab a wetsuit and harden the f* up - swim in the afternoon

Base 3 is also really nice to swim in, be careful of leeches in the reeds area, but not serious.

If only they could get that damn hippo out of Heia...and drop their prices to enter

So Glad im Seeing this Post.

We are also a couple of guys who just purchased our Tri-Wetsuits last week and week.

And we need to test them out at least 3 times before 5150.

So what is the Conclusion here on the open water swimming?????

Base 3 sound like the only place looking at the posts where no one got sick?!?

Any other recommended places?!? We are willing to drive....

Dabs Canoe club do regular water quality tests at Emmarentia dam. The last results I saw showed more than acceptable water quality levels. Water source for Emmies is just up road in Melville so the opportunities for 'impurities' to enter the water are limited but no doubt you will get days when it is worse than others.

Also training for 5150 and 70.3 - would like to join in on a group swim in open water? pool getting boring.