Full Face Helmet and neck brace for XC

ramsew

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

No probs, I guess the full DH lids are the best. Its like when I bought my first superbike and needed a helmet. The guy said, well do you want to get up with an injury or without!!

No probs, I guess the full DH lids are the best. Its like when I bought my first superbike and needed a helmet. The guy said, well do you want to get up with an injury or without!!

LOL,ye no doubt FF,rekon ima get 1 of the MTB specific FF helms,more vents lighter & smaller impact protection(ie concussions).From what ive read DOT & evs/eps/ecs foam over the SNELL :thumbup:

Edited by 2Nutz

This thread has really got me thinking

So who out there would wear an XC full face lid .... I rather like the idea and after having before broken a helmet on a rock after a tree stepped out and knocked me off the trail into the said rock. I was lucky as I was able to turn my head just in time to avoid it being my face making contact with the rock. My best mates wife to be also rather recently had a nicely swollen lip from making contact with an immobile object.

Now there were a couple of other close calls on the trials too that could have gone awry.

CRC have a couple of helmets on sale at the moment and for around R750 you walk away with a good THE helmet ...

Should all riders not really be using a full face helmet for any MTB riding (Maybe even gravel travel riders) as the roadie XC lids we have will really not do much other than protect mostly the brain and not much more.

If rider call for better and lighter full face lids then in short time the helmet manufacturers generally should be producing lighter, better ventilated and stronger lids at fair prices?

I am considering a full face lid after this .... but I will be wearing lycra at times too :)

hairy... here's one of the full face lids I'm currently dreaming of...

http://www.cyclowired.jp/sites/default/files/images/2011/07/12/ixa_c_gm11_white2nd.jpg

Kabuto (OGK) IXA Carbon. 200g lighter than a TLD D3. Sadly it's the price of complete MTB (beginner MTB, but still)

Hey guys any1 know what % duties/customs they charge on helmets >? :thumbup:

& do gloves fall under clothing or protection >? :thumbup: TY

clothing and clothing.

I think it's 30% on helmuts and 40% on clothing (ex vat) but I could be wrong. Remember, VAT is added on top of the total amount after duties, not the gross amount.

If ordering form CRC then one should pay VAT as well as a 25% duty on protective gear.

BUT... the last 4 or so orders which I have placed, have contained shoes, helmets, knee guards etc. I think if the majority of the items in the package are parts (0%duty), then customs seems to miss the fact that there's a taxable item in there.

So it is a gamble, but you never know... you may get lucky!

Guest Omega Man

@ the OP.

I don't think it's wise to ride with one of those Giro psuedo full face helmets and a neck brace. The brace would probably just break the chin piece.

The Urge might be a different matter cos it's basically their ff lid with a bigger mouth opening.

Thing is. You'd get flipping hot riding xc in a fullface and neck brace so you'd end up taking it off when riding uphill (Like I do) and only use it for the descents.

You also mentioned that the fall you witnessed was a spinal injury. A Fullface won't help you there and a neckbrace is designed to transfer forces away from your cervical spine (Neck). There's LOOOOOTS of detractors saying that they actually are the cause of increased concussion, clavical, Thoracic spine and sternum injuries. Myself included.

Of course there's also a multitude of riders who will not ride without one and swear blindly that their lives have been saved on multiple occasions by a neck brace. But if you look at AMA motocross races you'll see brace usage numbers dwindling. Not that that's really a measure.

If you are riding xc maybe your money might be better spent attending a proper skills course. Just a thought.

Edited by Omega Man

clothing and clothing.

I think it's 30% on helmuts and 40% on clothing (ex vat) but I could be wrong. Remember, VAT is added on top of the total amount after duties, not the gross amount.

If ordering form CRC then one should pay VAT as well as a 25% duty on protective gear.

BUT... the last 4 or so orders which I have placed, have contained shoes, helmets, knee guards etc. I think if the majority of the items in the package are parts (0%duty), then customs seems to miss the fact that there's a taxable item in there.

So it is a gamble, but you never know... you may get lucky!

Hmm,was thinking its 25% & 45% :thumbdown: which makes quite a difference in the price. Not shure the sa customs technicians will know between clothing & protection .My luck i will get lumbered . :mellow:

Might have to try find a FF locally , only better thing is i can try it on then.

Hmm,was thinking its 25% & 45% :thumbdown: which makes quite a difference in the price. Not shure the sa customs technicians will know between clothing & protection .My luck i will get lumbered . :mellow:

Might have to try find a FF locally , only better thing is i can try it on then.

it used to be the case that local FF options were liited and overpriced. Some shops would have a token Giro Remedy or Bell Bellistic on the showroom floor and would have it marked at R2000 or more.

That's why I got my 661 Evo from CRC. It looks better and cost me less.

BUT, with local online shops like www.dialdbikes.co.za or www.cwcycles.co.za it may be cheaper to buy locally... and they have some of the nicer lids.

661 Evo - R1615

661 Comp II - R1250 (pity Diald doesn't sell these anymore. They had them for R745)

Guest Omega Man

661 Comp II - R1250 (pity Diald doesn't sell these anymore. They had them for R745)

Comp doesn't have a removable lining. Not a good plan to buy one of these.

it used to be the case that local FF options were liited and overpriced. Some shops would have a token Giro Remedy or Bell Bellistic on the showroom floor and would have it marked at R2000 or more.

That's why I got my 661 Evo from CRC. It looks better and cost me less.

BUT, with local online shops like www.dialdbikes.co.za or www.cwcycles.co.za it may be cheaper to buy locally... and they have some of the nicer lids.

661 Evo - R1615

check out http://www.buycycle....fox-racing.html

R.899 for a FF helmet.

when i was 8 i face planted while riding a yamaha PW80. mouth was closed and you could see all my teeth.

FF helmets kids!

Thnx guys for the quick replies.

Been doing alot of interweb helmUt studies as of late.Have kinda norrowed it down.

Rockgardn pearl

Bluegrass brave

Specialized deviant

Fly default

Giro remedy

THE T2

Rockgarn is the 1,worried about sizing tho & online evry1 rates a Remedy & i have abit of a goon head so the wide lid might be better, did read the RockG quite wide too.Deviant also alot of raves def most vented FF but price locally will prob make me cry(apparently not the safest feeling lid)

That 661 wired evo not a bad price Patches ,its R1345 from crc so cheaper here,exept WTF diald have free shipping on orders over R2500 seems abit harsh as thats overseas prices , should be 500 like CWC or free D2D in our own dam country

Ye was looking @ the 611 comp too, light lots of vents same as the uvex FF.

edit:forgot the bluegrass :thumbdown:

Edited by 2Nutz