Dropper Posts: Things are hotting up

Iwan Kemp

Seems they are pretty bullet proof, mechanical lock and no hydraulics, air only to lift the post, cable remote. Seem pretty reliable, people seem to be mentioning that the hydraulic posts will fail/need attention after 1-2yrs no matter how you baby them but the doss keeps on soldiering on. Drawback is that the cable attaches to the post head so the remote cable will be moving around when the post goes up and down.

Droo have you ever worked on one or spoken to someone that's given them a service/opened one up, what's the service interval on them like?

• Replies 702
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Seems they are pretty bullet proof, mechanical lock and no hydraulics, air only to lift the post, cable remote. Seem pretty reliable, people seem to be mentioning that the hydraulic posts will fail/need attention after 1-2yrs no matter how you baby them but the doss keeps on soldiering on. Drawback is that the cable attaches to the post head so the remote cable will be moving around when the post goes up and down.

Droo have you ever worked on one or spoken to someone that's given them a service/opened one up, what's the service interval on them like?

Never even seen one in real life, which is why I'd want to open one up before I even considered spending money on it. I've read the reviews, but like a mail order bride you never quite know what you're getting till you've got it in your hands.

If it's like the Giant or KS units with sealed cartridges, they can keep it. If it's even vaguely similar to the Spez or Crank Brothers units, they can keep it twice.

RS have set the bar here, and anyone that wants my money will have to have 3 things:

1. Fully serviceable

2. Hydraulic remote

3. Fully serviceable

I'm not going to fork out close to R 5k on something that you throw away at the end of a season or two because it's a sealed unit and can't be repaired.

(And even at half price it's a stretch...)

Yip, i can...but I am being pedantic (like a true architect) and looking for the slimmest most minimal solution possible.

And in turn creating a world difficulty for myself! Eish! 

Not really like a "true" architect because you are creating problems for yourself. A true architect creates problems for everybody else... :whistling:

:clap:

If it's like the Giant or KS units with sealed cartridges, they can keep it. If it's even vaguely similar to the Spez or Crank Brothers units, they can keep it twice.

Apparently the DOSS is not user serviceable and they sell no service kits(to the public that is)

Challenge accepted.

Edit: Doesn't look too rough, nothing hydraulic in there at all.

http://ep1.pinkbike.org/p4pb7999027/p4pb7999027.jpg

Edited by droo

Seems a few people choose the DOSS after having the reverb and having reliability challenges. Appears the multi position drop thing has some advantages over the reverbs infinite drop, DOSS has predictable and faster drops. Still not sold on the grey area on the serviceability side, probably going to be a few parts needed to service it that only Fox sells and for a not a small price. Suppose the KS posts are in the same boat re servicing?

But I haven't really found much moaning or horror stories about them on the internet but it doesn't appear to be very popular or mentioned much and it's a product from a a giant like Fox, weird. Only thing that is mentioned consistently is the ungainly bar remote.

Droo could you phone Omnico and ask them what the situation is regarding spares/servicing?

KS is fully servicable, even though they say its not "user" serviceable, it actually is. I did a full service on mine the other day - new oil etc.. and it was pretty easy - its just a pain in the a$$ trying to pump it up with a modified soccer ball inflator.

My post was smooth as silk again afterwards.

Although having said that, I will go reverb when I'm up for replacement, they just seem like they don't need as much love as the KS.

KS is fully servicable, even though they say its not "user" serviceable, it actually is. I did a full service on mine the other day - new oil etc.. and it was pretty easy - its just a pain in the a$$ trying to pump it up with a modified soccer ball inflator.

My post was smooth as silk again afterwards.

Although having said that, I will go reverb when I'm up for replacement, they just seem like they don't need as much love as the KS.

Same. My kevlar string snapped. Easy as pie to replace...

Do you need to weight most dropper posts to get them to drop? Looks like the doss needs your body weight on it to drop.

Do you need to weight most dropper posts to get them to drop? Looks like the doss needs your body weight on it to drop.

They all need your body weight to drop

who's doing a 27.2mm?

KS and Thomson only?

Think the Hilo and Gravity dropper are available in those sizes as well.

I have the KS, a year in and so far so good...no issues. It is a completely sealed unit however (different to all the their other models) so services should be interesting...

Any users of the new Giant Dropper (Full black ones) that can comment on the post?

Stoke ... have you lots seen any of these showing poor wear?

Challenge accepted.

Edit: Doesn't look too rough, nothing hydraulic in there at all.

http://ep1.pinkbike.org/p4pb7999027/p4pb7999027.jpg

Looks like the main servicing areas will probably be a few O-rings in the air chamber with a dose of float fluid and some lube/grease elsewhere?

How does this thing stop the dropper part from axially rotating?

Common complaint on posts is how much they rotate, reports say the doss is good in that respect.

Hairy:

Seen one or two of then showing a bit of wear down the rear of the post, possibly from the majority of the pressure being placed on that portion of the bushing when pressing the post into the dropped position.

Generally the contact dropper is a pretty tough & resilient unit, until something goes wrong. That is when it becomes tricky to repair, with spares availability limited

Edited by MoreTrails