Dropper Posts: Things are hotting up

Iwan Kemp

Guest Omega Man

Damn dude! are they really that crap?

Oh well, mines held up so far, lets hope I get some decent use out of it before it decides to k@k

I have a joplin 4 and it lasted precisely 4 rides before it spewed ALL of it's oil onto the BB. It cost R2000. So let's say i went up and down 10 times a ride. That's 40 times. So each up and down cost R50 before it died. It still goes up and down but i have to pull it up and then it slowly sags about 15mm at which point i pull it up again. When it stops working completely It's going in the bin.

I would put it next to my bed to moer intruders but I don't want the remaining oil messing up my carpets. The mere existence of a company like Crank Brothers shows that mountain bikers are suckers for bling. Cos that's all their stuff is. Shiny poo.

Edited by Omega Man

• Replies 702
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Damn dude! are they really that crap?

Oh well, mines held up so far, lets hope I get some decent use out of it before it decides to k@k

Possibly worse even... TBH, if you bought is as a stop-gap then it's all good I suppose. But they have had issues from day till this day. Credit to RockShox who got on top of ONE problem quicker than most realized there was a problem. CB have released newer version, but they still suffer from the same core issues.

crow where did you buy that Lev? man they are awesome i really want one but cant find locally.

Cycle Factory (021) 5528285. The importers are the same guys who do Hope and Whyte and a couple of other brands so should be avialable from your LBS

As funny as that was ,it makes me sad..... :(

Prob never own a dropper then <_<

True story. Shop around for a good 2nd hand post. What diameter do you need? My Reverb is going up for sale...

Guest Omega Man

True story. Shop around for a good 2nd hand post. What diameter do you need? My Reverb is going up for sale...

DIBS!!!!! 30.9 Edit. Damn. I just interwebed and a mojo has a 31.6. undibs.

Edited by Omega Man

crow where did you buy that Lev? man they are awesome i really want one but cant find locally.

PM or phone 4barlinkage (Jason) 011 781 5324. He works for International Trade and they currently have stock as far as I know. Their premises are in Blairgowrie on Jan Smuts.

TBH I bought the Joplin before I actually googled reviews on it, it was such a good price I just snapped it up, only after I bought it did I see all the crap reviews on it. All I can do now is hope mine holds out better than most.

Problem is, now that I've experienced the joys of a dropper I dont want to have to go back to a standard post, so when this one goes I'm gonna have to fork out proper money for a decent one :(

Guest Omega Man

TBH I bought the Joplin before I actually googled reviews on it, it was such a good price I just snapped it up, only after I bought it did I see all the crap reviews on it. All I can do now is hope mine holds out better than most.

Problem is, now that I've experienced the joys of a dropper I dont want to have to go back to a standard post, so when this one goes I'm gonna have to fork out proper money for a decent one sad.png

I am in the same boat. Hoping the LEV comes down a bit in price by the time i need a new post cos DAMN it's expensive

I am in the same boat. Hoping the LEV comes down a bit in price by the time i need a new post cos DAMN it's expensive

If you aren't too concerned about cable routing then the i950R is an option at around 60% of the price of the Lev.

Guest Omega Man

If you aren't too concerned about cable routing then the i950R is an option at around 60% of the price of the Lev.

Ja. I've got the scrotum toucher joplin so i'll probly get the equivalent KS

Ja. I've got the scrotum toucher joplin so i'll probly get the equivalent KS

That reminds me of a hilarious story danger dassie told me recently about testing a Specialized dropper post for the first time. The long and short of it was that fact that the post takes approximately 0.128 seconds to extend from min to max height and does so with some force. It is especially painful when the post was set up for someone about a cm shorter than oneself.

Edited by slick

A commendation for the reverb:

For while I've been meanin to shorted the remote hose on my reverb, but the schlep of having to bleed it put me off.

Diring my ride on Tuesday I kept hearing some sort of rubbing noise every time I preloaded or landed hard. I noticed it was the hose catching the back wheel while the post is all the way down... the final motivation I needed to undertake the hose shortening schlep.

BUT... as it turns out, it's not a schlep at all.

Simply...

• actaute the seat to it's fully extended position
  • remove the remote from your bars
  • wind the barrel speed adjuster all the way out
  • unscrew the remote from the hose
  • trim to desired length
  • screw the remote back into the hose
  • remount to bars
  • done!

No bleeding is required if you are careful and keep the remote end of the hose higher than the seatpost.

Easy as that!

Thanks for that Patches. Have emailed it to my LBS as well!

One more thing from on the Reverb / Lev discussion: missing the ease of chancing the drop / rise speed of the Reverb. Reverb is done with the turn of a dial at the remote. To alter the Lev's "stroke" you have to change the amount of air and that is done at the top of the post which means removing the saddle. Bit of a pain.

• 1 month later...