SA Team : Track : Los Angeles

hammertoe

i think Matthysen got the wrong advice, coaching. Pity, lots of talent, maybe he start again without pressure.

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Groot Lem

I agree with you as development is concerned.  It's a pity that Kyle Swain quit cycling. All that talent-gone because no development. What happened to Mathysen (can't pronounce or spell his name). I saw him as a Junior at 2006 Track Champs in Durban.  Rode all events and won all gold except silver in the Points. I hope he is in some sort of development squad.   

Reniell Mathyssen hanged up his wheels a week agoCry.

Hein Kroff is the National Track commisionner. He runs a cycle shop in Paarl. Look up the number and give him a call and ask him all the questions instead of wasting your time speculating on the Hub.

add Garon Bloch , Reynold Smith and you have 4 trackies that could have been in the medals at the OG's if they were citizens of any other "cycling" country. 

Where is Garen Bloch?? Its such a pity that riders slip through into obscurity...

I still want to know what the time for the Elite Kilo at SA's was last year??

And the quickest qualifier and time at SA's for the sprint????

To answer you Grey Owl - 1 kilo last year: Blignaut 1:04 in windy and cold conditions at HNP.

I was not there, but the time was fantastic for the conditions. 7s faster than second place I heard from folks that were there.

Second place was 7seconds slower?

Ok,thats quite a bit. But I believe Blignaut is quite a beast.

Jaco, I'm glad to see your promoting the track, I really like your site, keep it up.

the lighties start too young and attain local success too easily. imho there should not be u10 / 12 cats. these kids should be doing it for fun and not for medals or prize money. they have their whole life to be serious about it.

What crap is Shortlegs causing?? He did not say anything about the Los Angeles selection.

Ok Wheels...to blatantly call somebody "Dum" and comment that they must "still be stupid"...thats not on. Not at all. I think as an official' date=' you owe a couple apologies here.

Selection is always a very difficult thing to do, I understand that. Its not a job that I would want to do personally...as I am sure everyone will give you crap for the choices made.

Grootlem, I fully agree that we need to spend time developing the younger riders. Thats where our cycling future lies.

Lets all support track...please!![/quote']

Oh man I love it when this sort of thing happens. Where are the likes of HR, Rac and no1? It's good to watch...

Where is Garen Bloch?? Its such a pity that riders slip through into obscurity...

Cut and pasted from cyclingsa.com 2007 Nationals

Event 1:          ELITE                              SPRINT                                   Qualifying Round<?:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" />

(Go to Event 36)

S.A. Record                   10,3s            D Edwards                 (KZN) 13/02/04

S.A. Champion          11,47s                    M Blignaut                  (WP)

CGC Record                                     

Q Time I: 11.8   C: 12.5

8 FASTEST TIMES TO QUARTER FINAL

1st      266          Morne Blignaut              10,74             

2nd      231          Michael Thomson              11,09

3rd      260          Wikus Esterhuizen          11,22            

4th      246          Jeanne Nell                     11,25

5th      247          Charl Jubber                      11,27  

6th      253          Rolffe Deppe                    11,70

7th      249          Morne Geers                     11,76        

8th      234          Gareth Smith                 11,80   

Why was Blignaut the only SA rider at the recent World cup rounds when other nations sent whole teams?

Hi,

Did some more research. Here are the facts for the kilo.

3 elite riders made it under 1min10s at SAs.

Blignaut 1.05s

Thomson 1.08s

Chait 1.08s

the lighties start too young and attain local success too easily. imho there should not be u10 / 12 cats. these kids should be doing it for fun and not for medals or prize money. they have their whole life to be serious about it.

not everyone can make a career out of being a cyclist (what's that expression? DUH?)

I started racing at that age and I would encourage any child to do so. Some fellow competitors continued and went on to the Olympics, others left the sport, which will happen at any age. Why limit kids when, I promise you, it's fun anyway? 

5.Shorts legs. I do remember you. Shorts legs like a small man sindrome. Stop your crapp and start doing something for cycling.

My two previous posts on this topic are:

Hey GreyOwl' date=' didn't you get selected to go to a world championship event a long time ago [/quote']

Won lots of races since then (granted in the UK) so that memory is very distant.

So which one offended you to warrant that sort of response? just out of interest so I know to which post I'm appologising forOuch

Thumbs%20DownPosted by WHEELS:

6.  OLD DOG Robbie Dale. He was one of the best track cyclists at his time.

Robbie Dale was an ok track cyclist on the National scenario, and possibly very good on the Western Province scenario, but in keeping with the initial thread of implying nepotism/favouritism in selection he would not have been representing SA overseas had he not had the appropriate connections. I used to watch him get trashed many times by roadies just "having a bit of fun" at Bellville.

Thumbs%20UpPersonally, I think that if a selectors son, husband, wife, girlfriend, etc., is in the selection stakes, then that selector should not be allowed to participate in that particular process.

Garen Bloch quit cycling a long time ago, last I heard he was working in Israel.